General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-Mar-11 15:05:10
Print Post

ISP for new house on Hereford exchange

[link to this post]

Looking at options for new house at HR2 7GA on the Hereford exchange.

Chess Telecom business option 2 at £24.85 a month inc VAT. Line rental, 500mins landline calls and unlimited broadband. I have to pay the connection fee, presumably £130. Quoted 14:1 contention ratio.

Sky broadband unlimited, line rental and talk unlimited £21.25 a month for first year, £10 connection. Supposedly on IP technology rather than ATM and thus no contention ratio.

Suspect Chess will be much better, especially in the evenings, but puzzled by the contention ratio being mentioned for their service when it is supposedly not applicable for Sky? Does the Sky service depend on how many people are using the Hereford exchange at any one time, or only how many Sky customers are using that exchange perhaps? Is it a busy exchange do you know?

Suggestions please folks?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Mar-11 15:24:36
Print Post

Re: ISP for new house on Hereford exchange

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Suspect Chess will be much better, especially in the evenings,
I doubt it. Probably just a reseller for TalkTalk or similar.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 15:43:11
Print Post

Looking at options for new house at HR2 7GA on the Hereford exchange.

Chess Telecom business option 2 at £24.85 a month inc VAT. Line rental, 500mins landline calls and unlimited broadband. I have to pay the connection fee, presumably £130. Quoted 14:1 contention ratio.
Sounds a bit unlikely.

Strip out around £10pm for line rental and that leaves £15. Say £13 for the broadband. So how they manage that I have no idea. Sky LLU and TalkTalk LLU can do those sort of figures, but TalkTalk Business Wholesale doesn't, so maybe it is Easynet Wholesale.

Whatever, 14:1 contention ratio is balderdash.
Sky broadband unlimited, line rental and talk unlimited £21.25 a month for first year, £10 connection. Supposedly on IP technology rather than ATM and thus no contention ratio.
Something is confusing you there. All ADSLx broadband is basically TCP/IP based between the exchange and the internet, but between you and the exchange the TCP/IP packets are wrapped in ATM ones.
Suspect Chess will be much better, especially in the evenings, but puzzled by the contention ratio being mentioned for their service when it is supposedly not applicable for Sky? Does the Sky service depend on how many people are using the Hereford exchange at any one time, or only how many Sky customers are using that exchange perhaps? Is it a busy exchange do you know?
All ISPs budget their capacity on the basis of x kbits/s per customer, where x is often below 100. That is why it can be done cheaply and why congestion occurs at busy times. That is also why I say 14:1 contention ration is bunkum - maybe that means within the ISPs internal routing, but it isn't applicable outside that.

I think you need to try to find out whose underlying service Chess are selling.

Sky Unlimited LLU has high approval on this site but I believe traffic management. True unlimited though. As you were looking at Chess Business Broadband, is this for business use? I seem to remember that isn't allowed on Sky, but I could be wrong. Or you may just have picked out a Chess Business package as suiting your needs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 15:44:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Suspect Chess will be much better, especially in the evenings,
I doubt it. Probably just a reseller for TalkTalk or similar.
Did it really take me that long to type my reply to the OP? You hadn't posted when I started frown.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Mar-11 15:52:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Something is confusing you there. All ADSLx broadband is basically TCP/IP based between the exchange and the internet, but between you and the exchange the TCP/IP packets are wrapped in ATM ones.
I think he's referrring to the MER network that Sky have introduced

edit; not a great link, that

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Tue 15-Mar-11 15:56:33)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-Mar-11 16:42:48
Print Post

Discovered that Chess Telecom is a reseller of Talk Talk as you suspected. They say that they provide both talk talk retail and talk talk wholesale depending on customer requirements. Which is their phone line + broadband + 500 free minutes "saver option 2" likely to be? Retail or wholesale? Is it good? I do know that they have a proper UK helpdesk which is a good start. Might I be better off with BT [then I don't get charged to cancel my current account with them or get charged to connect at the new place] or Sky?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 17:01:25
Print Post

You can have Sky LLU broadband, as long as it isn't full up on that exchange, plus Sky Calls, with line rental to BT. So that would solve the BT contract problem. Just don't sign up for Sky line rental.

Just watch out for it being full up though, as I said. They would then possibly put you on the non-LLU Sky Connect.

That is dross.

TalkTalk Retail heavily throttled on P2P, so resold would be as well. Resold TalkTalk Business Wholesale seems to be the same with the two resellers I know of, and with a 100GB FUP, unless you take an add-on package for about £29. So what Chess do needs examining.

BT Broadband is losing its 300GB FUP next month, but will still be traffic managed at busy times.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 15-Mar-11 20:49:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

What do you guys thing then? Sounds like you are saying talk talk via Chess isn't the way to go and that maybe sky not either. BT?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 21:02:43
Print Post

Who said Sky LLU wasn't a good idea?

A BT Wholesale broadband connection, such as BT Total or one of the smaller, better, niche players is stuck with the painful IP Profile system and aggressive noise management. Did you say who you are with at the old address?

On LLU systems, if you get a bad sync for any reason, which can happen on the best of lines, as soon as you do a manual reconnection and get high connection speed back, you get the download speed that goes with that. On BT Wholesale ones you have up to five days to wait while the system thinks about raising the (lowered) IP Profile again. And your noise margin may have been raised, losing you connection speed, and that can be a big problem.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 15-Mar-11 21:14:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think he's referrring to the MER network that Sky have introduced
Could be. I didn't know they had done that. It seems to have been last year, though with some continuing problems?

Still TCP/IP and ATM though. Just something to do with the backhaul side of it? "MER, I gather is Mac Encapsulated Routing, or Ethernet over ATM - same as used on BEthere's network, and doesn't use PPP, so no CHAP authentication."

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to