Technical Discussion
  >> Voice over IP (VoIP) Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User barker04
(member) Sat 02-Feb-19 12:45:39
Print Post

Porting BT landline number to VOIP

[link to this post]

I am looking at replacing my home broadband with 4g due to speed.

I want to keep my BT number and be able to use landline handsets too though when I cancel my BT line. I currently have an unlimited call package from BT so ideally looking for something similar if possible.

Any recommendations for the best way to do this and companies to use?
Standard User Michael_Chare
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 02-Feb-19 16:04:02
Print Post

Re: Porting BT landline number to VOIP

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

I am happy with Voipfone, who ported my BT landline to their VOIP service. I did find them very helpful sorting out a VOIP problem I had. I think Sipgate now also offer this service.

Michael Chare
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sat 02-Feb-19 23:27:24
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
I am happy with Voipfone, who ported my BT landline to their VOIP service. I did find them very helpful sorting out a VOIP problem I had. I think Sipgate now also offer this service.

OP said he wanted an unlimited call package, not something you can get from Voipfone. Call plans are available that shave a small percentage off the regular price but hardly worth the effort. Calls to 07 numbers are high at 10 ppm + VAT (Cheaper to ring the USA than it is to call a mobile next door.

On the other hand you get good customer service (only open during office hours) on a Freephone number and a reliable service close to 100%. No outbound service if power has failed.

Only possible to pay for the Voipfone service by Credit Card. Good call log facilities.
Whoever you run with, watch out for porting charges and whether your cherished number can be extracted from your current provider if you wanted to move on.

VoIP to VoIP calls are free between ALL subscribers on the Voipfone network.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Feb-19 12:09:12
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by trolleybus:
OP said he wanted an unlimited call package, not something you can get from Voipfone. Call plans are available that shave a small percentage off the regular price but hardly worth the effort. Calls to 07 numbers are high at 10 ppm + VAT (Cheaper to ring the USA than it is to call a mobile next door.
Yes, fortunately my Gigaset N300IP lets me automatically route calls to 07 numbers via DiscountVoip, or I just use the included minutes of a mobile phone contract.

Michael Chare
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 14:09:13
Print Post

[re: Michael_Chare] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Michael_Chare:
Yes, fortunately my Gigaset N300IP lets me automatically route calls to 07 numbers via DiscountVoip, or I just use the included minutes of a mobile phone contract.

Let's be sure what you are saying here. On your voip phone you have a sip accout with Discountvoip obtained from here: https://www.discountvoip.co.uk/sip

Once setup, that enables you to call United Kingdom Landlines for £ 0.0060. As for calling UK mobiles I am not sure what the rate would be, it might be either £ 0.1440 or £ 0.0036.

There is no unlimited call plan that I could see.

It is not immediately obvious if you can port a number in, which begs the question of what caller line presentation number would be used.

My impressing is that the OP is seeking an unlimited VoIP call package, for a fee, that uses his cherished number. Neither Voipfone or Discountvoip meets that prerequisite. Is there a hosted VoIP provider out there that does?
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-19 14:40:01
Print Post

Is there a hosted VoIP provider out there that does?

Sipgate, Vonage and Yay.com all offer unlimited calling plans. I think Sipgate are the cheapest at £9.95 per month for unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles. But they don't have a native smartphone app which allows you receive & make calls on your mobile using the same VOIP plan. Vonage and yay.com do (I'm with the latter). All allow you to port in a number from traditional landline operators such as BT, post office etc

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2

Edited by baby_frogmella (Sun 03-Feb-19 14:43:47)

Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 16:33:24
Print Post

You seem to have blinkered understanding of what is possible with VoIP, provided you use suitable equipment!

Many people use multiple VoIP accounts, sometimes dialling out on 1 account using the number of another account as CLI.

So the OP could do as I suspect @Michael_Chare is suggesting, i.e. using his old BT number ported to Voipfone as CLI for an outgoing call to a UK mobile via Discountvoip at around a third of a penny per minute and no setup charges. Any returned calls would be received on the Voipfone line.

All that (with automatic routing as suggested) is handled seamlessly by equipment such as the Gigaset N300 as mentioned.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 18:12:14
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

1. You seem to have blinkered understanding of what is possible with VoIP, provided you use suitable equipment!

Response: I am fully aware that you can have several sip accounts on appropriate hardware. And yes a dial plan will automatically choose the best route to use.

2. Many people use multiple VoIP accounts, sometimes dialling out on 1 account using the number of another account as CLI.

Response: Please elaborate on how this is achieved.

3. So the OP could do as I suspect @Michael_Chare is suggesting, i.e. using his old BT number ported to Voipfone as CLI for an outgoing call to a UK mobile via Discountvoip at around a third of a penny per minute and no setup charges. Any returned calls would be received on the Voipfone line.

Response: Yes Voipfone will port in his cherished number and outgoing calls will indeed show that number. Please provide chapter and verse of the configuration that allows the call to be routed through Discountvoip to a UK mobile but displaying the cherished number. You quote a call cost to a UK mobile using this method of a fraction of a penny. Seen on the Discountvoip site is two prices for calls to UK mobiles. It is not clear when the higher rate kicks in at 14 ppm.

The OP is probably new to VoIP and perhaps not understood the configuration that would be necessary.

4. All that (with automatic routing as suggested) is handled seamlessly by equipment such as the Gigaset N300 as mentioned.

Response: Well I have the same hardwire, so your response that shows the configuration required to achieve this would be of interest. Your knowledge is greater than mine, so sharing it would be most useful.
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 18:54:25
Print Post

My replies in blue;
Using the accounts previously mentioned as examples in the following answers;

1. You seem to have blinkered understanding of what is possible with VoIP, provided you use suitable equipment!

Response: I am fully aware that you can have several sip accounts on appropriate hardware. And yes a dial plan will automatically choose the best route to use.

Right, so dial plans do not need explaining ...

2. Many people use multiple VoIP accounts, sometimes dialling out on 1 account using the number of another account as CLI.

Response: Please elaborate on how this is achieved.

See Answer#3 and Answer#4 below ...

3. So the OP could do as I suspect @Michael_Chare is suggesting, i.e. using his old BT number ported to Voipfone as CLI for an outgoing call to a UK mobile via Discountvoip at around a third of a penny per minute and no setup charges. Any returned calls would be received on the Voipfone line.

Response: Yes Voipfone will port in his cherished number and outgoing calls will indeed show that number. Please provide chapter and verse of the configuration that allows the call to be routed through Discountvoip to a UK mobile but displaying the cherished number. You quote a call cost to a UK mobile using this method of a fraction of a penny. Seen on the Discountvoip site is two prices for calls to UK mobiles. It is not clear when the higher rate kicks in at 14 ppm.
Edit: I forgot to mention, all the calls to Mobiles that I've made via Discountvoip have been at the lower rate so I don't know when the higher price is charged.

The OP is probably new to VoIP and perhaps not understood the configuration that would be necessary.

After opening a Discountvoip account, go to the settings page on their site and enter any telephone number that you 'own' to be used as CLI. You will then receive a call from their system to the number entered and a 4 digit confirmation code will be spoken. You then enter that code into the web page and that's it, job done, number available for CLI, confirmed.
Depending on which VoIP device you wish to use this on may mean transposing the number for your AccountName in the UserName field and entering the AccountName in another field such as AuthenticationName.

4. All that (with automatic routing as suggested) is handled seamlessly by equipment such as the Gigaset N300 as mentioned.

Response: Well I have the same hardwire, so your response that shows the configuration required to achieve this would be of interest. Your knowledge is greater than mine, so sharing it would be most useful.

You claim to have the same hardware, so therefore it shouldn't be too difficult to use a dial plan as you mention in your Response#1 above. e.g. as @Michael_Chare suggested, simply route numbers beginning 07 via the Discountvoip account.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps

Edited by Rastus (Sun 03-Feb-19 19:10:13)

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 19:05:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by Rastus:
My replies in blue;
[snip]

Your response is much appreciated. I'll give it a go!
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 19:12:51
Print Post

My replies in blue;
[snip]

See edit in red to above post, possibly done after you read it.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Sun 03-Feb-19 19:33:43
Print Post

My replies in blue;
[snip]

See edit in red to above post, possibly done after you read it.

Seen it and noted.
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 04-Feb-19 13:11:16
Print Post

You seem to have blinkered understanding of what is possible with VoIP, provided you use suitable equipment!

Many people use multiple VoIP accounts, sometimes dialling out on 1 account using the number of another account as CLI.

So the OP could do as I suspect @Michael_Chare is suggesting, i.e. using his old BT number ported to Voipfone as CLI for an outgoing call to a UK mobile via Discountvoip at around a third of a penny per minute and no setup charges. Any returned calls would be received on the Voipfone line.

All that (with automatic routing as suggested) is handled seamlessly by equipment such as the Gigaset N300 as mentioned.
Yes, that is what I do.

IIRC Discountvoip had a procedure for ensuring I used an appropriate CLI.

Michael Chare
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Mon 04-Feb-19 20:50:17
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Sipgate, Vonage and Yay.com all offer unlimited calling plans. I think Sipgate are the cheapest at £9.95 per month for unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles. But they don't have a native smartphone app which allows you receive & make calls on your mobile using the same VOIP plan. Vonage and yay.com do (I'm with the latter). All allow you to port in a number from traditional landline operators such as BT, post office etc

Hi
As do Voiptalk.
Key
Standard User baby_frogmella
(knowledge is power) Mon 04-Feb-19 22:44:40
Print Post

[re: keymaster] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by keymaster:
In reply to a post by baby_frogmella:

Hi
As do Voiptalk.
Key

But Voiptalk donít appear to include unlimited calls to uk mobiles in any of their unlimited call plans.

FluidOne FTTPoD 330/30 Mbps
Linksys EA9500v2
Standard User ferretuk
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-19 12:28:58
Print Post

[re: barker04] [link to this post]

As others have posted, there are many VOIP providers out there and many of them allow number porting.

My only advice on top of this is to take an honest look at your phone usage and determine if you really need an unlimited package. Call costs vary between VOIP providers considerably, especially for calls to mobile networks. It may be that choosing a cheaper provider (or selection of providers) that doesn't have a call package is actually cheaper than one that does, based on your call patterns.

We're light phone users in our house and our call costs are rarely more than £3 to £4 per month across two separate 'lines'. YMMV of course!

Best of luck choosing a provider...

AAISP Home::1 Terabyte | IPv4 BQM | IPv6 BQM | AAISP VOIP | ER-Lite Router | Unifi AC-Lite Wifi AP
Standard User Rastus
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-19 14:44:01
Print Post

I think Sipgate are the cheapest at £9.95 per month for unlimited calls to UK landline & mobiles. But they don't have a native smartphone app which allows you receive & make calls on your mobile using the same VOIP plan.

I appreciate you said Sipgate don't have a native app to use their VoIP on a smartphone, but it's worth pointing out (as no doubt you're aware) that there are free third party apps which do the job very well, and having the advantage of being configurable with multiple VoIP accounts from different providers (including Sipgate).

e.g. I used to use Zoiper but following an update which I didn't like I now prefer CSipSimple which I've presently got configured with 4 VoIP accounts including 1 from Sipgate. I don't use VoIP on my mobile very often so I haven't bothered to find out if using dial plans is possible with CSipSimple, I just select the account I want to use manually which is simplicity itself.

Something to be aware of when configuring the same VoIP account on multiple devices is that some accounts do not allow this, which can result in the registration of the account flipping between the devices, i.e. as a device renews its registration, the other device(s) will lose theirs. Sipgate does not fall into this category.

FTTP 80/20 Mbps
Standard User keymaster
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-19 17:03:30
Print Post

Hi
Ah, you are correct, sorry
K
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to