Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Mon 09-Sep-13 18:06:40
Print Post

WYSIWYG site builder?

[link to this post]

I have a website built 12 years ago, and still updated using Trellix 2.7.
That later became CuteSiteBuilder, but I didn't even attempt to transfer it to the new programme in case I made a mess of it.
Surprisingly, Trellix has worked well on 3 different OS's (Currently W7 Pro) but I've been aware for some time that it's not good using an obsolete programme.

My hosting company (Easily) had always been 100% until early August when I began having the first of 4 incidents of the site being down.
Today I spoke to a lady there who did say that the Linux server it's on is an older one, so not as reliable as it used to be.
She suggested that if the tech people don't manage to get my site back up on that old server, it may be an idea to transfer to a newer one, but just in case the Trellix site didn't work properly on a newer server, they'd try fixing it first.

I'm not even sure I know how to add new server details to the programme to have it work - I didn't do that part myself in the first place, and even then it was 12 years ago.

So, I'm wondering if there is a WYSIWYG type site builder that is reliable and easy to use - that way, I could start building a new site and use that if things don't resolve with the current site.
I'm wanting one that will allow me to use the whole page rather than just a central slice.
Someone suggested Sitespinner to me last year, but they hadn't actually used it.

Standard User chippy2
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 14-Sep-13 14:12:37
Print Post

Re: WYSIWYG site builder?

[re: TrishaH] [link to this post]

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 14-Sep-13 19:33:59
Print Post

[re: chippy2] [link to this post]

Thanks - just had a brief look through the features and it looks promising!
Have you used this at all?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tomwilliam378
(newbie) Fri 20-Sep-13 05:19:57
Print Post

WYSIWYG editors can never build a proper website. You would have to learn at least HTML, but better would be to also learn CSS and PHP. If you want an out of the box solution, instead of looking for a WYSIWYG editor, you could better use a CMS instead, such as Joomla for example.
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Sep-13 23:35:37
Print Post

[re: tomwilliam378] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tomwilliam378:
WYSIWYG editors can never build a proper website. You would have to learn at least HTML, but better would be to also learn CSS and PHP. If you want an out of the box solution, instead of looking for a WYSIWYG editor, you could better use a CMS instead, such as Joomla for example.

I would respectfully suggest that you go to the WYSIWYG website and look at some of the impressive improper websites that the program can build; before making silly comments.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-13 01:08:06
Print Post

[re: tomwilliam378] [link to this post]

I've only ever used one WYSIWYG programme (Trellix 2.7 Publish Anywhere) which is now obsolete, but has worked on three OS's over almost 12 years for the same website.

The website is a great informative thing to have, but it's a sort of necessary evil, somewhat like photography for me ...something I need to do that eats into my actual work time.

Thanks for that, but entering into unknown territory isn't something I want to do.
I sort of know vaguely what CSS and PHP are, and don't want to learn HTML.
All I need is an easy to understand and use programme for making a website that I can update easily as and when I need to.

I'll probably try the wysiwygwebbuilder when I get some free time.
I thought I'd found a good one recently with Clikpic until I realised you have to use their hosting too.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sat 21-Sep-13 01:09:23
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

That's reassuring! Thanks. I'll try it sometime soon.

Standard User speedbird34
(newbie) Sun 17-Nov-13 03:32:10
Print Post

re WYSIWYG site builders

For others going down this route this review of website builders will be useful.

Please note that you may not able to move your site to another host if you'd rather a cheaper/better one in future.

If you can you might find it less restricting to use Wordpress instead.

Currently displaying a bad ping rate between brain cells...
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by speedbird34 (Sun 17-Nov-13 03:36:21)

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 17-Nov-13 18:27:16
Print Post

Re: re WYSIWYG site builders

[re: speedbird34] [link to this post]

Thanks.
Looks like some I haven't seen before.

I do need one that can be used with my current hosting company.

I'll read through those reviews though to see how they compare to wysiwygwebbuilder.com.

Standard User TrishaH
(experienced) Sun 05-Jan-14 17:25:21
Print Post

Re: re WYSIWYG site builders

I haven't got around to doing anything about a new site yet, but last night, for the first time ever, I had a problem with my current site updating, so in case it's something I can't resolve, thought I'd get a copy of WYSIWYGsitebuilder and see how I get on with it.

I looked to see about downloading it, and already encountered a problem:

After you have downloaded the zip file you must run setup.exe to install the software on your computer. Follow the instructions on the screen and then wait for the installation to complete. A new icon will be added to your desktop called 'WYSIWYG Web Builder'. By default the program files will be installed in the folder
C:\Program Files\WYSIWYG Web Builder 9\ All your personal files (projects, templates, extensions, themes etc.) will be stored in your documents folder:
My Documents\WYSIWYG Web Builder\

I definitely don't want to install it on 'C' as it's an SSD and I only use it for OS and essential stuff.
I always install programmes on the third drive: K and my documents are on that drive too - is there a way around this I wonder?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to