General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User TheLastMinute
(newbie) Sun 20-Feb-11 23:20:26
Print Post

BT ADSLmax or TalkTalk LLU?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I'm currently on O2 LLU getting about 16 Mbps down with have no complaints. However, I'm looking to move from here to a house on a large new estate that's around 1.1 miles from the exchange (SSLON). There's 1 LLU operator there (TalkTalk) while BT themselves only seem to offer ADSLmax as they are quoting 5Mb for the new address.

I use around 50GB a month (no P2P) and given that I'm an occasional home worker so upload speeds are of some importance, who do people recommend I go with? I know TalkTalk have a bad name with many complaints but is this just because they are big? Which is better, an ADSL2+ TalkTalk line or a BT ADSLmax based connect from one of the "rated" ISPs?

Many thanks,
TLM

Edited by TheLastMinute (Sun 20-Feb-11 23:36:59)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Feb-11 23:46:33
Print Post

Re: BT ADSLmax or TalkTalk LLU?

[re: TheLastMinute] [link to this post]

As well as TalkTalk direct customer broadband you can get LLU (poth partial and full) from at least two resellers of TalkTalk Business Wholesale. (The rename of Opal Wholesale).

On the vivaciti price list it is Surfwise Variety and Surfwise Complete - the latter being the Full LLU version. There is some restriction on P2P, but both that and the 100GB FUP can be lifted by taking the Fileshare Add-on. However - it looks like you would be fine without that.

xilo/uno have the same services available, but not yet on their website, so you would need to contact them.

Of the "rated" ISPs on BT Wholesale IDNet is high quality and possibly cheaper than Zen. I would explore both, and also Newnet. Of the three, only IDNet list the ADSL Max packages separately from the ADSL2+, so you need to check out what upload sync is available on which package (448 or 832kbps), and if you browse the IDNet site make sure you end up on an ADSL Max page, (the one I have linked to or the one with phone bundles), not the ADSL2+ equivalents. Note that all three have other listings for business products which may suit better than the SOHO ones most of us look at.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User krazykizza
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Feb-11 00:14:21
Print Post

As you are in a cable area have you thought about Virgin Media? If you already subscribe to Sky TV, you can bundle a TV service with fibre optic broadband and get it for a low price.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AOL > Virgin Media > Tiscali > Falconnet > UKFSN > Norfolk Internet
2mbps > Shapped 512k > 1mbps! > 6.5mbps > 4.5mbps > 6.5mbps
ADSL Joy. 31db att, 9db SNR, EntaFail.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 21-Feb-11 12:12:46
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

Urm you are not making sense?

Existing Sky subscribers get no special deals with fibre stuff, because

a) Virgin Media is a competitor to sky
b) Sky is not doing the FTTC Openreach products yet

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TheLastMinute
(newbie) Tue 22-Feb-11 15:11:37
Print Post

[re: krazykizza] [link to this post]

Krazykizza, I assume you mean if I already subscript to Virgin Media TV (which I do) I can get fibre optic broadband. Without a doubt I I would go for VM (I love the look of their new Tivo TV service) but even thought all the surrounding streets are cabled up, the road the house is on is a new build and Virgin haven't been installing any new infrastructure for quite a while now. They have recently starting in-filling such areas and I've already emailed cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk asking. But as there budget is £300 per house connected, I fear that it will just cost too much for them to wire up the road.

RobertoS, thanks for the info. I had no idea that there were resellers of TalkTalk Business so I certainly look into that.

Cheers,
TLM
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Tue 22-Feb-11 15:16:50
Print Post

I can't comment personally as I am currently with Talk Talk via BT hardware, but a lot of neighbours and friends are on Talk Talk LLU, one neighbour is happy with them. All the others, when I asked who are you with (as I wanted to switch), they all said "Talk Talk, they are awful",

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Thu 24-Feb-11 18:06:21
Print Post

TalkTalk LLU blows BT ipstream out of the water. Stick to web support with talktalk and you'll be fine smile

TalkTalk LLU rocks smile
IDNET ipstream sucks frown
  Print Thread

Jump to