General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User benbird7
(experienced) Thu 03-Feb-11 12:36:06
Print Post

New Provider

[link to this post]

Dads moved house and would like new broadband already ported his number over with BT line is activated on 21st Feb and in a 12month contract with them *hands tied*.

Exchange is : http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EALOW

I am with Xilo, but I don't think he wants to pay the £48 connection fee, even though monthly rolling, property is a little way from the exchange so LLU is preferable to omit the need for bras profiling.

Any suggestions on a decent ISP, my younger bro games on PS3 quite a bit so ping times are an issue, nothing major in the way of usage, no more than 10GB a month should easily cover it.

He hasn't and doesn't want Sky, freeview all the way lol, so can't get the deal sky are offering, also none of them own an orange mobile, all are on o2.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Ben Bird

Xilo <--- The dog's danglies!
3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 62DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by benbird7 (Thu 03-Feb-11 12:37:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Feb-11 13:15:09
Print Post

Re: New Provider

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

I say stay with xilo.

Most of the acceptable non-LLUs will charge a connection fee anyway, so it's only the difference he is looking at. Though Plusnet could be an option.Plusnet Value would do for your dad, but only Plusnet Pro would do for bro's gaming frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User benbird7
(experienced) Thu 03-Feb-11 13:21:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks RS.

On plusnet what does that go through, btipstream? If it is then it would still be using the bras profiling that I wanted to try and avoid to get the best connection speed possible.

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 62DB.

My Broadband Speed Test

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Thu 03-Feb-11 15:20:12
Print Post

[re: benbird7] [link to this post]

Gaming is in Titanium (highest priority) on all other accounts than value, so Extra should also be fine for PS3 gaming plus there's the larger peak time usage allowance. Looks like there's 21CN at your exchange so while you would connect over IPStream we could put you on the DLM trial which allows us to specify the line profile rather than it happening automatically.

Hope that helps,

EDIT: Apologies, it'll not be over IPStream as that's the 20CN network. It'll be done over WBC (Wholesale Broadband Connect) which admittedly works in a very similar way as far as profiling goes.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support

Edited by orbrey (Thu 03-Feb-11 17:22:24)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User benbird7
(experienced) Sun 06-Feb-11 20:55:10
Print Post

[re: orbrey] [link to this post]

Thanks for the update and confirmation Matthew, nice to see you guys active in this forum, I set my grandad up with you and he hasn't had a problem.

Will consider all options.

Regards,

Ben Bird

3km from Exchange
Downstream Att 62DB.

My Broadband Speed Test
  Print Thread

Jump to