Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Oct-11 00:13:02
Print Post

Any user comments for new hosting company?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I need to move web hosting company as the once excellent tech support has become dire in the extreme - Web Hosting UK hang your head in shame.

On my short list are UK Web Hosting, WebHost.UK.Net and Xilo. I want unlimited add-on domains, Xilo has a limit of 20 for the package that I would get, so that is not really an issue with them.

Any comments on my list? Going for a shared Linux option on all and good tech support is a must.

TIA

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.

Edited by DrTeeth (Mon 24-Oct-11 00:13:34)

Standard User micksharpe
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 24-Oct-11 01:36:01
Print Post

Re: Any user comments for new hosting company?

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

I use Webfaction. I'm very happy with them although I haven't used their tech support much.

You really need to define the level of support that you want - response times, phone or e-mail only, application support or just site config, and so on. Remember - good, quick, cheap - pick any two.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
'There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, "Do trousers matter?"'
‘The mood will pass, sir.’
P.G Wodehouse -- The Code of the Woosters
It Ought to be Easy | Greasemonkey scripts

Edited by micksharpe (Mon 24-Oct-11 01:36:33)

Standard User ilh
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Oct-11 09:35:05
Print Post

I am with Xilo. No complaints with them but apart from the initial setting up of my domains that I moved across I haven't had to use tech support so I can't help you there but then surely a web host where you don't need tech support is the best option...

~ilh

The sooner you get behind, the longer you have to catch up.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(member) Mon 24-Oct-11 09:38:59
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

Could try Netcetera.

One of their packages has a limit of 10 domains, excellent tech support, I use them for my domain mai (I don't have a need for webspace)l, be aware though they use Windows based servers.

Could also try Zen whom I use as my ISP, who also give excellent technical support.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Sandgrounder
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Oct-11 12:01:48
Print Post

[re: ilh] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ilh:
..... but then surely a web host where you don't need tech support is the best option...
Agreed.

Nethosted used to be recommended on these forums. I followed those recommendations and have never needed their tech support.

Line One:- Zen - DrayTek Vigor 2600VG
Line Two:- EntaNet (Aquiss) - DrayTek Vigor 2600
Standard User kasg
(committed) Mon 24-Oct-11 14:18:01
Print Post

tsohost are excellent and the support is second-to-none but it depends how much you want to pay for "unlimited" domains - their Pro package gives you 6 domains (100 subdomains) but you would need to pay another £25 pa for each additional 5 domains, so it would get very expensive if you had 100!

Kevin

plusnet Value Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 24-Oct-11 14:54:22
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

Hi guys,

I can get unlimited addon domains for approx £70 a year...it's not that difficult to find. Xilo has a limit of twenty which should be enough.

Agreed one should not need tech support. Any tool can put a product in a bag and post it. I am interested with how good the service is when things do not go according to plan. I do not mind having the odd issue now and then as long it is dealt with WELL.

Thanks for your recommendations. Would still like to hear from those who have dealt with my short list.

Thanks

DrT

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User mtalk
(newbie) Mon 24-Oct-11 15:08:02
Print Post

[re: micksharpe] [link to this post]

I will surely recommend Webhost.uk.net I have nearly 3 years old customer with webhostuk, and I should appreciate there service quality all this years.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Oct-11 15:13:33
Print Post

[re: mtalk] [link to this post]

Surely not. A new user with their first post recommending a company being discussed. I assume you work for the company you recommend?

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Mon 24-Oct-11 15:13:57)

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Oct-11 17:06:19
Print Post

[re: Sandgrounder] [link to this post]

Another one for Nethosted. I have been with them since 2007 as a reseller and have nothing but praise for their service.

Support is be ticket or community forums, and I have never had to wait more than 40 minutes for a reply, and usually in under 10. The level of support is excellent with very knowledgeable and helpful staff.

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (waiting to see)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to