General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Jan-11 19:48:29
Print Post

ISP for a student flat

[link to this post]

Hey, I live by myself in a flat and I have been using a dongle for the past year. However now I feel that its usage limits are quite restrictive as I now want to use the internet for streaming and gaming regularly. I do not have a BT Landline so my options are limited. I'm thinking Virgin Media Cable but I heard its unreliable, congested and pings are sometimes high in the evening - which is when I use the internet a lot. I live in the RG1 area. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Jan-11 19:59:51
Print Post

Re: ISP for a student flat

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

How long will you be staying in that flat?

Most contracts for phone lines are a minimum of 12 months, what does the landlord say regarding any installations e.g. holes drilled in the building etc etc.

Mr Mistery
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Jan-11 20:21:45
Print Post

He definitely does not want a BT Line installed. But Cable is alright, anyway I'm planning to stay here cos I got a job lined up after I finish, so it will be longer than 12 months.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:23:19
Print Post

That'll be Virgin then. Does he know that involves a similar cable to a phone line?

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Jan-11 20:27:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Yes, but he goes he does not want the bother of landline rental charges as you can get cable without paying for a virgin line. Is Virgin generally a good ISP?
Standard User BatBoy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 20-Jan-11 20:29:55
Print Post

Virgin Cable is ok, but note it costs more without the phone.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 20-Jan-11 20:33:20
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Cheers. Worried about the ping as I'm an avid gamer and I've put it off getting broadband for the flat. Heard it pretty congested in student areas...
  Print Thread

Jump to