Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Dec-11 13:30:40
Print Post

Purple Cloud sold to Krystal

[link to this post]

Current customers should have an email, but if anyone else is interested, full email content here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Invictel
(regular) Fri 09-Dec-11 14:14:22
Print Post

Re: Purple Cloud sold to Krystal

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Current customers should have an email, but if anyone else is interested, full email content here.

Thats a shame, I remember going with PurpleCloud for personal hosting when they first launched.

Krystal are only about 15 miles away from us too, its all hosted in underground bunkers smile

Standard User Purdy
(committed) Fri 09-Dec-11 16:13:01
Print Post

[re: Invictel] [link to this post]

Are these (Krystal) much good?
Or are they on a par with Purplecloud, who seemed to be out of their depth, somewhat.
I dont want an "out of the frying pan, into the fire" situation with this new crowd, whereby they, too turn out to be all spin over substance, and cant cope further down the line.
I see their phone support is only operational between 10AM and 5PM for example, but was answered within a couple of rings (early days?) The phone support guy was on the ball, though, it must be said

Purdy

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 09-Dec-11 18:25:42
Print Post

[re: Invictel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Invictel:
Thats a shame, I remember going with PurpleCloud for personal hosting when they first launched.
Yes it is, but has been on the cards for a while. Their parent company didn't really back them.

I went with them a few years ago, as my first venture into the hosting field, and at first they were great. The help and FAQ system was brilliant at explaning what it was all about, and was a huge factor in my choice.

Contacting support was always a bit hit and miss though, and became days to answer tickets, if at all until prompted.

Then they started getting huge holdups in mail, claiming it was due to spam floods, but it kept occurring.

I moved to Tsohost and the support difference is simply amazing. No pure email packages, but the cheapest hosting package will take two domains and the email for each. With a minor fiddle you can also add further domain/sites to it, at no cost, but only two email domains.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User Pipexer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 20-Dec-11 23:00:38
Print Post

Hmm, anyone got this email from Krystal?

Dear
Our systems have notified us that our core switches are operating at too high a temperature.

As a result we will be moving the switches tonight, after midnight, and expect that there could be up to 10 minutes of downtime, though we will seek to minimise disruption as much as possible.

Hopefully this planned action will not cause significant inconvenience, and is certainly more desirable than being plunged in to an unplanned outage through hardware failure.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

What a strange message to get. Not knocking them for being open, just it's worded a bit iffy.

Edited by Pipexer (Tue 20-Dec-11 23:08:53)

Standard User _Resonance_
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-12 22:22:15
Print Post

Has anyone being having problems with the outgoing mail server?

smtp-homer.purplecloud.com has stopped working. I've changed my outgoing mail server to mail.mydomain as instructed, but just get the error 'mail.mydomain could not be found'. I've set my incoming server to mail.mydomain and that works fine.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Sky Broadband Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 22:52:51
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

Which port are you using for SMTP. Your ISP may be blocking port 25 and you are using (from memory) something like 587? The Krystal alternative to 25 is 525.

From this page, but will be the same whichever email client you are using.

Standard User Mygri
(newbie) Tue 17-Jan-12 23:14:33
Print Post

[re: Pipexer] [link to this post]

Hi,

The (small) company I work for has been using Krystal for some 3+ years now, and we've had pretty good service from them. I remember the 'overheating' message and it struck me at the time as of the sort of information the providers should put out to forewarn customers.

Based on our experience, I would be surprised if anyone has problems with them. Judging by some of the comments on Purplecloud (which I don't know), some of you should be getting better service.

I'm not blowing Krystal's trumpet for them, just a satisfied customer.

Cheers
Standard User _Resonance_
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-12 23:28:48
Print Post

Many thanks Roberto. That was the problem. All working now.

Sky Broadband Unlimited

Edited by _Resonance_ (Tue 17-Jan-12 23:29:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-Jan-12 00:27:22
Print Post

[re: _Resonance_] [link to this post]

smile

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to