General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Jan-11 22:25:34
Print Post

Switching Provider

[link to this post]

Hello,
Pretty soon I am thinking of switching from AOL to another ISP.
I am wanting a package including both unlimited broadband and calls.
So far I am thinking of going with BE. Just to make sure I'm posting here for some extra advice.
My local exchange is: NSSWY

Thanks for the help!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 14-Jan-11 23:15:38
Print Post

Re: Switching Provider

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Unless there have been recent upgrades that haven't been updated on to samknows yet, you cannot get Be or any other LLU. Have you tried putting your number into the Be website?

Unless there is a really pressing reason for it I also recommend people not to go for phone/broadband bundles. Most of them are not much cheaper than having them separate, except for introductory offers, and many of them are associated with 12 or 18 month contracts for one or both of phone and broadband. There are one or two that are acceptable though.

On your exchange, which on samknows seems to be limited to ADSL Max, (up to 8Mbps), from BT Wholesale ISPs such as AOL and many better ones, you really do need to concentrate on finding the best broadband supplier for your needs, preferably on a monthly contract.

If you can get Be then fine, that is the best. But if you go for the phone bundle with them, then if and when you migrate the broadband away you also have to move the phone elsewhere within a short period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 14-Jan-11 23:26:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for the advice. It does indeed seem that I can not get BE up here.
I'm afraid I'm not too clued up on BT Wholese ISPs, are there any you could recommend?
Thanks again.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Cobra001
(member) Fri 14-Jan-11 23:39:43
Print Post

zen was a great ISP i used them b4 swapping to LLU
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 14-Jan-11 23:41:17
Print Post

[re: Cobra001] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Cobra001:
zen was a great ISP i used them b4 swapping to LLU
Why did you move?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Jan-11 12:42:18
Print Post

On your exchange, there is in effect no such thing as unlimited broadband. Unlimited calls is easy as I think every phone provider there is has such an option.

How much bandwidth/allowance do you really need, as that makes a huge difference to the price/quality balance of the ISP to choose.

How much do you pay AOL for broadband, what allowance is it. Do you do a lot of gaming? Is there a particular reason you want to leave AOL?

Who is your phone with, and is it unlimited now?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Jan-11 19:08:53
Print Post

Thanks for the help.
Taking into consideration what you said earlier in the thread, I've decide to take an unlimited calls subscription from TalkTalk since I am already with them.
I am also thinking of joining with Xilo.net.
As for allowance, I am on an old AOL Gold subscription, so would I be right in saying my allowance is 40Gb?
If so, I have only hit that a few times and the 50Gb allowance from Xilo looks good.
And yes, I do do quit a lot of gaming, definately what hits my download allowance the hardest.

Again, thanks for the help!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Jan-11 23:19:56
Print Post

No idea about the old AOL package allowance sorry, but the xilo 50GB package should be good for gaming from what I hear.

Bear in mind your exchange only supports ADSL Mac, "up to 8Mbps" connections, with either 448 or 832kbps upstream options. Whether that package has an 832 upstream option I don't know.

If you can find and post your router stats, see here for help, we can see what speed you should be getting now, and would be more likely to get with xilo.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 15-Jan-11 23:31:37
Print Post

Okay, here's a screenshot of the stats page:
http://i52.tinypic.com/2wrdgyd.png
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jan-11 23:38:03
Print Post

Home 50GB dosn't do the 832k upload, you'd need Office 15/40/80GB for that.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to