General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User galustius2
(newbie) Sun 27-Feb-11 18:59:58
Print Post

which ISP on my area should I go with?

[link to this post]

hello!

I will be served by the Lowestoft exchange Code: EALOW and i am try find the best Internet provider.

This is my needs listed in decrease order:

1) reliabelity
2) Static IP
3) speed
4) Price
5) download limit:

here is a snap of what i got from the smaknows:

However, there is another service on your phone line (e.g. ADSL, LLU, DACS, etc) that would prevent you from ordering a new ADSL connection.

The following services are available in your location:

* BT Wholesale ADSL
* BT Wholesale ADSL Max
* BT Wholesale WBC (21CN)
* BT Wholesale SDSL
* AOL LLU
* Bulldog LLU
* TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
* Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
* Tiscali LLU
* Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)

Thanks for your help

LC
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 19:54:22
Print Post

Re: which ISP on my area should I go with?

[re: galustius2] [link to this post]

Out of those Bulldog has the best reputation.

I am going with Sky (although the only other unbundled option is Talk Talk on my exchange), the impression I get is they are good if they are good, awful is the are bad if you know what I mean. ie. customer services / techinical support isn't brilliant and some exchanges are oversubscribed and get slow downs. However if yours isn't they should be pretty good.

My Broadband Speed Test
Currently with Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf).
Switching to Sky.
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 20:15:30
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

Actually sorry scrub that completely about Bulldog, they USED to have a good reputation but got subsumed by Talk Talk (like Freedom to Surf and other ISPs did).

Sorry.

My Broadband Speed Test
Switching to Sky.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Sun 27-Feb-11 20:47:18
Print Post

Sky LLU hits your requirements apart from (as far as I know) not supporting the use of static IP addresses.
Standard User Adsl24
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:08:38
Print Post

But the Bulldog LLU network didn't get sold to Tiscali. The Bulldog network now belongs to Cable & Wireless so ISP's that offer a C&W LLU service such as ADSL24 can offer a great package smile We also offer C&W packages on a monthly contract whereas Sky would be 12 months etc.

James
ADSL24 Broadband
http://adsl24.co.uk

Edited by Adsl24 (Sun 27-Feb-11 21:09:15)

Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Sun 27-Feb-11 21:14:38
Print Post

[re: Adsl24] [link to this post]

That is good news, I went to there website and saw "Bulldog Broadband is a trading name of Pipex Internet Limited, a TalkTalk company" at the bottom and assumed the same thing had happened to them.

My Broadband Speed Test
Switching to Sky.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Feb-11 00:07:08
Print Post

You have left the "Download limit" value blank.

Some idea of your needs (and wants) in that respect would be very helpful. For example, most of the C & W resellers offer "unlimited" downloads, but the Tiscali tails service with a 75GB allowance is reputedly superior performance and adaptability.

Sky LLU is generally regarded as OK. It is the non-LLU Sky Connect that is utter rubbish.

There are also now resellers of TalkTalk Business Wholesale products, both Full LLU and Partial LLU. Those can be good packages.

I don't know whether or not ADSL24 offer these other packages.

As you seem to have the existing phone number, I assume you have the address. If you feed that into the samknows Exchange Mapping option you will get an estimate of speeds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User GeeTee
(member) Mon 28-Feb-11 07:55:39
Print Post

Good news in a way. Beware you cannot order Bulldog Broadband - the sign up options on that site will take you to the standard TalkTalk consumer packages and will be provided on TalkTalk LLU.

The SamKnows way of listing LLU is somewhat confusing given the various takeovers that have happened in recent years.

Should look more like:

* C&W LLU available via resellers
* Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)
* Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
* TalkTalk (CPW) LLU available via TalkTalk or via resellers (n.b. reseller offerings may have entirely different attributes to TalkTalk offered ones e.g. higher throughput allocation, no traffic management etc. please discuss with the reseller.)
Standard User galustius2
(newbie) Mon 28-Feb-11 13:31:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
You have left the "Download limit" value blank.

hello! That oisn´t the most important, Important to me is:

Provider be reliable really hate when in the midle of day am ssh a server and due the IP lease been renew i lose contact with the servers OR the 10 seconds downtime.

Provider provide Static IP ( I need that for tele-work) I know trhat i can get away with the Ddns service, BUT i need a static for be able to Open / close On server side acess

Speed (the more the better some times i need Dw a full server backup / edit and upload configuration and due that fact is nuch easier doing at 10+ megas rather then a 1mega.

Traffic: Well am not on P2P so normaly 40 Gb is more then enough BUT i would like get a solution that allows me to get much more traffic. ( i may start do offsite backuops to my house.)

Regarding the Providers and there resellers, Am noT familiar with who´s the reseller of who, so if you cloud shed some info i woul be apreciated.

At the moment I have o2 adsl (via BT whole sale) they are a bit slow and i get a loot of IP releases.

I had a very very good experience with Demon, Till they decided CAp me due the fact that in a month i went over the 60GB. Am thinking about them purely there pack Business, that gives me 200GB + static ip. BUT am got a bit worried about the reviews that i read on this forum.

so to sum up, am very undicided what to get, hence some help is apreciated.
Standard User NickyJ
(regular) Mon 28-Feb-11 13:39:14
Print Post

OK based on that. Wanting 10Mbps + (I assume you have checked you CAN get that with your distance from the exchange?), you are limited to LLU as anything on BT hadware is limited to 8Mbps. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Given your download amounts, going over 60Gb.... you need to look at an unlimited package, I normally use about 10Gb per month and that was pushing me to unlimited packages in a lot of providers.

My Broadband Speed Test
Switching to Sky.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to