I am new to the forum but I have been lurking around long enough to know that this is the place to go if you want excellent advice
My question is basically this: What ISP to go for and how best to handle the low speeds?
I have provided the following pictures and below I state some of the things that I would like to see from my ISP/broadband. (Also, we are moving to our new house in three weeks time. I have used the present owner's telephone number to fill in details about broadband availability etc.)
Hm... Couldnt get the pics to show so here are some links instead:
As you can see, we are limited to Market 1, so no LLUs and stuff. We are about 2.6km from the exchange (I think). I take it that this means that we will have to live with slow speeds... I will now list some things that might be useful for you guys.
(1) We would ideally like to have a phone line as well, preferbaly with some kind of unlimited evenings/weekend calls.
(2) We are willing to pay about £40 per month for phone/broadband (this can be stretched if needed).
(3) Preferably on as short a contract as possible and certainly, if it can be avoided, anything like a 12 month contract. (BT only offer 12 month contracts, right?)
(4) I do not know anything about routers, but we are willing to splash out on a good router if that is needed. If would be great if someone could give any tips of nice routers and what they will cost.
(5) Stability and reliability is very, very important for us. I understand that the speed of the connection will be slow, no matter what, but it must be reliable. My girlfriend works from home so she must have access to e-mail and other things more or less at all times
(6) We do download quite alot now (music/film) and we stream a lot too (Spotify/I-player, ITV player etc.). There will be a certain amount of gaming too (MMORPGs) as well as Skyping. And then of course the general browsing and stuff. This means that we are after a sizeable download allowance per month.
I know that this is probably much to ask given the poor connection that we will have but any kind of advice regarding what ISP to go for would be highly appreciated. Any tips/tricks of how to make the connection as fast as possible would also be great
Sorry for such a long, first post here. I hope it is reasanbly clear though.
Thanks in advance!
Edited by Voices (Tue 01-Feb-11 12:56:20)