General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Judsmiles
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 15:46:07
Print Post

x tiscali now talk talk need a new ISP asap!

[link to this post]

I'm getting to the end of my rope with my current ISP I'm no longer contracted and need some advice please.
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 11-Jan-11 16:09:52
Print Post

Re: x tiscali now talk talk need a new ISP asap!

[re: Judsmiles] [link to this post]

Which exchange are you on?

What are your current line stats reported by your router?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 16:30:49
Print Post

Adding to BatBoy's questions, do you pay them for the line as well or is that with BT or anyone else? Try running this test and see if it runs, or just says "Performance Tester is unable to run the speed test for your telephone number".

If it runs, please post the results as far as the end of the numbers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 11-Jan-11 16:31:35)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Judsmiles
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 18:23:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I have used another router instead of my new belikn one and got this far sorry so not teckie at all !
you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of 1120kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

not sure how to find line stats sorry frown is it something like this ...

Uptime: 0 days, 4:01:41
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 832 / 6,016
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [KB/KB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12.0 / 19.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / 
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 33 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 148 / 2,020
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 164 / 252
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 116 / 177

my exchange is WNLFF
thanks for your help!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 19:01:31
Print Post

Right, that looks as if you are on a Tiscali Datastream connection. That's good, as migration out should be straight-forward once you choose who to go to. Do you pay the phone line rental to Tiscali/TT or to BT or to someone else?

You haven't got any LLU suppliers at that exchange, so we need to know a little about your type of usage, as we need to suggest ISPs with the right price/quality/allowance balance for you.

Do you do gaming, or a lot of downloading? P2P, TV catchup and so on? Any VOIP? Have you any idea how many GBs per month? If you do download a lot, could you schedule that to be done overnight?

Is there just you, or do you have a few youngsters who may hammer it?

How much are you paying now, and what's your top limit?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Judsmiles
(newbie) Tue 11-Jan-11 19:52:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was so busy educating myself on your brilliant pages I missed your post sorry wink
happy it should be straight forward, to answer you questions,
I pay TT direct for phone line I have a few youngsters and use P2Plots of tv catch up (those youngsters again) no VOIP I download a fair bit I was unlimited with tiscali but now I have acquired TT they introduced a 40GB cap anyway frown my last bill was £31 calls are expensive I tend to use my contract mobile when possible as for their customer service it is disgraceful so I value your help thanx smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 11-Jan-11 20:23:55
Print Post

I suggest you try vivaciti Family 30, and probably their phone service as well. You will need to do a bit of research on the total cost, because of the phone call side of things, but overall that combination is possibly your best bet.

Ignore all the other stuff on there for the moment as either you can't get it or it is more expensive. More about that in a moment.

The Family 30 is resold Entanet. The good side of Entanet is that for many it gives excellent price/performance/capacity, the bad side is that for the rest the performance can suffer badly at times.

You need to ask in the Entanet forum what Oswestry performance is like, as the determining factor is the exchange. What can happen is medium to good performance in their peak period that becomes better in off-peak, or alternatively good in peak that becomes noticeably poorer in off-peak.

Whatever that enquiry produces, unless people say it is dreadful, I would recommend trying it anyway to form your own opinion. It is only a monthly contract, so you could easily change to a different vivaciti package or look around again at leisure. They allow you to keep the line if you migrate out.

Standard User tobykim
(experienced) Wed 12-Jan-11 23:03:20
Print Post

If you have sky tv try their own online checker to see if you can get their LLU service, they have enabled a few exchanges in North Wales very recently (including mine) samknows is out of date for these exchanges they are trying to update the new exchanges but are awaiting a reply from sky

"edit" just looked again and samknows has now been updated so it doesn't look as though it's enabled

Edited by tobykim (Wed 12-Jan-11 23:06:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Jan-11 08:20:30
Print Post

[re: tobykim] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by tobykim:
... samknows is out of date for these exchanges they are trying to update the new exchanges but are awaiting a reply from sky

"edit" just looked again and samknows has now been updated so it doesn't look as though it's enabled
Can you tell us a bit more about samknows update please, in this thread? In particular how long since you last looked and it wasn't up to date, and when Sky(?) was activated?

Print Thread

Jump to