General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NuttyMucker
(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 15:01:02
Print Post

Which ISP

[link to this post]

I need some help here.

I got my MAC code last week from BT after terrible broadband experience since last August. They have stated they will waive the fees remaining as I am in contract for another 12 months.
I have narrowed my choice of ISP to Fast or ADSL24. The reasons for this I am waiting on my cabinet being upgraded to FTTC (15/02/11) and I need to be on a ADSL service so the move to fibre should be painless and quick. This is why I have ruled out a LLU service as the I would be tied to a 3 month contract whereas 1 month on ADSL.
I wont get blistering speeds on FTTC due to the distance 1.1 miles from cabinet but anything will be better than 1mb (BT can only give me a 0.5mb service at the moment, one of the reasons for leaving)
Fast offer minimum FTTC at 5Mb however they have a 45GB cap for the price that I am interested in. You can buy bolt ons of extra data if required.
ADSL24 offer 30GB peak and unlimited after midnight and at weekends.
I am not a heavy user these days and only interested in gaming xbox and browsing you tube iPlayer etc
I have spoken with both companies and until yesterday it was ADSL24 all the way. Now after speaking with FAST who are a local company to me I am now torn.
I am looking for advice and any experiences members would like to share which could influence my decision. I have until 16/02/11 to use my MAC but I would like to sort a new ISP out this weekend so come 01/02/11 I dont miss the new Maps for Black Ops smile
So, which should it be Fast or ADSL24?
Thanks in advance

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 22-Jan-11 15:29:43
Print Post

Re: Which ISP

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

How many game demos do you download? 1GB a time can quickly add up, as does a couple of hours a week on iPlayer

30GB is you can remember to do demo downloads at night would be fine I reckon. Need to check what the cost implications of going over the 30GB limit are

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Jan-11 15:35:03
Print Post

I haven't any direct knowledge, but I believe the site with this comparison is owned by James of ADSL24.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 16:19:27
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
How many game demos do you download? 1GB a time can quickly add up, as does a couple of hours a week on iPlayer

30GB is you can remember to do demo downloads at night would be fine I reckon. Need to check what the cost implications of going over the 30GB limit are

At the moment very few game demos are downloaded because of my speed but once my speed increases on fibre (between 8Mb -12Mb) I could see me downloading more which makes ADSL24 more attractive with unlimited at weekends and after midnight.

(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 16:22:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I haven't any direct knowledge, but I believe the site with this comparison is owned by James of ADSL24.

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about this site.
Fast being number 1 and ADSL24 being 11 should be a no brainer but the cap on fibre with Fast is niggling me. This is realy frustrating because I want to make the right choice first time unlike I did changing to BT last August and getting my fingers burnt!

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jan-11 16:30:14
Print Post

In reply to a post by NuttyMucker:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about this site.
Fast being number 1 and ADSL24 being 11 should be a no brainer but the cap on fibre with Fast is niggling me. This is realy frustrating because I want to make the right choice first time unlike I did changing to BT last August and getting my fingers burnt!
As neither have a forum here, I wouldn't recommend either of them.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 22-Jan-11 16:42:01
Print Post

A couple of posts found by using the Search button:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/f/3939289...

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/f/3909489...

Edit:- there's probably more to be found.

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Sat 22-Jan-11 16:45:25)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:46:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
As neither have a forum here, I wouldn't recommend either of them.
ADSL24 can't have a forum, else I'm sure they would. Often seen in Resellers though, though less than in the past.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
(regular) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:47:59
Print Post

Thanks for the posts very useful and sorry yes I should have used the search feature but never thought of it (Long week)

Batboy: Why should I not touch either of them. On reading about Fast I think I will dismiss them and go to ADSL24. Are you discounting ADSL24 based that they dont have a forum on this site or is it because of the reviews once they moved onto Murphx wholesaler? The reviews are mixed but still alot more positive than mixed. Also James frequents this site and responds to any PM's sent to him (Well he has for me)

I wont be able to order infinity because of their threshold however I wouldnt anyway beacuse of the issues that I have had with them so I need an ISP that will be able to push my order through and James (ADSL24) has been very helpful in the past with any questions that I have put to him. Any posts I have read regarding them have been more positive with a few negative but no ISP has 100% total satisfaction and I wish to keep my costs down.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 22-Jan-11 17:55:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by NuttyMucker:
Batboy: Why should I not touch either of them. On reading about Fast I think I will dismiss them and go to ADSL24. Are you discounting ADSL24 based that they dont have a forum on this site
Yes, that and the fact they run dslzone and so the reviews there are biased.

_______________________________________________________________more_unwritten_rules_than_posts__________________.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to