General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 22-Mar-11 22:10:17
Print Post

Help with ISP

[link to this post]

Hey all,

I'm moving into a flat in SS1 2yh and not sure who to go with. Been with o2 for ages and quite happy with them, but looks like only Access is available there.

Long and short of it is that i'm probably down to Virgin or Sky, but heard some horror stories about Virgin.

Can anyone recommend a good course of action!

Thanks
Standard User john2007
(legend) Tue 22-Mar-11 22:14:16
Print Post

Re: Help with ISP

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sky LLU has a good reputation and are relatively inexpensive, especially so if you also want Sky TV.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 23-Mar-11 00:29:21
Print Post

As john2007 says, Sky LLU is reasonably good. Just watch out for if they are full up though, as then they would put you on Sky Connect, which is BT Wholesale based like O2 Access but even worse!

If you take Sky Line Rental with the LLU Broadband then that is Full LLU where the line doesn't count as a "BT line" if you ever want to migrate out. That can be a nuisance. With Sky Calls but not Sky Line Rental it is Partial LLU which is easy to migrate from.

You can get LLU Unlimited, Surfwise Variety and Surfwise Complete from vivaciti. The Surfwise Complete is Full LLU, like the Sky LLU + Line Rental above.

Xilo/uno also offer the same underlying packages as vivaciti so check there as well.

Don't be tempted by Orange. New customers seem to be being put on BT Wholesale as well, as they are winding down their LLU.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-11 09:47:08
Print Post

Thats either on the front or Chelsea, but either way your on the Marine exchange (same exchange as we are on in our office!) I think Sky is (or was at the very least) full up although that info I had was a couple of weeks old so maybe they have some more capacity in there, but you will need to ask them outright as their LLU is OK, but their connect package does not have a very good reputation.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 23-Mar-11 13:25:22
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Thanks guys I appreciate the responses smile
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 23-Mar-11 14:02:49
Print Post

Spoke to sky and was able to get the Sky Unlimited broadband which I'm being told is the LLU?

Thanks guys
J
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:05:20
Print Post

That's the one. Truly unlimited.

Did they give you an estimated speed? I'd say around 13Mbps due to the railway....

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 23-Mar-11 14:08:39
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

10mbps, not only the railway but quite a distance away from the exchange as well.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:12:57
Print Post

Yeah, I meant the extra distance needed to get the cables across the railway, I'm guessing they would use the main road.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Mar-11 14:42:46
Print Post

You should see a bit more than that I would have the speed at around 15meg there. The wiring does take a small detour from the exchange going via southchurch bridge and then along woodgrange.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to