General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 07-Feb-11 18:49:28
Print Post

jumping ship from freedom2surf

[link to this post]

Hiya,

I am after a little bit of advise please.

i have been a customer of F2S for aslong as i can remember, service always been really good and tech help on the odd time i have used them brill aslwell.

However all the changed on Feb1st when opal/talk-talk/carphone warehouse etc etc.moved us across to their servers. Since then its been like being in the old days of aol adsl, and the caps returned as part of their fair use policey. One of the reasons i moved to F2s, because they set you a limit.

I had a letter from Opal stating that my terms and conditions whould NOT change, however since they have shut the F2s memebers area down and their own memebers area doesnt work. I have a funny idea that that have changed the download limit and pushed us onto the fair use policy.

I spent all sunday phoning them and got different answers everytime to why my speed since feb 1st has been so poor 0.3 upload speed 0.1 download. we live out in the sticks so dont get fantasitc speed. However at the moment its even a struggle to get Google to load let alone you tube.

Indeed when contacting Opal and freinds the only person that can access my freedom 2 surf details was the sales department. The nice lady gave me a number to tiscali the isp owners of freedom2surf. Phoned it and guess what its talk talk and so is the numeber on the f2s site!!!!!

So have dicided once again my love of opal has returned, and they say a leppord doesnt change its spots that also applies to opal. looking around the fourms and internet it appears that people are leaving whats left of F2s like rats on a drowning ship.

F2s had built such a strong fan base we stuck threw them thick or thin however i think time has come to leave.

We do use the internet alot but when me moved out into the country the BB line is slow, because were are so far from the exhange. However i kept on the pro package because of what we got

100gb download limit
fix Ip address
free hosting

we use youtube alot, play games online & bbc iplayer ( which we cant use anymore)

I would like to move onto something very similar and woundered if anyone had any isp's we could go to. I have done alot of research and found 3, and also woundered if anyone had experince with them good or bad. I would like to have gone with 'Be' but they are not in the area.

Virgin unlimited package
zee
Vivaciti

Thanks guys for any help

Jon

P.S/ and any X F2s people who maybe about in here, many thanks for the sterling service over the years. RIP Freedom 2 Surf
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:16:26
Print Post

Re: jumping ship from freedom2surf

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you have any questions specific to any of the packages with ourselves you have been looking at just let us know.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Zadeks
(member) Mon 07-Feb-11 19:24:38
Print Post

Don't touch Virgin! Check out Zen & IDNet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcmaczone
(committed) Tue 01-Mar-11 22:27:35
Print Post

Same story here. Download speeds have been pathetic last few weeks and upload has halved. Ping not great either. Have been giving them a chance since we have been with them so long but I have really had enough now.

I think tomorrow I'll get my mac code and jump ship to Idnet. They are more expensive but from what I have read a lot more reliable and there's no traffic shaping or port blocking which is what I think is now going on at F2S/Opal. Anyway it's a 1 month contract so got to be worth a try. Choices are limited as like you we are out in the sticks so no LLU or fibre for us and our exchange isn't even on any upgrade list frown
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Wed 02-Mar-11 06:49:06
Print Post

I don't think it is fup as I am getting the same speeds and we tend to download 10gb I was wondering if it was traffic shaping as it seemed to consitent but then I did get a download speed of 0.6 one evening. I am switching to sky as they have unbundled our exchange.

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.
Standard User Jesthar
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:04:39
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

I'm in exactly the same boat - been with f2s for a long time, knowing I could get it cheaper, but staying because of the fab customer service.

As soon as I found out Opal/TalkTalk were taking over I knew what was likely to happen, and lo and behold it has been - speed has plummeted (OK, my router is old, but not THAT slow!), it takes longer to connect, random freezes, and the other night I couldn't even get a connection for half the evening.

The most annoying part is I don't think I can get anything better! frown Even though I'm only a couple of miles away from a major town centre, the exchange I'm on doesn't offer any of the good quality player like Be, only BT, Virgin ADSL, Orange, Plusnet, O2 and a couple of small providers I've never heard of. We don't even have cable, or I'd be sorely tempted right now. So it looks like I'm well and truly up a certain creek without a paddle, as whatever I do will be 1) more expensive and 2) worse service

Does anyone have any ideas how to make the best of this nightmare?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:10:36
Print Post

[re: Jesthar] [link to this post]

the exchange I'm on doesn't offer any of the good quality player like Be, only BT, Virgin ADSL, Orange, Plusnet, O2 and a couple of small providers I've never heard of
Sounds like we should be able to find something there. Which exchange is it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User Jesthar
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:15:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Spencers Wood in Berks - RG7 1DS finds it. I'll be glad of any assistance which can be offered, been looking for a place to ask this question for a few weeks now! smile
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:29:40
Print Post

If this is your exchange then I would agree with Zadeks, it looks like it's a choice of an up to 8Meg connection from either IDNet or Zen (both provide monthly contracts)

I see there is also FTTC in some areas, do you know if it is in yours yet?

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Wed 02-Mar-11 18:34:00)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 18:31:47
Print Post

The most important questions are how much download and upload allowance you need/want, and how much are you willing to pay for the broadband?

Just a silly question as well, have you tried your number in the BT Infinity checker? Not that I'm suggesting it, but some areas have FTTC available with several suppliers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to