General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GStadium
(newbie) Sun 16-Jan-11 19:16:57
Print Post

Recommended provider on Tyneside (near Gateshead exchange)?

[link to this post]

Like many forum contributors, I'm coming to the conclusion that Demon Internet now offers poor value for money and does not care about its customers. I've considered switching to Virgin or BT but am reluctant to go to Virgin as it means drilling more holes in the walls for cables, and potentially more cables snaking around the living room (we already have too many).

I'm looking for speeds of at least 6Mb (my line can evidently support 7) and a decent data allocation (Demon gives me 60Gb per month) at a price of no more than £23 per month. Download speeds on Demon average between 1 and 2Mb on a connection advertised as "up to 8Mb", which I think is down to lack of bandwidth for customers on the same feed.

Can anyone recommend a provider in this area that gives them good service and would allow me to keep the BT line?

John H, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 16-Jan-11 19:49:40
Print Post

Re: Recommended provider on Tyneside (near Gateshead exchang

[re: GStadium] [link to this post]

If this is your exchange I would have a look at the LLU provider BE Broadband and see if there is asuitable package for your type of internet use.

If it's not your exchange still use the exchange search tool and see what is available.

Edit :- of course if you have Sky TV then you can get Sky LLU as part of a bundle deal

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 16-Jan-11 19:55:32)

Standard User GStadium
(newbie) Mon 17-Jan-11 21:00:50
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Thanks, Alastair. Gateshead is my exchange - I live less than a mile from the location on your link and it tells me I could get up to 14Mb. This certainly looks like better value if the service is reliable. Is this the same company as o2? I've just been looking at their offering and their packages look very similar, if slightly more expensive. I think I read somewhere that they were the same...

John H, Gateshead, Tyne & Wear, UK

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:17:37
Print Post

I think I read somewhere that they were the same...

O2 bought BE for their BB network, and both ISPs use that network.

O2's BB products have been revised recently and the traffic going over the network is managed/shaped.

BE's products are not traffic shaped at all.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 22:32:07
Print Post

As Apprentice says. be and O2 used to be nearly tghe same, with O2 being the prefrred option for many for a number of reasons.

The new O2 packages are dramatically worse. Fortunately for those of us already there we are allowed to stay on our great legacy packages.

Have a look at what I say about both in my ISP Tips section.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User NationsurfUK
(newbie) Wed 19-Jan-11 20:10:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The great thing here is the choice, depending on your demand.

BT 21CN upto 20Mbps - some come with free overnight and weekend usage
Opal based for upto 20Mbps with great value landline included
or O2/Be Based which depending on reseller, can be of great performance.

This choice allows you to match your budget or demand.

Edited by NationsurfUK (Thu 20-Jan-11 02:52:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 20-Jan-11 00:05:42
Print Post

[re: NationsurfUK] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by NationsurfUK:
The great thing here is the choice, depending on your demand.
This choice allows you to match your budget or demand.
That post looks like you are trying to sell your re-seller services.

As a pedant I wish you had used the word "requirements", "desires" or "needs". Not "demands".

As a searcher for truth, I'd like to know if you are the first O2-based reseller, as I'm not aware of any. There are of course several Be resellers, but if that is what you are then you are the first to describe that as O2-based. Some of your packages do look to be incorrectly described Be-based ones.

As for FTTC, in the UK it is Fibre Optic, not "Fiber" Optic, and you state you provide a free VDSL router. Errr - no you don't! Even if you did, it wouldn't be much use on a VDSL2 service.

There's probably a lot more wrong with your site, for example in your "Pro" LLU product description, (I assume Pro is an abbreviation for "Professional"), you have the word "dpwnload". Ummm. Professional? tongue.

Far more important than that of course is that there are no details of your Limited Company if there is one. Otherwise, as a Sole Trader or Partnership those details should be on your website.

Nor is there any mention that I have seen of membership of any ADR service, an OfCom requirement of ISPs, which you certainly cannot avoid (as a reseller) without declaring the names of the companies you are reselling and their statuses in that respect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 20-Jan-11 00:57:43
Print Post

I'm also confused by his website, after the brief glance as is warranted.

What the hell is "Free Overnight & Weekend Usage" under BB? Is it free BB use which is a given unless "Free" is meant to be "Unlimited". Or is it free phone use? There is no mention that any Call Plans are included esp. as 3 (Compare our Packages) products don't include landline and the one that does doesn't have "Free Overnight & Weekend Usage" confused

Also the products under Compare our Packages don't agree with those under Products -> BB; neither titles, prices & quantities.

Nationsurf: Who are we? We're Nationhost, Are we schizophrenic?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User NationsurfUK
(newbie) Thu 20-Jan-11 00:58:54
Print Post

Hi RobertOS

First of all, We're not trying to market or spam our products on this forum, We're simply offering our opinion to a post. Can't fault that there is great choice on this exchange.

We see it as demand (or desire, needs or requirements but technically we're talking the demand for bandwidth, The networks on offer provide a wide range of quality, speed and usage choices via a wide range of isp's, partners and resellers.

Our website has a few errors, it was a rushed job due to designer issues prior to launch and work is being done to resolve all errors. Proof checks should have been done, we can only apologise for confusion and resolve as soon as possible.

We are operating as a sole trader, (Listed In T&C's) becoming a partnership or incorporated shortly. I shall make this bolder on our website as suggested.

All our required independent complaints commissioner details are listed here, via linked on contact us page & make a complaint link via the footer. We'll also make this clearer.

Complaints Commission Details (PDF)

Myself, Ryan or Edd will be using this username, Once again, i apoloise for any confusing or doubt.

Thanks
Chris

Nationsurf Broadband
www.nationsurf.co.uk

Edited by NationsurfUK (Thu 20-Jan-11 02:53:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 20-Jan-11 02:09:17
Print Post

[re: NationsurfUK] [link to this post]

Do you want us to have to contact O2 and inform them that they have a firm claiming to resell o2 broadband?

A massive difference legally between o2 broadband and Be Wholesale products.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to