General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 17-Feb-11 22:07:48
Print Post

Another user wanting to leave Freedom 2 Surf

[link to this post]

I as another poster as looking to leave freedom 2 surf. We signed up with them in 2004 and we very happy with them. When Pipex bought them out it was still fine even when Opal and then Talk Talk did the same it was still fine, until the last few weeks.

We are now getting download speeds on the evening between 0.1 and 0.4, but during the day it is about 4.4. We were getting over 5 previously but I am happy with 4.4.

Our exchange is only unbundled for Sky and Talk Talk (though we are on BT hardware). Although Sky is very tempting due to price and no download limit. I am concerned by some reports I have seen of similar problems and a friend who has them (different exchange), is getting fantastic download speeds 13 -11Mbps, BUT his pings are very high. I was considering plusnet but saw the link on here to their traffic shaping which I suspect is what I am suffering from now.

We want decent download speeds in the evening, and will be also using it for playing PS3 games online.

The catch is we want about 10Gb download ability (though not a hard one, as we very occassionally go over f2s didn't even contact us on the few occassion we did), and don't want to pay more than the £14.99 we are currently paying.

Does any body have any suggesetions please? I am really after a ISP who is like F2S USED to be. Thanks

Nicky
Standard User NickyJ
(newbie) Thu 17-Feb-11 22:14:20
Print Post

Re: Another user wanting to leave Freedom 2 Surf

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I know I am not supposed to be reply to my own posts but I would like to apologise for the typo's. I am now registered. Thanks for any suggestions.
Standard User NickyJ
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:21:53
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I am considering IDNet as they are the same as I am paying at the moment, no traffic shaping etc. They have good ratings on here. Is anybody with them?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:26:45
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

Which exchange?

I would recommend sky tbh

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User NickyJ
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:30:07
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

They are on the list. I tried phoning them to try and discuss pings speeds etc. to discover that I can only phone them on an 0844 number, I have Sky talk and need to pay extra for that. They used to have an 0870 number and were selling sky talk on the fact that calls to technical support etc were included in your package. Not any more it seems! Unless I can phone them on a landline, 0870 or free phone number they aren't getting any more of our business and we will be moving our phone service away from them as the first opportunity (about 8 months left).
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:34:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by NickyJ:
I am considering IDNet as they are the same as I am paying at the moment, no traffic shaping etc. They have good ratings on here. Is anybody with them?
Quite a few, but you might like to have a look at their own (unofficial) forum here:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com ________________________Planes and Cars and ...________________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:41:13
Print Post

Your choice, but as you already have Sky TV you may as well benefit from cheap unlimited broadband. They can reduce the interleaving and upcap the sync speed on request.

Which exchange are you on, and what is your current attenuation?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User NickyJ
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 11:49:24
Print Post

How do I find out? I have a Belkin F5D9630.... which is another reason I don't want to go with them , I can't carry on using our existing router without a lot of messing about trying to get a valid password that will work.

These things you are telling me about them they would be able to tell me themselves if they didn't change their contact numbers.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 18-Feb-11 12:00:08
Print Post

Have a look here:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/f/2869468...

Standard User NickyJ
(newbie) Fri 18-Feb-11 12:58:15
Print Post

Ah the actual answer is - scroll down a little bit more. D'oh.

33 Downstream 21 Upstream.

What does this tell me though?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to