Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 16-Jun-11 11:35:16
Print Post

Re: 123-reg spam filter

[re: webfusion] [link to this post]

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your reply.

I take it from your post that an email given a score of 10 by your system is probably spam, and an email given a score of 1 by your system is probably not spam (the traditional spam scoring method). Also, a delete settings of 9 will delete email given a score of 9 or over by your system, and a flag setting of 10 will flag emails given a score of 10 or over by your system (which would be impossible if the delete setting was 9 or over).

Is my understanding correct?

Oliver.
Standard User tates
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 14:48:11
Print Post

Oliver,
I am so glad I found your post on the forum as I was beginning to think that it was only me who thought the explainations on 123reg spam settings were at least confusing and indeed contradictory.

From the 123reg help pages I quote with numbered paras.

----------------
1) Use these settings to score your incoming emails for spam detection. A score of 10 means that the email won't appear as spam, while a score of 1 means the email is definitely spam.

2) If you set your delete level high enough spam emails will be automatically deleted. Please note: you cannot set your Spam delete level to a setting that is higher than your Spam flag level.

3) Note: In order to set the spam settings to weakest possible settings please choose 9 and 10, this will allow most emails to come through.

----------------------------------------------------

In para 2 123reg say if you set your spam settings high enough spam emails will be automatically deleted. This implies that a setting of 9 or 10 will delete spam. Yes?

In para 3 they say to set the settings to the weakest possible use 9 and 10. BUT these are high settings which in the earlier paragraph says you do this to auto delete spam.

These statements appear in contradiction. In one case 9 would delete in the other 9 will be a weak setting.

Then we get the second point - the system won't let you set the delete to a higher number than the warn. With the higher numbers meaning less rigourous spam filtering it would seem these are the wrong way around.

I think 123-reg changed their spam filtering system on the server after they had written the help and web pages and have left it in a most confusing state.

Also the radio buttons for turning on/off the spam filtering DONT WORK...

Don't hold your breath for a fix - all I get back from support is "use 9 & 10 if you want weakest spam filtering".

Insert Code
Standard User webfusion
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:03:26
Print Post

[re: tates] [link to this post]

Hi

We are actually revamping the email management section of the control panel.

We expect the changes to be available to customers before the end of the year.

Regards,

Ricky

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tates
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:05:02
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:
To me it says 1 is definite spam, 10 is unlikey to be spam, i.e. the reverse of most spam ranking software which ranks spam e-mails high and non-spam low.

Yes this would appear to be correct after practical tests. Setting your filter to a high number does not flag many emails as spam. So the filter tags emails with a score HIGHER than the filter setting number. That is why the delete/reject has to be set at the same or lower (i.e. more spammiy) setting. Would be much better if they worked the normal way of most spam ranking software.
Standard User tates
(newbie) Tue 01-Nov-11 15:19:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by webfusion:
Hi

We are actually revamping the email management section of the control panel.

We expect the changes to be available to customers before the end of the year.

Regards,

Ricky

Ricky,

I look forward to the revamp of the email control panel. As well as this spam setting issue it would be nice if when you say altered an email forwarding setting and confirmed it it then went back to the earlier page to allow more changes to the same email domain. At present it seems to go right back to the beginning and you have to select your domain from the drop down list once again. Not helpful for those with multiple domains and forwards set up.

Also I wonder why your control panel web pages seem to love LOVE blank lines. Yes by this I mean that on a normal little laptop you often have to scroll down past blank lines to get to the significant part. (hey just like your email above - extra blank lines before "Regards" .... smile

Andy
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Nov-11 22:57:12
Print Post

[re: tates] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tates:
Yes this would appear to be correct after practical tests. Setting your filter to a high number does not flag many emails as spam. So the filter tags emails with a score HIGHER than the filter setting number. That is why the delete/reject has to be set at the same or lower (i.e. more spammiy) setting. Would be much better if they worked the normal way of most spam ranking software.

This still doesn't make sense though. If spam scoring is the opposite to the norm, then an email given a score of 10 is less spammy than an email given a score of 5.

Well in that case setting the spam delete/flag levels to 1/2 should allow the most spam through, as opposed to 9/10.

We know that the spam delete level has to be lower than the spam flag score, which I agree backs up the theory that an email with a score of 5 is more spammy than an email with a score of 10. However 123-reg's advice to set the filter at 9/10 completely contradicts it.

The 123-reg spam filter control panel is an utter farce as it stands, it is entirely illogical.

Oliver.

Edited by Oliver341 (Wed 09-Nov-11 22:59:18)

Standard User henry669
(newbie) Thu 23-May-13 11:27:56
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

Did this issue ever get resolved? The 123-reg spam page still seems the same to me - and, I agree, illogical. In particular, is there a way to specify that emails marked as spam get delivered to a spam folder but not actually deleted? The obvious thing to do is to set the flagging threshold to, say, 5 and to set the deletion threshold to whatever means none get deleted. According to what the page says, this would be 10. But, if the flagging threshold is 5, the site stops you from setting the deletion threshold at anything higher than 5. My suspicion is that, actually, it is a deletion threshold of 0 that means nothing gets deleted - but I am reluctant to conduct tests because it might mean genuine emails getting deleted.
Standard User roseway
(experienced) Thu 23-May-13 12:31:11
Print Post

[re: henry669] [link to this post]

I couldn't work it out, and I lost some emails mysteriously at the time, so I decided to dump 123-reg and I moved my domains to 1&1.
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Thu 23-May-13 21:45:01
Print Post

[re: henry669] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by henry669:
Did this issue ever get resolved?

No, 123-reg's spam filter is still illogical despite the page being re-written, which is very bad for something as important as email delivery.

As you say, if someone wants to disable spam deletion, but enable spam flagging, then since 10 = weak filtering and 5 = medium filtering, you could conceivably think that deletion level 10 and flagging level 5 would be the best option. Except that the system doesn't allow this configuration, which makes no sense.

Oliver.
Standard User henry669
(newbie) Mon 17-Jun-13 10:45:12
Print Post

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

I've now conducted an extensive "dialogue" with 123-reg by means of opening a support ticket. They continue to insist that the spam filter is working as intended but have at no time given me a clear logical answer as to how it works. The interpretation that best fits the facts is, I think as follows:

1. Emails are ranked from 0 to 10. Emails with a score of 10 are more likely to be spam than lower scores.

2. A flagging threshold of 5 means that emails with a score greater than 5 are flagged as spam.

3 A deletion threshold of 5 means that emails with a score greater than 5 are deleted.

So, if, as most people want, you want moderate flagging but no deletion (so that you can check for false positives) then to set flagging threshold to 5 and deletion to 10 would make complete sense. However, of course, the system prevents you from setting the deletion threshold to a higher number than the flagging threshold. The simplest explanation is that 123-reg has set this control the wrong way round and, if they just corrected this, the system would work fine.

As it is, if the flagging and deletion thresholds are the same, then all flagged emails get deleted. And, if the deletion threshold is a lower number than flagging, either MORE emails will get deleted, or, if the deletion mechanism just looks at emails already flagged, then all flagged emails will be deleted as before. So, as it is, it seems to me that it acts as a simple spam deletion system without providing the option of receiving flagged spam so that you can check for false positives. The only safe option is to set both flagging and deletion thresholds to 10, which effectively switches it off. (Beware of actually doing this, though, since my analysis here might be wrong, and, since the information from 123-reg is illogical and self-contradictory, we cannot be sure that settings of 10 aren't the worst for deleting things.)

If my analysis is correct, then ALL detected spam would get deleted and I would never see any of it. This is, in fact, exactly what has happened in my case - no email has ever been delivered flagged to my inbox, or (flagged or not) to a separate spam folder - and, when I was using BT-Yahoo, my address used to get lots of spam. However, one or two contributors to this chain have implied that they HAVE seen flagged email. SO, I have two questions to this forum, please:

1. Has anyone using 123-reg webmail ever seen spam delivered to a separate spam folder, or seen emails flagged as spam delivered to their inbox? and
2. It seems likely that I will end up dumping 123-reg and moving elsewhere. One of the contributors suggested 1&1. A comparison site gave HostPapa as the best - but are such sites to be trusted? Any advice, please? I want web hosting as well as domain name hosting.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to