General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Feb-11 09:31:20
Print Post

Help evaluating choices

[link to this post]

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks and have been trying to do some research into which ISP I will be going with.

Currently on VM Cable 20mbps and, apart from poor CS, most thinhgs are fine.

My exchange is Queensbury (MYQUE) and, as Sam Knows, my summary is as follows:
* BT Wholesale ADSL
* BT Wholesale ADSL Max
* AOL LLU
* Bulldog LLU
* TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
* Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
* Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)

After looking at some reviews and knowing that I want an unlimited service, it seems to me that my only choice is to go with the overporced BT.

Orange: not heard good things re poor CS;
AOL: Don't think so from what I have heard;
Bulldog: No idea of these guys to be honest;
TalkTalk: Again, poor CS; and
Sky: Won't offer me unlimited package;

Is there anything further I can do to see if there are other options or is that my lot? If I have to pay BT for unlimited, then I will but I wanted to get some external advice.
Many thanks
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Thu 17-Feb-11 09:54:08
Print Post

Re: Help evaluating choices

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I'm sorry to inform you, but BT's interpritation of unlimited is not what you would expect.

The difference between the 40gb and the unlimited package is when you go over the 40gb limit on the 40gb package you get charged £5 for every 5gb over your limit.

As for the unlimited, You have a 40gb fair usage policy. If you go over the 40gb on the unlimited package, you dont pay any extra, but they just turn your speed down.
After they turn the speed down, they dont always turn it back up again.

Yes BT are very expensive for a 40gb limit.

May I recommend, that you have a BT telephone line, and I also recommend Vivaciti Surfwise 100gb usage £19.80 per month (better then BT's 40gb and cheaper to). They are only a 1 month contract so you can migrate out if you dont like it. It offers upto 24mb connection dependent on the quality and distance of your telephone line.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:39:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
* Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU

Sky: Won't offer me unlimited package;
Why not?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 17-Feb-11 10:47:40
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
I'm sorry to inform you, but BT's interpritation of unlimited is not what you would expect.
You are right there.
As for the unlimited, You have a 40gb fair usage policy. If you go over the 40gb on the unlimited package, you dont pay any extra, but they just turn your speed down. After they turn the speed down, they dont always turn it back up again
But you are wrong there. It used to be a 100GB FUP, now it is a 300GB FUP. But uploads are also counted. The speed reduction is to a very low level, for 30 days. Are you saying it may not get removed even after that unless you complain?
May I recommend, that you have a BT telephone line, and I also recommend Vivaciti Surfwise 100gb usage £19.80 per month (better then BT's 40gb and cheaper to). They are only a 1 month contract so you can migrate out if you dont like it. It offers upto 24mb connection dependent on the quality and distance of your telephone line.
I agree vivaciti is worth a look. They have three possible partial LLU suppliers there, so the poster would need to discuss the best option for themselves.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - O2 Standard.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Thu 17-Feb-11 12:11:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

At the beginning of January, I was looking at my options in changing ISP's.

I was concidering switching back to BT Broadband, but wanted to check their terms and conditions on their Fair Usage Policy. I read in the small print that the Fair Usage Policy was still 40gb, but I cant find it now to show you as they have re oganised the terms and conditions into seperate sections.

I will keep looking through the terms and conditions to see if I can find it again, and will show you it if I find it.

When I was with BT before on their unlimited package, they reduce my speed from 8mb and never turned it back up. I complained but was still stuck on 2mb for about 6 months. So I left.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 17-Feb-11 12:31:01
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

8 to 2 sounds more like a line issue, than their shaping which is often below the 2Meg figure

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Fri 18-Feb-11 06:27:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It did seem like a line issue until I phoned BT up to complain, and then being told I had been capped for going over my limit.

Switched to ADSL24, then speed was back to normal.
Standard User SimonCandest
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Feb-11 08:56:10
Print Post

TalkTalk: Again, poor CS;

I would have to say that, in general, this is not the case. I have now had to call them twice. In both cases I managed to speak to someone who resolved my issue (or had the information I required). I do not have huge problems with foreign accents since my job involves speaking to people with a range of accents (and often very poor English).

I know that CS for TT is very scripted. You may have to answer the same question several times, but the members forum is ok. The people there can be helpful for simple things, but I've had offputting experiences with CS with several isps so I don't really care if CS has a bad rep. As long as the connection is stable and the direct debit is not insane.....

My connection to TT has been stable since it was installed (apart from an outage which afaik was not a TT fault) and fast. P2P is not fast (which I don't mind since hardly ever use it).

My parents use TT. Some of my relatives use TT and many of my friends use TT and none of them have had any problems that were down to TT. My parents router packed up. TT sent them a new one. One of my friends routers blew. TT sent them a new one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Flying on TalkTalk

My Broadband Speed Test

Gib mir die Hand, ich bau dir ein Schloss aus Sand
Irgendwie, irgendwo, irgendwann.
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 21-Feb-11 11:41:33
Print Post

Bulldog don't exist any more, but the network still does, it is the Cable and Wireless network.

ADSL24, Vivaciti and Uno got packages for the network and it is unlimited and for a decent price and I mean unlimited, no FUP, no traffic management and no profiling.

Tesco also use the same network, they are cheap, but it is fully unbundled.

The only two I would recommend is Bulldog (cable and wireless) and if you want something a bit cheaper Sky.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 7 pro 64bit , laptop by ubuntu

On ADSL24 using C&W network.
Standard User SarahEmmm
(newbie) Thu 24-Feb-11 11:28:54
Print Post

If good service is more important than cost, consider Demon. I have been with them since the dialup days and NEVER have a problem. Plus, they automatically upgrade you to the best speed option - I've just had a letter saying I will be transferred to 20+Mb shortly.

SarahEm
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to