Technical Discussion
  >> Web Design / HTML / Web hosting Forum

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 02-Jul-18 10:23:15
Print Post

GDPR and Whois

[link to this post]

Historical I have used the wjois facility quite extensively. Now because of GDPR its value is reduced to zero as everything relating to the domain name show empty fields. I alwas though that if you had a top level domain you had to make your details known. Is this an unintended consequence of GDPR?
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 02-Jul-18 11:06:13
Print Post

Re: GDPR and Whois

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

There have been a few articles in the press about it - like this one on The Register
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 02-Jul-18 13:22:53
Print Post

There are exemptions available to members states:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-ge...

On the fence on this. In an honest world, there's no need to hide the registrant's name. In the real world, people use this information to 'go after' the registrant either online, or literally in some cases.

Consider the political world, where people with a point of view get targeted by opponents' online muscle-men. Or consider fake news / propaganda sites where one person can create multiple sites, which reinforce one another on a political point of view, making it appear as broad support or opposition. In reality, little will change in this sense. Political, net-savvy people get a domain management company to avoid going public.

I'd make an exception to political / religious / sport sites, in that the registrant has to publish their name, address, and where they plan to be at the weekend. Get the ideological trolls off the web. grin

(or at the very least, let people join the dots on who is making these sites, and who is funding them)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User trolleybus
(experienced) Mon 02-Jul-18 14:12:00
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Generally those up to no good on the internet go to excettional lengths to hide their indentity. I personally have placed on my web site a considerable number of historical pictures where some have been used on other sites without acknowlegenent of source or for that matter pernission. WHOIS has been a source of information to find out a contact email address to obtain redress or if nearby, go knocking on their door.

Likewise if an email purpots to come from amazon and whois shows the registrar as having a GMAIL address then clearly the incoming email is fake. A bad day when whois is no longer a useful tool.
Standard User epcrich
(newbie) Fri 14-Sep-18 20:22:32
Print Post

If the website is a business website and the company are limited you can easily look up who they are on the Companies house website. The lack of info on Whois is somewhat of an irrelevance
  Print Thread

Jump to