General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Jul-10 14:23:55
Print Post

Fastest BT Wholesale ISP

[link to this post]

Now, I'm not talking about throughput (although it's probably related), I'm talking about latency.

Which are the fastest BTw ISP's in terms of lowest latency with 0% packet loss? ADSL or ADSL Max (up to 8Mpbs).

I know pretty much any other LLU, cable, etc. would be faster, so there's no need to reply to say just that. Unfortunately, for a lot of people only the most basic ADSL is available.

If the only information you have is your own personal experience of your ISP, then please, post that. We can use this thread to build up a picture from lots of different people if need be.

Thanks.
Standard User uno
(experienced) Mon 05-Jul-10 14:32:53
Print Post

Re: Fastest BT Wholesale ISP

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Which are the fastest BTw ISP's in terms of lowest latency with 0% packet loss? ADSL or ADSL Max (up to 8Mpbs).

Problem with what you are asking: Geographic location (and maybe Fast/Interleaving setting) and Equipment

I get 11ms on IPS from my house in Sheffield but someone in London could get much less, whereas someone in Scotland may get much more - so that will distort the results if you are just looking for the 'fastest' (lowest) latency times.

Likewise, whereas my line can get 11ms with a Vigor, put a Netgear on the same line, 16ms.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Our current offers

Edited by uno (Mon 05-Jul-10 14:33:55)

Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 05-Jul-10 15:08:22
Print Post

Latency to where? If you have a target in mind people might be willing to ping it and report their location, ISP, and times.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 06-Jul-10 20:17:10
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Well I was hoping for responses from anyone "in the know" or from people who have tried different ISP's. The idea of people posting their individual experiences was just a last minute, worst case scenario idea.

People must have a general idea whether their latency is good or bad. I know to avoid AOL and Sky, but who are the good ones, and how much do they vary by?
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Tue 06-Jul-10 20:52:55
Print Post

If you read the replies more carefully, it should be fairly obvious to you that the answer can be different in different parts of the country.

So rather than (in my opinion) being insulting to the two responders so far, both of whom are extremely knowledgeable, how about you answer the questions?

For example there is an excellent ISP based near Manchester (call it A), and another near Maidenhead (call it B).

Where you live in relation to A or B, and where the prime sites are that you want low latency in reaching happen to be, can make a big difference due to the routing from you to A or B and onward to the target.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 06-Jul-10 20:59:32)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 07-Jul-10 22:10:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I really wasn't sure what you meant at first. If you're referring to my "in the know" comment, I wasn't directing an insult at the responders or suggesting they weren't knowledgeable. What I meant was that when I started the thread I was hoping that in these forums I might get responses from people who worked in the industry or for different ISP's or simply people who knew a lot about what's available. It had nothing to do with them, I was simply explaining my intentions (and agreeing that everyone posting their individual experiences isn't the best way of going about it). Don't be so sensitive, it's only the internet smile.

I thought it might be obvious if ISP A has latency of 100ms (in this country), or that doubles at peak times, whereas ISP B has rock solid latency of ~30ms 24/7. For example, with regard to dial-up, everyone seems to be agreed that AOL has worse latency (from anywhere to anywhere) than most other ISPs. I've heard that certain things at the ISP can affect latency, such as old or inferior server hardware. Also, would the type of Centrals used make a difference (Ethernet faster than ATM cloud?) or the transits?

I understand the point that if I live at Land's End it would probably be better not to use an ISP based at John O'Groats, but as I don't live at either extreme of the country it probably won't make that much difference (please, correct me if I'm wrong; if you know roughly how much difference, numbers would be great). With regard to the target machine, surely that would only really matter if I was making a P2P connection with one other machine and then not using the internet for anything else (which I suppose I might do if it was for business use or something, but it isn't, so I won't). In reality we use the internet to connect to hundreds, if not thousands, of machines all over the country and even the world. If ISP A's latency is 50ms higher than ISP B's, then surely whether I'm connecting to London or New York, it will almost always be higher. If it helps, I only really care about latency to Britain and Europe.

Thanks again.
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Wed 07-Jul-10 22:50:15
Print Post

People worried about latency are usually avid gamers. Which is why the target sites are asked about.

For all other uses, so far as I know latency is fairly irrelevant, though preferably fairly stable. More important are throttling and traffic management due to inadequate core capacity.

However you seem to have an excellent grasp of what it's all about so won't need any more technical help. Simplistic answers to your original question will hopefully arrive from others.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-Jul-10 22:50:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Wed 07-Jul-10 22:58:20
Print Post

I have to chuckle

Following my post a few seconds ago, I just browsed the whole thread again. Something I already knew but hadn't commented on hit me in the face smile.
... when I started the thread I was hoping that in these forums I might get responses from people who worked in the industry or for different ISP's or simply people who knew a lot about what's available ....
If you read uno's reply again, particularly the line of his sig starting "Official ...." you might see what I mean. Kind of answers the quote.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 07-Jul-10 22:59:50)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Jul-10 11:21:27
Print Post

Does anyone know if the things I mentioned do affect latency, and by how much?

Also, are there any ISPs that are renowned for providing the lowest latency?
ISP Representative bentrimble
(isp) Wed 14-Jul-10 16:45:00
Print Post

Our Pro package features prioritised traffic across our network, designed to provide the lowest latency possible.

You can read more here.

There aren't any other BTWholesale based providers that feature positive traffic management to allow this service on a per-protocol or per-package basis.

Some under-subscribed ISP's may offer similar performance figures, but you'll either pay a premium for the service or risk the ISP becoming more contended in the future.

Ben Trimble
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Thu 15-Jul-10 17:08:20
Print Post

[re: bentrimble] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bentrimble:
Some under-subscribed ISP's may offer similar performance figures

That's an original way of saying Plusnet is over-subscribed and already over-contended. Paying for a premium quality service sounds like a excellent idea.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net
ISP Representative bentrimble
(isp) Thu 15-Jul-10 17:14:07
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

We lit a new 622mbps central pipe early in June, our contention is absolutely fine!

Ben Trimble
Plusnet Support Team

Service Status :: RSS :: Email
http://twitter.com/plusnet
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User matthewlowry88
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Jul-10 02:34:03
Print Post

To be fair Martin, I think what Ben means by "under-subscribed" is that there are ISPs who currently are fine with the number of subscribers they have, but that if this number were to increase, they may not be able to cope because their products are not priced correctly.

Plusnet have proven that they can turn a profit, and at least they are open about how their products are shaped. The 20GB Pro product at £16.49 a month on Market 3 exchanges, and with free overnight usage, I feel, is an excellent one.

matt wink

> Sky Broadband - 16Mbit Customer
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 17-Jul-10 09:31:52
Print Post

[re: matthewlowry88] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewlowry88:
The 20GB Pro product at £16.49 a month on Market 3 exchanges, and with free overnight usage, I feel, is an excellent one.
That looks a good point on the face of it, but I don't think it holds well on examination.

Almost without fail a Market 3 exchange will have at least one good LLU supplier with unlimited allowance. Probably Sky and O2/Be with unlimited allowance, with C & W through xilo/uno and vivaciti also. High quality LLU with 75GB allowance on many, through the same two resellers. TalkTalk can validly enter the list for huge numbers of people.

The ADSLx performance on all of those is almost guaranteed to be higher than any BT Wholesale ISP, and the price of most lower than £16.49.

Which brings us to the other flaw in your point. In the context of this thread it is irrelevant, or at least the price is. The OP is on a Market 1 exchange.

Standard User matthewlowry88
(knowledge is power) Sat 17-Jul-10 13:59:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I do realise that Market 3 exchanges are ones where deregulation has occurred due to adequate competition (i.e. LLU providers being present meaning BT Wholesale should be allowed to compete on an even playing field). However, I was merely using the Pro product as an example of how Plusnet know what they are selling. They know what they can provide it would seem, no matter what the wholesale situation is.

A lot of BT Wholesale-based ISPs do not, and if their customer base increases they probably will not be able to cope. If I was in a BT Wholesale area with no LLU providers, I would plump for Plusnet because I know they will still be around a year down the line.

matt wink

> Sky Broadband - 16Mbit Customer
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 17-Jul-10 14:17:42
Print Post

[re: matthewlowry88] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by matthewlowry88:
... However, I was merely using the Pro product as an example of how Plusnet know what they are selling. They know what they can provide it would seem, no matter what the wholesale situation is.

A lot of BT Wholesale-based ISPs do not, and if their customer base increases they probably will not be able to cope. If I was in a BT Wholesale area with no LLU providers, I would plump for Plusnet because I know they will still be around a year down the line.
Fair enough, valid points.

I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion though.

I think the likes of IDNet, Zen and Timico/Newnet have things well worked out, with a totally different business model to the mass-market Plusnet one.

The Plusnet traffic management except on Pro is a major drawback for many, even non-heavy downloaders. When I want some new software or major update I want it on demand, and on Newnet I got that facility.

Nor do I really consider the possibility of an ISP disappearing much of a problem, particularly the ones mentioned. I did jump ship from Prodigynet before it died, but the writing was on the wall for well over a year. As I believe it has been for other notable ones. The industry seems to react quickly and effectively to maintain service for users.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 17-May-11 23:52:59
Print Post

can I ask who are you to comment on someone else's business setup?

Is yours all it could be??

I would be very careful before criticising others, commenting on other peoples business plan may come back and bite you
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to