General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Mon 07-Mar-11 21:01:38
Print Post

Utility Warehouse who is the ISP

[link to this post]

I'm currently with o2 for broadband only but Im looking around for a Broadband plus phone package. As well as sticking with o2 I see the Utility Warehouse offers a deal which looks attractive. However, my question is. As there is no ISP provider listed here called Utility Warehouse who actually provides their broadband

Cheers
Bob
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Mar-11 21:10:42
Print Post

Re: Utility Warehouse who is the ISP

[re: blinkbonny] [link to this post]

A variety of providers, i.e. who ever will do them the best deal on an exchange.

Tiscali, now Opal, now TalkTalk Business selling wholesale is most likely, but probably also some Cable and Wireless.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TiMeTraVeLeR
(member) Tue 08-Mar-11 09:50:08
Print Post

I had a search about and found these reviews on the company does not make for good reading

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews119678.html

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 08-Mar-11 10:14:04
Print Post

> Utility Warehouse offers a deal which looks attractive.

Attractive in terms of features or price?

If price, ask yourself: how many corners are they cutting to offer this price?

Consider that the rumoured lowest-tier wholesale costs for WBC service are around 25UKP per month and LLU start somewhere in the mid-teens. If this ISP is offering lower prices than those then they're playing you.

--
Broadband Cynic
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Tue 08-Mar-11 11:58:48
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks guys for the feedback. As o2 are increasing the charge for my current service I thought I would take the oportunity of looking around for an alternative but this time to include line rental and anytime calls. Pricewise UTW looked attractive as was the feedback in the current Which magazine. The replies to my original post show otherwise. Since becoming an o2 user my download speed over the past 12 months has averaged out at about 6mb and an increase in price with no obvious benefits to me had made thinking about moving on
Be offers a similar package at a cheaper price point but when taking into account line rental and calls works out about the same were I to stay with o2 but add the phone
Another alternative is BT but feedback coupled to an 18 month contract is a real put off
Regards
bob
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Tue 08-Mar-11 12:30:05
Print Post

Have you checked if anybody has unbundled your exchange. Samknows is the place to go.

I have just switched to Sky - activated last night. So far my speeds are 10 times what I was getting for the last month of so from Freedom 2 Surf (back to what we USED to get get from F2S).

I am paying £7.50 for the broadband and £16.50 (IIRC) for the phone including anytime calls.

So far so good but obviously it is very early days.

My Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Tue 08-Mar-11 14:59:36
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

Thank you Nicky I had not considered Sky although I do have a Sky TV package. My exchange Wallsend provides my existing o2 package which is LLU supposidly. I worked through the Sky website and a check on my line stated speeds I should get between 10 and 20mb when BE and others state 6mb which is what Im getting now Irrespective of who I go with there are savings of plus £250 available by combining Broadband Line rental and anytime phone. Its just a case of who can provide the best Broadband service
Regards
Bob
Standard User techguy
(member) Tue 08-Mar-11 15:24:41
Print Post

I used to regularly come across a cab driver that fancied himself as a wheeler dealer and used to hawk this along with holiday lets.

I asked him this question and he couldn't answer me but would just say they are 'award winning' (I didn't ask whether that included a wooden spoon). so I never switched but have learnt that quality is more important than price which is why I now use Zen.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 08-Mar-11 23:37:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by blinkbonny:
Thank you Nicky I had not considered Sky although I do have a Sky TV package. My exchange Wallsend provides my existing o2 package which is LLU supposidly. I worked through the Sky website and a check on my line stated speeds I should get between 10 and 20mb when BE and others state 6mb which is what Im getting now Irrespective of who I go with there are savings of plus £250 available by combining Broadband Line rental and anytime phone. Its just a case of who can provide the best Broadband service
Regards
Bob
If you post your full line stats from the O2 Box, see here for help, we can tell if you are on LLU with O2 which is probable, and also tell fairly accurately your maximum possible speed. The others are all estimates from a notably unreliable BT database.

Whatever you do, do not go for an O2 broadband and phone bundle. That would mean having one of the new O2 broadband packages which are in almost all respects far inferior to the one you are on.

In fact be very careful about any bundle. Few give you much price advantage once you look at the addons like Caller Display and 0845 free/chargeable, and the ones that do are usually full LLU so a pig to migrate away from if you want to.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre.
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Wed 09-Mar-11 06:44:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sky came out on top on the calls stuff. Caller display was free (though you must ask for it when you sign up) 0845 numbers are extra but 0870 numbers are included and there customer support calls are included.

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Mar-11 09:03:05
Print Post

[re: NickyJ] [link to this post]

To expand on what Roberto said. If you get landline, calls and broadband from Sky then it will be full LLU. That means that MAC codes are no longer relevant and to move line or broadband requires the phone line to be returned to donor and can be a pig to do. It is possible but downtime moving from full LLU to another supplier can be much longer than involved with a partial LLU.
Standard User blinkbonny
(learned) Wed 09-Mar-11 10:52:36
Print Post

>>>Whatever you do, do not go for an O2 broadband and phone bundle. That would mean having one of the new O2 broadband packages which are in almost all respects far inferior to the one you are on.

In fact be very careful about any bundle. Few give you much price advantage once you look at the addons like Caller Display and 0845 free/chargeable, and the ones that do are usually full LLU so a pig to migrate away from if you want to.
<<<

Oh dear I’m. afraid I have gone and done a deal with my current ISP o2 with their All rounder Broadband plus phone and line. I have worked out that a combination of broadband phone line and calls versus what Im paying independently now is a saving of about £200 over the next 12 months. No doubt the costs will rise after that but I guess I could then switch to a new provider but would still be less than Im paying now.

As for the 6.1mb download speed it probably looks pedestrian to some but its adequate for what I require. Up to now I have had no complaints with o2 regarding their service so it really came down to “Better the devil you know” From April my current o2 broadband cost would have risen anyway and Im assuming their "All rounder" will provide a similar service to that which I’m currently receiving

Having said that your contribution had it come earlier in this thread (that’s not a complaint by the way) would have had given me second thoughts leading to further investigations

Your website is a great wealth of helpful information

Regards
Bob
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 09-Mar-11 12:19:01
Print Post

In reply to a post by blinkbonny:
Oh dear I’m. afraid I have gone and done a deal with my current ISP o2 with their All rounder Broadband plus phone and line.

Regards
Bob
Psst… Should have gone with Orange if they have LLU your exchange.

For customers with no Orange mobile phone contract, you get unlimited broadband up to 20 Meg with land line phone free evenings and weekend calls including line rental all for £24 per month, on 18 months contract.

If you have Orange mobile phone contract you get £5 per month discount. wink

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 09-Mar-11 13:30:19
Print Post

No matter. The problem with The All Rounder is the FUP and traffic management applied, see the ISP tips on my website. (And the thanks are appreciated). Those may be OK in your case. certainly the FUP shouldn't matter too much, but the TM might, and there is overall traffic management as well to keep time-critical stuff like VOIP running, which your previous package didn't have applied.

I'm not sure how you save £200 though, unless they gave you one of the whopping great retention deals we have seen a few of recently. One was free broadband for the year for a 12-month phone contract. That does have it's attractions smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 09-Mar-11 14:03:35)

Standard User DerekGCWhite
(newbie) Sun 14-Oct-12 23:35:20
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

The answer to the original question is Talk Talk (when I use the Thinkbroadband.com speed test my line comes up as Talk Talk) and I pay my bills to Utility Warehouse
I have recently upgraded to their Broadband Plus, otherwise known as FTTC, and have been very impressed and more importantly, for my peace of mind, my son is now able to game to his hearts content.
I have been with UW for 3 years now and have had no outages in that time

Edited by DerekGCWhite (Sun 14-Oct-12 23:40:19)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 00:50:51
Print Post

[re: DerekGCWhite] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by DerekGCWhite:
The answer to the original question is Talk Talk
That's just you!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 04:29:00
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

And the thread died 19 months ago.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.4/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 08:36:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by DerekGCWhite:
The answer to the original question is Talk Talk
That's just you!
There's no proof they use anyone other than TalkTalk, so I would agree Utility Warehouse = TalkTalk.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-12 09:49:03
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Utility Warehouse is very much NOT TalkTalk.

Yes they buy a service from their Wholesale arm, but they are not TalkTalk retail service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 09:51:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

Yes they buy a service from their Wholesale arm, but they are not TalkTalk retail service.
Oh, you mean TalkTalk Business?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 10:25:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

Yes, he means TT Business, which is likely to be DSLAM space rental, which means Utility Warehouse, (which I think also offers services where TalkTalk do not have a DSLAM), is less dependent on TT than Zen and IDNet are on BT Wholesale.

Saying Utility Warehouse is TT is sillier than saying Zen and IDNet are BT.

UW has for years had TT Business, previously known as Opal, as one of its suppliers, but only one of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User techguy
(committed) Mon 15-Oct-12 10:54:11
Print Post

I had to travel to and from my work via taxi for a time and one particular driver used to try and sell this every time he saw me.

I asked him this very question and he had not got a clue, nor could he tell me who supported it nor give me an idea of price, he just banged on about what a terrific deal it was and how he was raking it in and would likely retire early.

I did not take the bait as sounds like a pyramid selling scheme to me.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen => Freeola
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 10:58:26
Print Post

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

It is a form of pyramid selling as I remember from looking into it years ago. Highly "reference fee" driven, for all utilities.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:17:22
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Yes, he means TT Business, which is likely to be DSLAM space rental, which means Utility Warehouse, (which I think also offers services where TalkTalk do not have a DSLAM), is less dependent on TT than Zen and IDNet are on BT Wholesale.

Saying Utility Warehouse is TT is sillier than saying Zen and IDNet are BT.
Well, they are especially for fibre. As far as I can see, there are only 3 main players in the fibre arena - BT, Sky and TalkTalk. The others are simply reselling one of those.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:22:06
Print Post

As far as I can see, there are only 3 main players in the fibre arena - BT, Sky and TalkTalk. The others are simply reselling one of those.
The same applies to ADSLx.

For a change, I consider you are talking utter bilge.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:27:48
Print Post

On fibre it appears that the important stuff like interleaving and DLM, is out of the hands of the ISP. So what else do they do - IPTV? VOIP?
They are reduced to being resellers.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:28:54
Print Post

As far as I can see, there are only 3 main players in the fibre arena - BT, Sky and TalkTalk. The others are simply reselling one of those.
As a corollary, as far as I can see there are only two airline companies. Boeing and BAE. Can you tell me where to buy tickets to fly to Paris from Manchester please?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:35:18
Print Post

I suggest you fly by Star Alliance, SkyTeam or Oneworld.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 11:45:11
Print Post

Which company provides their planes?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 12:14:54
Print Post

They don't know (or care) as they are resellers. As a customer you can tell when you're on one.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 12:20:47
Print Post

So there are only two airline companies, Boeing and BAE.

I wonder how often you eat baked beans, and how often whatever brand you buy isn't really Heinz.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Oct-12 12:39:02
Print Post

There is that small little factor of what QoS controls are applied to the backhaul

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 13:43:45
Print Post

TBH I think planes and baked beans are off topic.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 13:57:15
Print Post

Well seeing as the corollaries destroy your argument, you would, wouldn't you.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Mon 15-Oct-12 14:18:11
Print Post

No, I just looked at the subject.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 15-Oct-12 14:26:40
Print Post

And gave an incorrect, or at least only partial, answer. It was your attempts at justifying that answer that gave rise to the difference of opinion.
Edit - I omitted an "f".

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 15-Oct-12 15:24:21)

Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 15-Oct-12 15:09:57
Print Post

Re: Utility Warehouse who is the ISP *DELETED*

Post deleted by flippery
Standard User flippery
(member) Mon 15-Oct-12 15:17:11
Print Post

Which company provides their planes?

Not BAE and that is for sure.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 15-Oct-12 16:41:00
Print Post

I am with 02 call anytime and broadband, my contract is up on November 7th . I contacted them telling them I was thinking of going fiber for a faster speed, They offered to reduce my bill if I signed up again, I have taken them up on the offer because of the UK help centers.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 15-Oct-12 16:53:53
Print Post

And the thread died 19 months ago.
Nevertheless it seems to have generated a healthy discussion, particularly between you and Batty grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to