General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User sleaver
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-11 10:53:36
Print Post

Thinking of leaving O2 - Any recommendations?

[link to this post]

I've been with O2 coming up to 3 years now and when I joined it was unlimited and not traffic shapped. However as everyone knows unlimited really isn't (though I've never come close to it as far as I know) and they have introduced traffic shaping.

Trying to watch an 8min video on YouTube on my iPhone doesn't happen unless it's poor quality, it took about 10 mins to download a 35MB update on the PS3 the other day, the wireless connect is starting to drop all the time and after doing three speed tests at 11pm last night resulting in 0.19 Mbps - 0.12 Mbps & 0.86 Mbps when I should be getting 6-8 Mbps and as I have just had the price rise letter I thought I'd consider moving.

So, does anyone have recommendations on who would be a good choice to move to? However, to make it a bit more complicated my local exchange is not LLU in anyway so I know things aren't looking great!
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Mar-11 11:04:58
Print Post

Re: Thinking of leaving O2 - Any recommendations?

[re: sleaver] [link to this post]

Which exchange?
What line stats does your router report?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 12:26:04
Print Post

The wireless connection dropping is nothing to do with O2, unless the box has developed a fault, in which case they will replace it.

That could also be the reason your other wireless downloads are slow.

Please will you post the results from a BT Performance Test, preferably done with a wired connection, not wireless.

Your FUP is 40GB.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sleaver
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-11 12:41:11
Print Post

Re: Thinking of leaving O2 - Any recommendations? *DELETED*

Post deleted by sleaver
Standard User sleaver
(newbie) Wed 02-Mar-11 12:47:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm at work at the moment so I'll get the info tonight but I can tell you that my exchange is Smallfield:

Smallfield, Surrey

Obviously the wireless is a different problem but it does it on all devices, iMac, iPhone (x2), iPad, PS3 so I will be phoning O2 anyway.

The speed test I did was after swapping the O2 router for a Netgear 834GT as the wireless drop outs made using it really hard.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 02-Mar-11 12:59:20
Print Post

Hi - if your broadband is dropping below 1MBs it is highly unlikely to be O2. I'm not on your exchange but O2 in Battersea delivers 12MBs pretty much any time of day to me.
I look after computers in SW London including broadband and have a professional ADSL tester - in my experience that kind of slow performance is due to a fault on your line. Just to make things more complicated, it's highly unlikely you will tell on the phone side and BT line tests over the phone sometimes don't pick up the fault either (but it's worth getting BT to do a line test anyway). Coupled with high ££ by BT to investigate if they don't find a fault and it can be a real pain to resolve. But bottom line is that moving ISP well well not make any difference to the issue you are facing.
Dudley
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 13:08:00
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi - if your broadband is dropping below 1MBs it is highly unlikely to be O2. I'm not on your exchange but O2 in Battersea delivers 12MBs pretty much any time of day to me.
He's on O2 Access.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 02-Mar-11 13:47:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He's on O2 Access.
Yes, and surely that was never unlimited and not traffic shaped?

@ Anonymous: O2 in Battersea, London is LLU and has no relevance to OP's situation.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU BB
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 02-Mar-11 13:56:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
He's on O2 Access.
Yes, and surely that was never unlimited and not traffic shaped?
Yes it was

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 02-Mar-11 14:10:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Access used to be unlimited, like the LLUs. Then over a few months they introduced an FUP at varoous levels, and settled on 40GB.

It is not traffic shaped. Congested - no doubt.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to