General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User picky_user
(regular) Tue 15-Feb-11 14:44:56
Print Post

has anyone signed upto BT infinity

[link to this post]

Has anyone upgraded to infinity from a ADSL connection and noticed a significant increase in their sync speed? Are you gureenteed at least a certain speed? On the BT website it says up to 40MB

Also why do I need a BT line ? I thought it's fibre optic which is a different type of cable all together.

Edited by picky_user (Tue 15-Feb-11 14:51:15)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Feb-11 14:51:35
Print Post

Re: has anyone signed upto BT infinity

[re: picky_user] [link to this post]

Many.
All.
Have you tried your phone number in this checker. That gives you an estimate, and nearly all so far have been faster.

Not sure this is a "Which ISP?" question tongue. Maybe you should be browsing the Fibre Broadband, (there are several other suppliers of BT Openreach FTTC, Infinity is just the BT Broadband flavour), and BT Broadband forums?

Edit, to match yours - 15Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 15-Feb-11 14:52:18)

Standard User reme8488
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 15-Feb-11 22:22:46
Print Post

[re: picky_user] [link to this post]

I had a new phone line and Infinity option 2 installed on Tuesday of last week (8th Feb). My IP Profile is 38717 kbps downstream and 10000 kbps upstream.

The checker on the Infinity website predicted that I was able to get an estimated connection of 28.7 Mbit downstream and 6.8 Mbit upstream.

Speedwise I tend to get a constant 37+ Mbit down and 8+ Mbit up regardless of the time of day.

My line is exactly 547m length from my home to the FTTC cab (BT engineer informed me of the line length when doing tests after installing the line and then Infinity).

You can't have Infinity without a BT line - end of story. Infinity is fibre to the cabinet which means your standard phone cable runs between your premises and the FTTC cab and the the new stuff from the FTTC cab to the exchange.

To get Infinity you also have to be able to get a min of 15 Mbit downstream. Lower than that and no Infinity (as my brother found out: he's estimated to be able to get 13.1 Mbit down and 5 Mbit up).

You can get details regarding Infinity from BTs Infinity website: link

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards...
Tom

My Photo Galleries

My daughter Kerry's Art Gallery

Line 1: Sky LLU @ 6.5mbit/1mbit
Line 2: BT Infinity @ 38.7mbit/10mbit (line length to FTTC cab 547m exactly)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Feb-11 01:39:29
Print Post

[re: reme8488] [link to this post]

Infinity may be tied to a BT Retail phone line, but with other providers selling FTTC WLR/CPS options are still possible

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Feb-11 07:41:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Infinity may be tied to a BT Retail phone line
I seem to remember not long ago, (in oldie time), this was explored and it was established it isn't so.

Many BT staff will say it has to be a BT line, but just like any other "BT line" it can be with any WLR supplier. I don't find it surprising that BT staff aren't told BT does not mean BT Retail in this context.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Feb-11 16:29:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

He said "may" not "must"!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Feb-11 16:38:46
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
He said "may" not "must"!
The use of "may" in that construction is these days ambiguous. It could be "may = is indeed", or "may = perhaps is but perhaps isn't".

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:04:50
Print Post

Don't believe your 1st interpretation for 1 minute, nor does my dictionary. You're confused with "may indeed" indeed!

He may indeed have meant to say "must" but he did indeed say "may"!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User andyboygsi
(member) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:35:57
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

i have seen around 50 or 60 now with almost 100% achieving over 30m throughput via a wired connection. the results vary hugely with wireless though.

most seem to be around 36 to 38m

these comments are my own and in no way represent any company that i may or may not be linked too.

BTBroadband
Standard User andygegg
(newbie) Wed 16-Feb-11 17:38:33
Print Post

The eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed the small print on the new BT TV ads (I paraphrase) - 85% of users switching to fibre get at least a 3fold increase in download speed. So, if the fibre rollout over Cornwall actually happens, I've got an 85% chance of getting 2 point 5 Mb/s. Let joy be unconfined!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to