General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 13:59:11
Print Post

New isp needed llu

[link to this post]

I am currently on o2, but since they started trafiic shaping my p2p has gone below that of dialup.I use skype alot and download linux distros which then I install to old laptops for a hobby and to earn an extra few quid now and again.I am a heavy user.Can you suggest a decent provider here is my speeds at the moment,Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,317 / 17,899.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for speed and not having to worry about a small download limit.

O2 are so poor right now I am leaving them with my account in credit for free internet.I can get my MAC code and i want to leave asap.
This is my exchange

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:05:35
Print Post

Re: New isp needed llu

[re: gully666uk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gully666uk:
I am currently on o2, but since they started trafiic shaping
Traffic management only applies to new products. What package are you on?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:11:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I signed up again for another 12 months in October, I was not told they would traffic shape .Emailed the CEO and they will let me leave with no charges since the listened to calls.I'm on the all rounder.I'm not staying on o2 at all.Customer services are dire and i'm sick of the idiots I have dealt with in the past few months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:14:42
Print Post

Ah I see, unlucky. Well, you could join BE, Sky Unlimited, or C&W through Uno.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:39:39
Print Post

There seems to be a lot of that going on, first-line doing the wrong thing frown! As the CEO's office has tacitly acknowledged by saying you can leave.

There is no need for anyone on a legacy package to do anything. At the end of 12 months it just becomes monthly, on the same product with no traffic management or strict FUP.

Just go to Be! Exactly what you used to have. No problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User blueacid
(member) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:02:49
Print Post

Linux ISOs? Seriously, 40mb netinstall CDs are where it's at.

Oh, "Linux ISOs", riiight wink

Either way, RobertoS is correct. Move to Be*, you'll be connected on the same network (so basically the same line speed), but there's no traffic shaping. Few quid more but it's worth it!

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:11:24
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

How does BE compare to C&W+Xilo for you?

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:20:26
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

I love the way heavy users try to cover up their obvious downloading of the internet by substituting movies for linux distros. It seems they have to download a new one every time rather than sticking to one they are comfortable with.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 01-Jan-11 19:49:17
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

The ISPs are to blame (especially LLU products) if you offer near unlimited it will be used by the heavy mob. If you had to pay for what you used as in your electricity usage then there wouldn't be the problems there are right now.

Of course in the real world that will never happen.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 01-Jan-11 19:50:10
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

The ISPs are to blame (especially LLU products) if you offer near unlimited it will be used by the heavy mob. If you had to pay for what you used as in your electricity usage then there wouldn't be the problems there are right now.

Of course in the real world that will never happen.

Net Marshall
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to