General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bon1
(learned) Mon 17-Jan-11 12:36:56
Print Post

Advice needed... ZEN or Newnet

[link to this post]

Hi all,
I'm needing some advice, I'm about to leave my current ISP that I've been with for 8 years and cant make my mind up who to go with. I dont mind paying a wee bit more for a good service as I'm currently paying £23 for a terrible one.

Zen and Newnet seem to tick all the boxes... both have swaying factors...

Zen's £25/month for 50gb ( I dont usually go over 15gb/month) monthly contract and no setup fee.

Newnet's... £18 for 10gb but unlimited between midnight or £23 for unlimited(actually 50gb) but they have a £30 set up fee and a 12 month contract.

I'm tempted to go for Zen's rolling contact and test the water... but the Newnet free downloads after midnight is appealing too.

Can users of either please help give me a gentle nudge towards one or the other and why they think I should. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 12:50:13
Print Post

Re: Advice needed... ZEN or Newnet

[re: Bon1] [link to this post]

Both are in the top flight.

Note that Newnet count uploads towards your allowance, I don't think Zen do. The 12-month contract is also a bit off-putting, it used to be monthly.

Sorry to add to the dilemma, but have you also looked at IDNet? Just watch out for the different ADSL (up to 8Mbps) and ADSL2+ (Up to 24Mbps) pages. Also monthly contract and upload not counted.

All three will give you good performance. A ratings comparison.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Bon1
(learned) Mon 17-Jan-11 13:03:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that... IDNet look great too! I'm only able to get 8Mbps anyway and they have 40 gb (10 peak and 30 off peak) for £18 which would suit me perfectly. You just made it so much harder for me now to decide...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 17-Jan-11 14:17:38
Print Post

Well that's the top three of the well-known ones, so it can't get wider/worse now. Who are you with at the moment by the way?

Let me know what you decide and how it goes smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User Tacitus
(experienced) Mon 17-Jan-11 19:04:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Bon1:
Thanks for that... IDNet look great too! I'm only able to get 8Mbps anyway and they have 40 gb (10 peak and 30 off peak) for £18 which would suit me perfectly. You just made it so much harder for me now to decide...
Both iDNet and Zen are one month contracts so whichever you sign up to you have an easy way out. iDNet's allowances are slightly greater than Zen are offering and they also have a very good support forum over at iDNetters.

To my mind the choice comes down to iDNet or Zen. For me iDNet just has the edge, but TBH I doubt you would be dissatisfied with either.
Standard User Bon1
(learned) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:02:37
Print Post

Thanks guys, your input has been a massive help. Was just about to sign up with IDNet but made the mistake of going onto ISPreview and the first few comments about them were negative. I'm still edging towards them but the 10gb peak is worrying me (if it had even been the 15gb that they offer on the up to 24mb deal for the same price, would have been better) ... I came across Xilo on ISPreview and they seem quite highly regarded and they offer 25gb though no off peak allowance, but I doubt if I'd need anymore with 25gb to play with. That's £16 but with a £11 set up fee (if I read it right). Do you guys know anything about Xilo? Good comments and highly rated over there but not even on the compare broadband options here... Thanks again! (I'm currently with Supanet RobertoS)
Standard User Bon1
(learned) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:42:15
Print Post

Re-reading Xilo's terms I think they do have free off peak usage... can anyone confirm this? Also, what does... Uno and Fast ISP's have to do with Xilo?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:43:51
Print Post

Xilo/uno are not shown separately on this site because only ISPs with their own connections to BT Wholesale are listed, unless they are LLU.

They are resellers of a few wholesalers, with a well-designed product portfolio. You will rarely see anything but rave reviews of them here. The owner is also very active and helpful on these forums, not just to promote his products. Obviously helping people that way is bound to be good PR smile.

I frequently suggest them to enquirers, but because you had narrowed it down to two good ones I thought adding IDNet was sufficient, as those three are in effect direct competitors.

If you want to see more about xilo/uno have a browse of the Resellers forum.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:45:42
Print Post

As far as I know fast is a different ISP altogether.

Uno is the rebranding of the xilo Home/Soho products. Just the uno site isn't available yet.

Standard User Bon1
(learned) Tue 18-Jan-11 12:57:41
Print Post

Thanks... I didn't even know resellers existed... does that not mean if there's a problem with the service then there's nothing directly they can do about it... as they're not actually providing the service and just selling on someone elses?

Sorry about the confusion over "fast"... some guy was answering queries on here with regards to Xilo.. but had Uno as his sig.. but when I clicked on the sig it took me to Fast before redirecting me to Uno.

Now I'm really in a quandary... IDNet or Xilo... (I guess the fact that Xilo are resellers is the reason they charge a setup fee regardless of whether you have a MAC or not)...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to