Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Wed 03-Jul-13 08:05:19
Print Post

RSS Feeds

[link to this post]

Google have just (1st July) withdrawn their RSS Reader service due to lack of use. It does seem that few people actual use RSS feeds but I do use the feature on my web site designs to bring in regularly changing information such as road traffic reports.

I see that eBay have reduced their use of RSS which surprises me.

RSS is really a casualty of lack of publicity and awareness of how it can be used but the symbol of availability continues to be present on many corporate sites.

Do I happen to be in a dwindling band of users of RSS or is the really no future for this feature?
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:02:48
Print Post

Re: RSS Feeds

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

I use it for five sites at present. I don't care to use it for sites with dozens of daily updates (e.g. bbc news). The most busy one would be the Plusnet status or TBB news feeds.

If you're updating your feeds manually, I can see why it might bother you, but if automatic, no hassle to keep.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Wed 03-Jul-13 14:22:35
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

I would like to see at least one of the web pages were the incoming feed is displayed if that would be possible.

An example of my use can be found here:
http://www.terryrusselltrams.co.uk/links.htm at the bottom of the page.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomwilliam378
(newbie) Tue 17-Sep-13 11:25:58
Print Post

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication". It is a way to easily distribute a list of headlines, update notices, and sometimes content to a wide number of people. It is used by computer programs that organize those headlines and notices for easy reading.
  Print Thread

Jump to