Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User krisedwards
(newbie) Fri 07-Oct-11 20:33:06
Print Post

linking a basic html form to enter data in a database

[link to this post]

Hi guys

This may be a daft question but I am new to the coding world. I am wanting to create a standard form that will submit data onto either a database or into excel if possible.

I want several people to input information into this from but dun't want people to know what the others put into the form and want it so only one person has access to the data.

The form is already built, but I am getting confused on how I can get this information linked to a database / excel and that only one person can access all of the data.

Like I say prob a daft question but I am new to the world of coding any ideas or links would be greatly appreciated wink
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 09-Oct-11 17:16:11
Print Post

Re: linking a basic html form to enter data in a database

[re: krisedwards] [link to this post]

As far as permissions you could allow two user names access to the database. The username used to input data could be given restricted (write only) access to the database. The other username could be provided read/write access.

Is this software to be located on a server rather than locally? I guess from your mention of excel you are after a Windows' based solution.
Standard User krisedwards
(newbie) Sun 09-Oct-11 20:20:43
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Hi thanks

Yeah I am wanting a windows based solution and it will be held on a server

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 09-Oct-11 21:02:26
Print Post

Personally I'd submit the form to a php script on the server and use that to update a mysql database. Only because it's what I'm most familiar with though. Your choice may well be limited by the tools installed on your server.
Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 09-Oct-11 21:43:25
Print Post

You've really started at the wrong end by doing the HTML first. You really need to look at the back-end. It is impossible to teach someone to program on an Internet forum. You may get better guidance on sites such as StackOverflow. You might also want to look at application builders such as Zoho Creator. If you want to get into web programming, you could do worse than looking at Ruby on Rails, but be prepared for a steep learning curve.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"You'll be skint, battered, exploited, lied to, cheated and despised. But at least you'll no' be bored." -- Rab C Nesbitt
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts
  Print Thread

Jump to