General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fleebag
(newbie) Sat 23-Oct-10 19:15:23
Print Post

Want more speed, how to go about it?

[link to this post]

When I try to watch the telly on the internet, the BBC keep giving me the message that my bandwidth is to slow for streaming. A few days ago I did the speedtest on this site and some others. They all showed about 3.7meg. I just did the speedtest again and it said 2.9meg. This, when ADSL24 say "up to 24meg". Now, they are telling me I have almost reached my monthly download limit and might have to buy some more, on top of the nearly 20 quid I pay each month. All I can remember doing is trying unsuccessfully to watch the telly and downloading a Linux DVD image.

Should I apply for the ADSL24 LLU thingy or should I ask for my MAC? How do I know how good their LLU is?

I put my phone number in the Be website and they say their LLU can do 6meg. Not exactly 24meg, but better than what I am getting now.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sat 23-Oct-10 19:21:49
Print Post

Re: Want more speed, how to go about it?

[re: fleebag] [link to this post]

The most accurate speed estimate is possible if you post your modem stats (attenuation, SNR margin, sync rate up/down).

See http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adsl_line_stats.php or http://kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php for help on finding those stats.
Standard User 4M2
(regular) Sat 23-Oct-10 19:49:44
Print Post

At what time of day are you trying to watch streamed videos? Have you used this http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics to test your download speed at that time?

A one hour long BBC HD video is more than 1GB in size and streamed videos can sometimes continue streaming to a computer even if one quits the open browser window or tab.

A quote of 6Mbps may still not be adequate for streaming BBCi player HD videos during busy evening peak periods, although SD videos should certainly always be OK.

Regarding LLU vs IPStream and your distance from the exchange (loop loss) that I'm sure others on this site can answer.

Best of luck.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User camieabz
(legend) Sat 23-Oct-10 19:55:10
Print Post

Try the TBB Meter while watching the telly on the web and see what speeds you get. Maybe take a screen dump and let us see the graph.

Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sat 23-Oct-10 23:49:45
Print Post

IIRC ADSL24 LLU is resold Be, with things like email added which Be don't do.

Be itself is possibly the best ISP in the country at the moment, and has unlimited downloads. It does not normally suffer from congestion.

So I suggest get your MAC and migrate to the Value product as that is all you need.

If you use ADSL24 for email, read my web page about ISP-independent web/email hosting and get that set up and in use immediately. Then you never need to change email address again.

Also on my website, read the page about the ring/bell wire. You may be able to improve your speeds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User fleebag
(newbie) Sun 24-Oct-10 12:55:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I telnetted my router. Thanks john2007.

My data rate is 1095 Kb up and 4961Kb down

Noise margin is 6db up and 12db down.

Attenuation is 35 up and 31 down.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 24-Oct-10 13:19:53
Print Post

With an attenuation of 31/35 down (some routers display the wrong way around) you'd hope to get the maximum sync of 8128kbps on standard ADSL.

Have you checked that the ring wire is detached? See http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html

Do you mind saying which router you are using? It may let us know if the stats for up/down are switched.
Standard User RobertoS
(legend) Sun 24-Oct-10 14:08:48
Print Post

If you can copy and paste the stats from the router that would be better still. As john says, the attenuations look strange, and to me the noise margins aren't what I would expect either.

If you are telnetting from a command prompt window, to get the whole window the easiest is to right click in it, click Select all in the popup menu, then press the Enter/Return key on your keyboard. Then paste as normal.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 24-Oct-10 15:09:32
Print Post

Generally upstream attenuation is half (roughly) the downstream attenuation, so something a little odd about your figures.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User fleebag
(newbie) Sun 24-Oct-10 18:24:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I did the ring-wire thing. There were wires connected to 2, 3, 5, so I pulled out 3.

Now my data rate is 1112 up, 4506 down.

Noise margin is 6 up, 11 down

Attenuation is 35 up, 32 down

I mistakenly said I telnetted it. It didn't like telnet. I got these figures from the router's html server.

The router is a Belkin F5D7632-4
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to