General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Mxx
(newbie) Sun 30-Jan-11 16:36:23
Print Post

rennovating property need broadband assistance

[link to this post]

Hello we're currently rennovating a property and will be for the next 3-5months.

We're currently using a 3G Dongle PAYG. However the service is unrealiable and expensive.
The property currently has no phone line connected up.

The local exchange is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SWGBY

There's a few options however we are stuck choosing a provider due to there longterm contract. And i cannot garuntee the Acquisition of another property afterwards.

Looking for Standard Broadband Speed upto 20mb *good price* and a ok contract length.

Thanks
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 30-Jan-11 17:05:36
Print Post

Re: rennovating property need broadband assistance

[re: Mxx] [link to this post]

BT wholesale based providers can do monthly contracts, usually with a setup fee. Will probably limit you to up to 8M on that exchange though.

http://www.plus.net/ do favourable pricing on Market 3 exchanges like yours, and do monthly contracts.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Jan-11 17:48:12
Print Post

I'm fairly sure the Post Office do phone installation and monthly contract for it. Prices about the same as most others. Their broadband is 12-month.

Once you have that, vivaciti Surfwise Variety can give you partial LLU from Opal Wholesale, on monthly contract. See this thread.

If you are too far away from the exchange to get much over 8Mbps, or that is too expensive, then both phone and broadband from Plusnet as mentioned by yarwell make sense until you decide whether you are staying or not. (You can't take Plusnet phone without their broadband, though as I understand it if you migrate the broadband away later you can keep the phone. Don't take my word for that though!)

You can get some sort of idea of broadband speeds there by drilling down to the address through this samknows page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Jan-11 17:49:40)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Mxx
(newbie) Sun 30-Jan-11 18:14:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks rob, i am 500m from the exchange so 20mb+ is very likely.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 30-Jan-11 18:47:08
Print Post

Just a question of weighing up the cost/benefit of vivaciti LLU v 8Mbps with the BT DLM and Plusnet traffic management then.

Ah! That vivaciti probably has a restriction on P2P. I'f I'm not mistaken, both that and the 100GB limit can be lifted by taking the "Surfwise fileshare add-on".

Other good ISPs you could look at are IDNet and Zen.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 30-Jan-11 18:48:14)

Print Thread

Jump to