Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User packetman
(member) Sun 10-Jul-11 09:26:20
Print Post

Web hosting has reverted to old

[link to this post]

I have just changed my web hosting to a different provider, but leaving the domain parked with the original provider. I changed the nameserver settings, and within 24 hrs the site was resolving correctly to the new host. A further 12 hours later, though, it seems to have reverted back to the old host again! The nameserver settings are still pointing at the new host. Is this just part of the DNS propagating and it will sort itself out in time, or is there a problem? Thanks.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 10-Jul-11 09:47:32
Print Post

Re: Web hosting has reverted to old

[re: packetman] [link to this post]

Is the domain still parked with the old host?
Standard User packetman
(member) Sun 10-Jul-11 10:17:29
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by john2007:

Yes

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(member) Sun 10-Jul-11 10:34:02
Print Post

Have you tried it from a different connection or switched nameservers to OpenDNS?

Cou;d also just mean that the change has not yet propagated to all the root servers which can take up to 72 hours.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User packetman
(member) Sun 10-Jul-11 11:11:04
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by techguy:
Have you tried it from a different connection or switched nameservers to OpenDNS?

Cou;d also just mean that the change has not yet propagated to all the root servers which can take up to 72 hours.

Yesterday AM while it was still propagating, using my ISPs DNS server it showed the old, trying OpenDNS showed the new. By the end of yesterday the ISP had caught up, and also resolved the new. This morning both OpenDNS and the ISP are back to resolving the old host again! I tried it now from a proxy web server (hidemyass.com) and that correctly resolves to the new host.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 10-Jul-11 14:43:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by packetman:
In reply to a post by john2007:

Yes

Perhaps you should unpark it. I wonder if that could be causing the conflict.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Sun 10-Jul-11 18:51:31
Print Post

Nameserver propagation time is somewhat of a myth.

It is all controlled by the TTL (Time to Live) values in the Domain Zone Records.

It is always best to reduce the TTL values to a matter of minutes many days before you move a website from one IP address to another.

And then, when you do change an IP address of any record, the 'propagation' will be almost instant (a couple of minutes), right across the whole Internet and you will see what everybody else sees.

In your case, it is a bit late for that ..... (although it may still help to sort things out).
..... but using a tool like the DNS Report available at DNSstuff.com will tell you what is going on. (not cheap, but it does a very good job). They give a handful of examples of what you will see for your domain.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User packetman
(member) Mon 11-Jul-11 13:42:23
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Thanks all for the comments, it all seems to have stabilised now, it just looked like it needed the full 72 hours. It was the reverting back to old that threw me, but I can see it was just part of the process. If I do it again I'll look at the TTL thing! Thanks again.

Edited by packetman (Mon 11-Jul-11 13:43:27)

Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Mon 11-Jul-11 16:53:32
Print Post

And alongside DNSStuff, I use these free sites that help:

http://www.intodns.com/
http://www.dnsvalidation.com/
  Print Thread

Jump to