General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Sassie
(newbie) Mon 28-Mar-11 21:32:17
Print Post

Looking for a reliable, reasonably priced, non LLU ISP

[link to this post]

I've had enough of Pipex and after 3 attempts they finally supplied me with a mac. My problem is that I wanted to migrate to Be which was highly recommended to me. But our exchange doesn't support LLU. I am currently getting less than 1mbps speed and can no longer watch short videos or iplayer without constant buffering. I used to get 3mbps with Pipex which was okay. My exchange can support 5mbps.

I want a reliable, unmetred ISP, but where I will get constant speed of at least 3mbps.

I considered O2, but seemingly their speeds are poor most of the time, going by reviews. I wondered about Plusnet but again there are a lot of unfavourable reviews. Zen are a bit too dear and cap their service, as do many others.

Any ideas?

Sassie
Standard User blueacid
(member) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:15:12
Print Post

Re: Looking for a reliable, reasonably priced, non LLU ISP

[re: Sassie] [link to this post]

Without LLU, you have to choose two from the following list: CHEAP, RELIABLY QUICK, UNLIMITED.

Which is it to be?

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Standard User blueacid
(member) Mon 28-Mar-11 22:17:25
Print Post

To elaborate a little - do you have any idea how much your connection is used per month (in GB). Of that usage, how much is stuff you could do overnight (ie big downloads), and how much is streaming / browsing?

Also, what's your rough budget? You might say "as cheap as possible" - but, what's going to win out? Cheapness at the sake of performance? Or would you like more performance but with a slightly thinner wallet?

Cheers,
Blueacid

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Sassie
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 06:51:34
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

I find it difficult to know what my usage is. I use the internet a lot, surf a lot, watch utube & iplayer, emails via internet email (not isp account), upload photos to websites, occasionally download music and software, computer downloads updates automatically every day, shopping online, etc. Probably have internet on around 50-70hrs per week.

I reckon around £20 is a good price to pay considering we can only get a speed of 5mbps.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Mar-11 08:47:31
Print Post

True unlimited with good peformnance on ipstream at £20 forget it.

The 50GB for £25 from Zen is about the best performance wise, some providers may do similar peak allowance with unmetered off peak.

The people like sky,o2 and others offering unlimited at under £20 do not offer the performance.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Tue 29-Mar-11 09:08:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I can only but echo what Andrew said.

I think Sassie you need to work out in your mind what is your main attribute. Price, Performance, Monthly cap amount etc and filter from that point.

Standard User blueacid
(member) Tue 29-Mar-11 09:30:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

To echo these comments here, Sassie, plus.net have a slightly older blog post explaining why unlimited for anything under about £100 (yes) has no hope of remaining sustainably quick:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/28/how-uk-isp...

Admittedly the costs have fallen small amount, but then again... So has the price of petrol. Still fiendishly expensive!

Cheers,
Blueacid
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 29-Mar-11 09:58:55
Print Post

You make a fundamental mistake in thinking there is any relationship (on non-LLU) between price and connection speed. Where there is a relationship is between price and what proportion of the connection speed you get as reliable throughput.

So I agree with the others, but have a suggestion.

Which is vivaciti Family 30. Ignore the other options there for now, the only ones you can get are the Home packages, more expensive.

The Family packages are Entanet based. A few years ago they went from being very good value for money to being unreliable, but in the last 12 months or so they have returned to being well worth a try. Note - they are monthly contract anyway so no problem moving again if it doesn't work out.

The variable factor with Entanet is your exchange. Because of the way their system is set up some are good in the day but less good in the evening, and others are reasonable in the day but good in the evenings. (To do with the true business usage on the node your exchange DSLAM connects to, see my WBC/WBMC/IPSC page if you want more detail - we can only know whether yours would be WBC or IPSC if you tell us your exchange, but basically it's irrelevant).

So I suggest you give it a go. There's a pretty good chance you will be happy, and it's no disaster if you are not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 29-Mar-11 10:26:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

One very feasible option and good for those working from home on market 1 is this

1. A line from people like Zen for the home working, i.e. good speeds and support
2. Second line with another provider that claims unlimited, but will be a bit pants speed wise possibly in the evening for home use.

Line rental costs add a fair bit to the price, but you can do it. 50GB on Zen is enough for me, until I started renting HD content from XBox Live and PS3 which are around 8GB a time.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sassie
(newbie) Tue 29-Mar-11 21:35:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Lots to think about there. I don't work from home and am mostly an evening/weekend user, except during occasional holidays. I'll check out Vivaciti. I see that slow speeds seem to be a common denominator with most isps, and part of me wonders if I should just stick with Pipex as things may not improve if I move.

Thanks for your replies meantime!
Sas
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to