General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zian
(newbie) Thu 10-Feb-11 18:32:18
Print Post

Wondering if I should go with this

[link to this post]

Just wondering if anyone can advise, I don't understand technology very well and even less about ISP's
I'm currently paying BT over £40 a month for option 3 ( including landline) and I don't use the daytime calls.(I needed the unlimited option)
Because I'm a orange mobile customer they have offered me a 28 mb speed on LLU which includes 09 and 08 numbers free for £19 a month.(evening and weekend calls inclusive)
BT offer the same without the 08 and 09 calls for £24.50 but a 10 Gig download limit
.Is Oranges service any worse than Bt's ? (it can get quite slow in the evenings with bt)
Is their any other ISP that I should consider getting a similar deal from ?
Thanks in advance for any input or info that can lead me in the right direction

addon
Even if I buy out the last 6 months of my contract with BT it will save me £30
They want £167.31 fo do so

sorry about the bold lost my glasses
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 01:50:57
Print Post

Re: Wondering if I should go with this

[re: Zian] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zian:
Because I'm a orange mobile customer they have offered me a 28 mb speed on LLU which includes 09 and 08 numbers free for £19 a month
Orange does not do 28 Meg BB; it's "up to 20 Meg" on LLU. Are you sure it's LLU they've offered you? Rumour hath it they are putting new customers on non-LLU if they estimate you won't get more than 8 Meg. Post your router stats to see if you could benefit.

No one does free 09 (premium rate) calls nor the whole 08 range free. Both BT & Orange allow 1 hour calls to 0845 & 0870 free. There must have been some misunderstanding.

That £19 pm is Orange's normal price for "broadband & off peak calls" package to Orange mobile customers.

Orange LLU is fast reliable and value-for-money providing you haven't got a long line. I've never suffered peak time slowdowns with it. LLU always beats IPStream by not having the inherent delays imposed by BT's IP Profile DLM.

(Bolded For Your Eyes Only)

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User Zian
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 02:18:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

thanks for the reply
Maybe I misheard him, I will check again as their ringing me back at the weekend, whatever I will ask that I get it in writing before I do anything, I should have learnt by now that salesmen just can't be trusted unfortunately.
He did say they were the only ones that offered the free08-09 numbers but he may have meant 0800 and 09 something which doesn't make sense to me as I thought they were free anyway, my web search has proved fruitless as to what he was refering too
I live in cornwall and know we are due super fast connectivity in the future but not sure what it is at present.
Thinking about it, upto 8 can sound like 28. He wasn't British
Found the glasses by the way

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 02:36:39
Print Post

09 calls are at Premium rates and could be many £s per min. No one could afford to offer them free.

He might have said 03 which is the new non-geographic prefix costing the same as the usual 01 & 02.

Orange's sales webpage:
unlimited evening and weekend calls to UK landlines, including 0845 and 0870 numbers
(weekdays from 6pm-6am and all weekend)
You don't need to order with that salesman on the phone; you can order it online to be clear and it will give you their estimate of your speed. You can then save a copy of it as proof.

The future "super fast connectivity" is FTTC/FTTH and is nothing to do with existing LLU.

What are your router stats?

Glad you found your glasses.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 11-Feb-11 02:44:20)

Standard User Zian
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 03:05:15
Print Post

All I know without help is that I am using a bt home hub 2
and I found only this page which looks like it could be about speeds
hope it's not a completely stupid answer but I get the feeling it maybe so I ran a bt speedtest and posted that , I have noticed that despite the 995kb upload test result it does go to 1.1mb when I've ran this before

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 22 days, 17:02:32
Downstream 14,047 Kbps
Upstream 1,144 Kbps
FAQ

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
10840 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 10840 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14047 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1144 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 12000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 3.93:16.05:80.02 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
955 Kbps

0 Kbps 1144 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 955 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1144 Kbps
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 03:19:40
Print Post

You done good smile

For completeness just like to see from the Router the Down/Up Attenuation and Noise Margin figures (in dBs). Probably just below the ones you posted.

All figures look good and show you have a medium fast line of at least 14 Meg (the other figures I asked for may show it could be even faster). There would be no justification for Orange to put you on an 8 Meg package.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 11-Feb-11 03:22:39
Print Post

Put your phone # in Orange's s Availability Checker here: http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/productDetails.js... and see what it estimates.

Standard User Zian
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 09:24:02
Print Post

Thanks again for all your help
The orange site said upto 11 mb
So I'll definetely make sure that they use LLU

LIVE LONG & PROSPER : )
Standard User Zian
(newbie) Fri 11-Feb-11 09:31:30
Print Post

I was going to copy and paste this last time and then deleted this bit as ADSL settings are just an alien language to me
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 11.9 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 26.0 dB / 13.2 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.3 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 15581 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up) nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 14647
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-Feb-11 09:39:28
Print Post

Just so we can assess what other options you may have, please would you put your phone number into this checker and post the URL (address) of the result?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to