Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Dec-11 20:54:27
Print Post

Dreamweaver displays single closing quote for a double one

[link to this post]

Recently noticed that when I view some javascript code in Dreamweaver (V.6.0 MX) a string which I've typed with opening and closing double quotes is displayed with an opening double quote and a closing single quote. If I correct the single to a double Dreamweaver changes it to display a single one.

Viewing the file in Notepad shows double quotes are there for both opening and closing. But Dreamweaver insists on displaying the closing one as a single.

PHP and HTML are displayed correctly.

Any thoughts?

Tony
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-11 21:52:09
Print Post

Re: Dreamweaver displays single closing quote for a double o

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Have you tried:

http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data ~ plusnet

Scottish Labour politician: “The SNP are on a very dangerous tack. What they are doing is trying to build up a situation in Scotland where the services are manifestly better than south of the border in a number of areas.”

Interviewer: ”Is that a bad thing?”

Scottish Labour politician: “No, but they are doing it deliberately.”
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Dec-11 22:16:41
Print Post

Re: Dreamweaver displays single closing quote for a double o

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Looking at one of the files in a hex editor, the opening and closing (double) quotes are #22 characters, i.e. a double quote.

It's clearly Dreamweaver that is mis-displaying the closing one for its own nefarious purposes grin.

For example
<script src="includes/jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
is pasted straight out of Dreamweaver, but Dreamweaver insists on displaying the 2 closing quotes as single ones. Even more oddly, when I selected the line to copy, in the highlighted line Dreamweaver changed the 2 single quotes to double ones. So in a selected line the quotes are displayed correctly, in an unselected line they're not crazy.

Tony

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to