Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Jun-14 07:23:56
Print Post

123-Reg: how to renew domain but not hosting?

[link to this post]

A friend has two web sites. One is currently hosted by 123-reg who also register the domain.

She wishes to keep the domain, and is happy to keep it registered with 123-reg, but as the business reasons for a separate web site no longer exist she has 'web forwarded' it to the other site hosted elsewhere.

So she now wishes just to renew the domain with 123-reg but not the hosting.

Any idea what she has to do to achieve this?

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Jun-14 10:26:23
Print Post

Re: 123-Reg: how to renew domain but not hosting?

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

If they won't allow her to pay just for the domain then its move the domain to someone who is happy to deal with just the annual domain registration

Guessing domain was part of a hosting package, best to call them as portals often lack the options for this sort of thing

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User OpenAccess
(regular) Thu 26-Jun-14 11:04:28
Print Post

There should not be a problem. Going to the members login page, should be able to renew or auto the domain name. Domains and hosting are invoiced separately. Options to renew the domain name for longer times are usually discounted. She will just have to make sure she cancels to hosting package. it is worth checking that details and E-Mail address are all correct.

Peter
-------------------------------------------------------
(Ex Be* Unlimited) now Sky Unlimited Pro
-----------------------------------------------------

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukwiz
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jun-14 12:56:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Be very wary with 123-reg. They will auto-renew everything if they have your credit card details on file

David

BT (poor) -> Zen (excellent) -> O2 (started well, went downhill -> IDNet (No complaints - but 100GB cap) -> Zen (unlimited- but no ipv6)
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jun-14 19:55:29
Print Post

[re: ukwiz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukwiz:
Be very wary with 123-reg. They will auto-renew everything if they have your credit card details on file

So does TSOHost and I am perfectly happy with that, I get an invoice in advance and if I want to cancel it, I do. Far better that than to let a domain lapse by mistake.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - sync 72152/19999 at 450m - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Sun 29-Jun-14 17:33:06
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
So does TSOHost and I am perfectly happy with that, I get an invoice in advance and if I want to cancel it, I do. Far better that than to let a domain lapse by mistake.

Same for Heart, my registrar. I do not like auto-renews as a rule either, but for domains I regard it as essential.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 29-Jun-14 17:54:33
Print Post

[re: DrTeeth] [link to this post]

Same company http://www.heg.com/

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User DrTeeth
(knowledge is power) Mon 30-Jun-14 21:59:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I am surprised. As good as Heart is, and it is very good with excellent customer service, 123_Reg is rubbish. I used to be with them and they are rubbish - would not use them for free.

Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
Standard User dennisBunting
(newbie) Wed 06-Aug-14 07:57:34
Print Post

how to renew domain but not hosting?

Login to your account
Once you’ve signed in you will be taken to your Accounts Summary page.

Click on ‘Renew’ for the particular domain you wish to renew.

Choose the numbers of years you wish to renew it for and click on ‘Renew’ again.
Standard User TrevorSP
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Aug-14 14:23:38
Print Post

Re: how to renew domain but not hosting?

[re: dennisBunting] [link to this post]

but just by renewing the domain, is that going to keep her "web direction" to the other website that is up and running on someone else's website, I wouldn't have thought so!

Regards,
Trevor

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/14085...
2 x TalkTalk upto 38mb FTTC lines, current speeds a good 37mbps on each one.(hiding behind an assortment of Asus RT-N66U Dual Band, DGND3700v2 Dual Band, DG834PN and DGN2000 routers) on: a Win7sp1 64 Ult. Desktop, Win8 x64 Pro (RTM) ) Desktop & Win 8 x64 Pro (RTM) Laptop. 5 x iPads, 1 x Archos 700, 3 x DELL C1760cn Wi-Fi Colour Laser Printers, Assorted Windows and iPhone Mobile phones, an 8ch CCTV system embedded into the Network along with an LG Smart TV, an LG Smart Blu-ray Player Recorder and an LG Smart Sound System.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to