General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 10:13:46
Print Post

Market 1 resident - best just go with BT?

[link to this post]

HI,

Ive been researching which is the best BB for us and just read that our exchange is in a Market 1 area.

Given that, isnt it likely that BT will offer the best deal seeing as anyone else who can offer me internet access will essentially just be providing a BT line albeit dressed in their clothes (which i assume will cost more)?

Thanks

Marcus
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Jan-11 10:45:37
Print Post

Re: Market 1 resident - best just go with BT?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Depends on what you want from the connection

BT Total use traffic management to control traffic at peak times.
Other providers who have clearly defined usage limits don't have the management systems, i.e. traffic agnostic
BT Total millions of customers and thousand's of not very knowledgeable support staff
Smaller providers often with better support staff.

So while it may be a BT Wholesale service on Market 1 the difference in QoS, based on how much money the ISP spends on the service can make a massive difference to your experience.

Or put it another way, if all providers were equal on a Market 1 exchange, why do people not buy just the cheapest product all the time?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 11:13:22
Print Post

isnt it likely that BT will offer the best deal

not necessarily, they have a lot of loyal customers who won't switch away so the need to be ultra competitive may be less than others.

If you're just buying broadband then BT Total Broadband effectively rents access to the line from Openreach in the same way as anyone else.

If you're buying line rental and calls too then it pays to shop around - I don't pay call setup charges with IDnet but I would with BT, and as we make lots of short calls that makes a difference (as an example).

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 11:30:16
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
BT Total Broadband effectively rents access to the line from Openreach in the same way as anyone else.

good point, i had forgotton that. I am just looking for broadband access, no need for a call package.

Our exchange is also 8mb max only, which limits the packages available as the most competitive ones seem aimed at the up-to-20mb crowd.

Thanks for the replies though

Marcus
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Jan-11 13:28:29
Print Post

As MrSaffron said, it depends what you want to use the internet for.

Some ISPs are good for one thing and bad for another, or perhaps they offer different packages which vary in the same way.

If you just intend to browse, do email, banking and online shopping for instance, the best ISP/package is a different one from if you intend to be streaming catchup or live TV a lot, downloading films, constant YouTube, etc. What about gaming?

Descibe a bit of what you will be doing please.

What's the most you want to pay for the broadband, with the phone as a separate issue/cost? Don't worry about the "up to 20Mbps" packages as very few ISPs now distinguish between those and "up to 8Mbps" in their pricing. You just find a bit in the small print saying it depends on your exchange whether you get over 8Mbps on them. You can still have the package.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Jan-11 13:35:29)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 13:47:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Roberto,

Thanks for your reply, we'll being using it for a mixture of home/business functions.

Im guessing the sub-text of your question was how heavy a user will i be - yes, we do watch films, download large files etc so i reckon approx40gb monthly usage.

Also, need to ensure VPN works ok as know a number of people who cant have a Virgin system as it doesnt support their vpn access to work.

Cost isnt too much of an issue, but dont really want to go over £20/month.

Given the above, im leaning towards o2 at the moment (though may have to be their access-only service) given the ability to have 30day contracts, seemingly high customer satisfaction ratings and im an o2 mobile user so get a discount.
Standard User fig
(committed) Fri 21-Jan-11 13:56:59
Print Post

As someone who moved house from a Market 3 exchange to a Market 1 exchange, I'll give you my experience.

I was with PlusNet, I changed to O2 LLU and it was fantastic. When I moved house, I ended up on O2 Access and then they imposed all their limits on usage down to unacceptable (for me).

I'm now with PlusNet again on their Extra package so I have 60Gb a month usage 8am-midnight, unlimited after that. I pay £17.99 a month with no contract (i.e. I can leave anytime with minimal notice period and no charges).

I work at home, so I'm on VPN 24x5 (laptop left on all week as it backs up overnight over VPN) and that added to normal usage, streaming, downloads, etc I use 150Gb a month roughly (always <60Gb peak though).

Unless you plan to p2p 24x7, PN are hard to beat.

plusnet 4/11/2003 -> 4/3/2009 512Kb-2Mb
O2 Standard LLU 4/3/2009 -> 23/6/2009 ~3Mb O2 Access 13/7/2009 -> 22/6/2010 ~8Mb
plusnet 22/6/2010 -> ?? ~8MB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 21-Jan-11 13:59:00
Print Post

Do not buy the o2 access product with your usage levels - it is a slow and congested product.

40GB under £20 and quality will be difficult on Market 1

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 14:12:53
Print Post

hi there i think you shud look at post office broadband the service is very good no slow downs in the evening and its unlimted i download way over 60gig per month
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 21-Jan-11 14:26:49
Print Post

[re: fig] [link to this post]

Thanks for that fig, i have been going back and forth between plusnet and o2 and was all ready to plump for plusnet until i read some reviews on the internet which put me off. I do have my own router, so could also get their no-contract option.

(I really should know by now though that people mostly post online reviews when theyve want to moan)

The £20 max was an ideal, i am prepared to pay more for a reliable service.

MrSaffron, thanks for the warning, much appreciated

Anon- will look at post office, thanks.

Marcus
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to