Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Tue 30-Jul-13 20:40:45
Print Post

Daily capture of a web page

[link to this post]

Manually I can:
* Enter a web site address
* Select 'Continue to this website (not recommended).'
* Supply my logon credentials
[The web page is displayed enabling me to:]
* Select FILE AS
* Select a the same designate folder
* Give a the same file name every time but with date and time appended
* Select file type MHT
* Save it
* Close the web page

Can anyone help me please by providing a program that runs in the background that kicks off at 22 hours every evening. I would be so appreciative if they would.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Wed 31-Jul-13 02:24:35
Print Post

Re: Daily capture of a web page

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Right. Here's how I would do it, but there might be a slicker way, so see how you get on with it.

I found that it's not too keen to work in user folders (e.g. John Smith), as the gap in the path interferes with either batchfile or the .vbs file.

Anyway, I created a folder in C: called 'saves', dumped them in there, and setup a scheduled task to run it. It worked fine. You'll need to mess with the paths if you intend to save it somewhere specific. Also remember to change the web URL. smile

This doesn't handle any sort of password or browser access though. This captures a normal website to .mht

http://www.camieabz.co.uk/saves.zip

To schedule it, open Task Scheduler (All Programs, accessories, system tools). Create Basic task (on the right pane). The wizard is pretty straightforward. Create a dummy task with a 'run once only' trigger for a few minutes ahead, and test it. Once you have a working setup, change the task run to daily / timed etc.

~ Camieabz ~

All Connection Data ~ Some plusnet links

I've forgotten more about broadband than I care to remember.
Standard User planetbrain
(member) Wed 31-Jul-13 09:26:59
Print Post

Re: Daily capture of a web page

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Maybe something like wget ( http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/ ) and the Windows task scheduler, not sure how it will handle the login part though

you may be right, but I'm not wrong

O2 Standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to