Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CathayPacific
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-12 01:33:10
Print Post

How to get a WWW.mysite.com ?

[link to this post]

hello all

sorry to ask a simple question am new to this. How and where do i register a web site address ? Try to keep it simple and easy please. Next need to make a website with pictures and text which free and easy package for design do you recommend ?
Is there going to be a steep learning curve ?

Thankyou.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-12 02:00:42
Print Post

Re: How to get a WWW.mysite.com ?

[re: CathayPacific] [link to this post]

You can buy a website and domain name from somewhere like TsoHost. As for building a website, you could start off installing a simple CMS like Joomla!, Drupal or Wordpress. They can be installed using Scriptalicious via cPanel, which comes preinstalled on the server, so the whole process is very simple. From there, you can add content fairly easily. If you want your own style though, you'll probably need to either learn some PHP to edit the default templates, or go hunting for templates on the web to install. There are plenty to choose from, so again, there's not much effort involved.

Edited by 12eason (Wed 08-Feb-12 02:02:00)

Standard User pcologist
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-12 06:53:44
Print Post

[re: CathayPacific] [link to this post]

Hi CathyPacfic
If you have never used web editors much and just want to get on and do your thing! Then it’s certainly worth having a look at oneandone.co.uk and using their own “create your own website facility” it’s very easy to use and will probably more than suit your needs. I have used their web space now for well over 15 years for all of my sites and I have found them to be extremely reliable and very helpful, not the cheapest but very good.
Incidentally web mastering can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it my guess is you just want your site up for all to see? Please do not hesitate to ask if you require any more help….all the best with your project.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 08-Feb-12 15:08:01
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

I remember reading that 1and1 don't release domain names and have lots of down time. Maybe that's different now?

(knowledge is power) Thu 09-Feb-12 11:23:02
Print Post

[re: 12eason] [link to this post]

1and1 do release domain names when requested, I don't know about down time though but it always seems to be up whenever I access it.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 09-Feb-12 14:11:37
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Regardless, I'd imagine if you create a website using their 'web authoring' junk, you are going to be tied to them. You could add years of content, but if you then start getting messed around, it would be a pain to move it all because the software it runs on is copyrighted. You'd have to create a new site, and copy and paste all the content across.

(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 18:31:30
Print Post

hi 12eason
The request was for a ” which free and easy package for design do you recommend?” Cathaypacific obviously knows nothing about web mastering….I do and the simplest solution for anyone that knows nothing at all about web sites and wants to get on NOW is with 1&1 “create your own website facility” as stated.
Incidentally your derogatory remark quote ”Web authoring junk” is incorrect it is really quite clever and is taking quite a bit of business away from web masters because it is so easy to use and is very well priced.
I have the greatest respect for anyone who wants to “give it a go” and once their first site is up and running they soon want to advance their knowledge and technique. As a retired 70 year old who has many years of experience in the industry hands on and tutelage, to be able to freely pass this on I find it rewarding that someone wants to learn and pointing them in the right direction is the least we can do.

Incidentally in the 15 years I have been doing business with 1&1 I cannot remember them being down and they have always been excellent at releasing names and procuring them.
Speaking as I find I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 10-Feb-12 19:18:38
Print Post

[re: pcologist] [link to this post]

Now I'm starting to think you are a 1and1 rep.

Look, search for 1and1 on google and once you get past their own sites and the wiki entry, you just get pages and pages of flames. That suggests to me that they are in fact a terrible host. Here's a few choice hits from the first few pages;

http://www.thespanner.co.uk/2007/08/06/1and1-suck/
http://www.kevstrong.com/technology/1and1-the-most-h...
http://tech.e-ignite.co.uk/website/buying-a-new-doma...
http://james.blogs.herm.it/blog/2011/06/14/1and1-int...
http://www.acorndomains.co.uk/domain-name-registrars...
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Broadband-down-y...

etc etc.

(knowledge is power) Wed 15-Feb-12 21:16:48
Print Post

I used to have several clients using 1&1 and there was never a single complaint from any of them. These clients needs ranged from the simplest of needs to fairly complicated retailing etc sites. These include single and multiple domains - 17 in one case.
I still keep in touch with these clients regularly and every one of them still uses 1&1.

Edited by Deadbeat (Wed 15-Feb-12 21:19:19)

Standard User johnsellinge
(newbie) Tue 21-Feb-12 10:21:16
Print Post

Re: How to get a WWW.mysite.com ? *DELETED*

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Post deleted by Sadoldman
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to