General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 13:59:11
Print Post

New isp needed llu

[link to this post]

I am currently on o2, but since they started trafiic shaping my p2p has gone below that of dialup.I use skype alot and download linux distros which then I install to old laptops for a hobby and to earn an extra few quid now and again.I am a heavy user.Can you suggest a decent provider here is my speeds at the moment,Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,317 / 17,899.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for speed and not having to worry about a small download limit.

O2 are so poor right now I am leaving them with my account in credit for free internet.I can get my MAC code and i want to leave asap.
This is my exchange

Any suggestions please?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:05:35
Print Post

Re: New isp needed llu

[re: gully666uk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by gully666uk:
I am currently on o2, but since they started trafiic shaping
Traffic management only applies to new products. What package are you on?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:11:48
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I signed up again for another 12 months in October, I was not told they would traffic shape .Emailed the CEO and they will let me leave with no charges since the listened to calls.I'm on the all rounder.I'm not staying on o2 at all.Customer services are dire and i'm sick of the idiots I have dealt with in the past few months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:14:42
Print Post

Ah I see, unlucky. Well, you could join BE, Sky Unlimited, or C&W through Uno.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 01-Jan-11 14:39:39
Print Post

There seems to be a lot of that going on, first-line doing the wrong thing frown! As the CEO's office has tacitly acknowledged by saying you can leave.

There is no need for anyone on a legacy package to do anything. At the end of 12 months it just becomes monthly, on the same product with no traffic management or strict FUP.

Just go to Be! Exactly what you used to have. No problem.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User blueacid
(member) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:02:49
Print Post

Linux ISOs? Seriously, 40mb netinstall CDs are where it's at.

Oh, "Linux ISOs", riiight wink

Either way, RobertoS is correct. Move to Be*, you'll be connected on the same network (so basically the same line speed), but there's no traffic shaping. Few quid more but it's worth it!

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:11:24
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

How does BE compare to C&W+Xilo for you?

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 01-Jan-11 17:20:26
Print Post

I love the way heavy users try to cover up their obvious downloading of the internet by substituting movies for linux distros. It seems they have to download a new one every time rather than sticking to one they are comfortable with.

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 01-Jan-11 19:49:17
Print Post

[re: kamelion] [link to this post]

The ISPs are to blame (especially LLU products) if you offer near unlimited it will be used by the heavy mob. If you had to pay for what you used as in your electricity usage then there wouldn't be the problems there are right now.

Of course in the real world that will never happen.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 01-Jan-11 19:50:10
Print Post

The ISPs are to blame (especially LLU products) if you offer near unlimited it will be used by the heavy mob. If you had to pay for what you used as in your electricity usage then there wouldn't be the problems there are right now.

Of course in the real world that will never happen.

Net Marshall
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 01-Jan-11 19:53:21
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
The ISPs are to blame
for what?

Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 03:49:56
Print Post

To be honest I don't download movies, I do use skype which has become really [censored] of late also so it's nothing to do with piracy not everybody on the web is a pirate sorry to shatter your misconceptions.

Insert Amusing Signature Here
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 10:23:59
Print Post

Do you, or someone else in the household, do a lot of streaming like BBC iPlayer or other TV services though? They could hammer your usage. Even YouTube.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 10:36:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Do you, or someone else in the household, do a lot of streaming like BBC iPlayer or other TV services though? They could hammer your usage. Even YouTube.

I have Sky Player on the pc and xbox.But since I live on my own that shouldn't be a problem.I have my mac code now and have moved to Sky I won't be returning to o2 again.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 02-Jan-11 11:05:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by gully666uk:
I have Sky Player on the pc and xbox.But since I live on my own that shouldn't be a problem.I have my mac code now and have moved to Sky I won't be returning to o2 again.
Sky Unlimited really is unlimited so you will have no problems hammering the connection.

Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sun 02-Jan-11 12:26:49
Print Post

A bit unfair to call O2 since you have been hammering your O2 connection for pennies "using skype and downloading linux distros"

Unless you use the video component of skype I can't see how their p2p restrictions could hurt since the voice component doesn't use much bandwidth, but at at least you aren't coming to BE and wrecking our network, so good luck with sky smile

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User T1Cybernetic
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:36:00
Print Post

How are you finding your return to sky? I am still on o2 Premium (Contract is up in Feb) But I am moving back to sky as soon as my contract is over (Never had a problem with them before) I only moved because I was saving a few quid.

I really wish I had stayed with sky now with all the throttling talk going around about o2 frown

Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 15:48:04
Print Post

[re: T1Cybernetic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by T1Cybernetic:
How are you finding your return to sky? I am still on o2 Premium (Contract is up in Feb) But I am moving back to sky as soon as my contract is over (Never had a problem with them before) I only moved because I was saving a few quid.

I really wish I had stayed with sky now with all the throttling talk going around about o2 frown
Your minimum term is up in February. If you do nothing your O2 premium continues on monthly contract and your savings continue.

Just watch out for anyone ringing you up and offering two months free to sign up for another 12 months - that's how the OP got caught out, as that would be to a new product. Just say you want to stay as you are.

There is a debate going on in another thread about how to get or continue a retention deal on the legacy products, saving even more money. The ones I'm aware of who have approached this the right way have succeeded, and I shall be trying it as my current extra £2.50 discount is very welcome.

Premium is not throttled, and if it ever is you will be on monthly anyway so no big deal.

Standard User T1Cybernetic
(regular) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:00:27
Print Post

I've just been reading the other thread, At least it's possible to come out of this throttling situation smiling, I'll give anything a go, If I can stick with o2 as it is and save money that is a win situation indeed.

We are trying to tighten our belts and add line rental too that's where the concern starts but apart from that the only other reason for moving back to sky was so all our phone/broadband and line rental bills were bundles into one, Just for peace of mind smile My girlfriend prefers it that way tongue I suppose it makes sense although I'm easy.

There's 5 of us in this house so as long as we all can game + xbox + download all our favourite tv episodes and watch plenty of youtube etc We'll be happy wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend. (Bruce Lee)
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jan-11 16:34:17
Print Post

[re: T1Cybernetic] [link to this post]

There's the rub frown.

If you want O2 Home Phone then you would have to move to a new broadband package. You couldn't stay on Premium.

Just as off-putting to me would be that if you go to Sky for both broadband and line rental then that would be full LLU, which means if you ever want to move again the line needs bringing back to a BT WLR supplier which can cost money and more importantly almost always involves loss of broadband for several days, perhaps over a week.

You could of course have broadband and line rental with Be, as that is partial LLU. But more expensive than Sky I assume.

Standard User gully666uk
(newbie) Sun 02-Jan-11 18:45:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by kamelion:
A bit unfair to call O2 since you have been hammering your O2 connection for pennies "using skype and downloading linux distros"

Unless you use the video component of skype I can't see how their p2p restrictions could hurt since the voice component doesn't use much bandwidth, but at at least you aren't coming to BE and wrecking our network, so good luck with sky smile

To be honest give it time O2 will wreck it all on there own.And yes I was video calling.If you had the experienced the shocking level of service I have when calling customer services and the damn right rudeness I have experienced then you might not be so quick to jump to their aid,And this is not a snap decision it was the final straw in a catalogue of really bad things they have done over the past 6 months,Like not finishing a mobile phone contract when the term had expired on request then charging us 3 times for the trouble.In truth this was the final straw.So me calling o2 what I like is pretty justified I feel.

Standard User blueacid
(member) Mon 03-Jan-11 16:10:43
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Sorry for a slow reply, Batboy;

With regard to comparing C&W LLU at MRCEN to Be* LLU at MRARD, I can discern no real difference.

I use around 80-100gb most months, made up of a variety of things. Currently got radio streaming, few SSH windows open and browsing a few forums (so nothing much). The killer is when I game while on skype to my opponents; tends to guzzle a bit more bandwidth! Considering both networks currently offer unmetered connections I'm not too fussed there.

As far as I can tell the pings between the two networks are around the 15-25msec mark to London based servers. I'm not an avid gamer so I've never really kept a close eye on my pings; they've never ever gone over 35-40 to BBC on either ISP, but again I've not really kept my eyes peeled there.

Throughput has never (memorably) been below around 85% of my sync speed on either ISP... although I had different sync speeds at each property (16/1 when on C&W, 10/1.3 on Be* - held back by a longer line at this new place!). If it ever HAS gone slowly, I certainly haven't noticed it!

So from my perspective, neither network provider has the edge over another with regard to backhaul performance, all I can really tell between them with is the monthly fees and free router Be* loan. Up to the individual punters to decide what combination of contract / connection fee / supplied router they want. If I'd wanted a higher upstream, the flexibility of the Be* DSLAMS would also have swayed it... for me I'd prefer faster downstream, but I'm currently constrained by physics...

Hope this helps someone smile

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 03-Jan-11 16:46:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by blueacid:
Sorry for a slow reply, Batboy;
No problemo, agradecimiento.

Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Jan-11 16:50:14
Print Post

Be broadband is very good, or get yourself on Virgin Media cable.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.
Standard User ColossusUK
(newbie) Thu 06-Jan-11 15:04:42
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

I'm having the exact same problem, since they introduced their new traffic shaping in December I've had problems with every application that tries to use the internet. Online games, Video streaming and iPhone apps just to name a few are unusable now.

I can only guess the new traffic shaping is an attempt to stop illegal downloaders but it seems to be affecting everything and I had a long list of problems with O2 when I first signed up with them, this is the last straw.

It's reassuring to hear that people have been able to get out of their contracts and I'd really like to take advantage of Sky's great deals that they currently have to offer, so fingers crossed!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Jan-11 15:24:09
Print Post

[re: ColossusUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ColossusUK:
I'm having the exact same problem
Are you? What package are you on?
since they introduced their new traffic shaping in December I've had problems with every application that tries to use the internet. Online games, Video streaming and iPhone apps just to name a few are unusable now.
It only affects the new packages. If you are on a legacy package then either there is some other problem on your line or you are being shaped by mistake. IIRC there have been some.
I can only guess the new traffic shaping is an attempt to stop illegal downloaders but it seems to be affecting everything
Nithing whatsoever to do with illegal downloaders - there are plenty of legal large downloads as well, and it doesn't affect everything. So that again points to some other problem.
I had a long list of problems with O2 when I first signed up with them, this is the last straw.
When did you join and what were they? Maybe they weren't correctly fixed.
It's reassuring to hear that people have been able to get out of their contracts
The poster had a specific and watertight legal reason to be released from their contract. I doubt if you have.
I'd really like to take advantage of Sky's great deals that they currently have to offer, so fingers crossed!
Ah! Interesting.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 13-Jan-11 21:03:56
Print Post

Hi, sorry for the late reply, RobertoS.

Firstly, I'm on the All Rounder and my contract started in September and I wasn't told anything about the new traffic shaping back then. The problems I had when I first signed up were mainly customer service related. I also had a lot of problems with the router provided by O2, in the end I purchased a replacement and throughout November I had no problems whatsoever using my new Netgear router, then December hit and it all broke again.

I've had it with O2, and even if they want to charge me to get out of my contract, I'll be happy to do so, I'd rather have an internet connection I can actually use. I plan to contact them tomorrow as I have the day off.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to