General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dreaddan
(committed) Wed 30-Mar-11 11:41:51
Print Post

What llu provider

[link to this post]

Our local exchange has finally be unbundled with Sky / Easynet and TalkTalk (CPW).
Now I wont touch talk-talk with a barge pole directly but as some providers can just use them for the last mine I thought I'd check who use them.

I'm currently with Vivaciti who have moved me on to llu( and have no idea why) but as I'm only getting 5mb-6mb throughput(with a 13993 Kbps sync) I think its worth moving from the surfwise product.

So who do you recommend smile

Cheers
Dan
Standard User acpsd775
(regular) Wed 30-Mar-11 12:30:00
Print Post

Re: What llu provider

[re: dreaddan] [link to this post]

If you've got sky TV it would be worth getting broadband with them knocks it down to 12.50 from 15 and if you take sky talk with them too knocks it down to 7.50 as for talktalk resellers i cant really help you.

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
[img]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/ACPSD775...[/img]
Standard User baby_frogmella
(member) Wed 30-Mar-11 13:56:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by dreaddan:
Our local exchange has finally be unbundled with Sky / Easynet and TalkTalk (CPW).
Now I wont touch talk-talk with a barge pole directly

Actually going with talktalk direct isn't THAT bad. Sure their telephone support sucks but what do you expect for £3.49 pm broadband? AAISP-esque type phone support? If you don't mind using their web support (which is excellent BTW) and don't spank P2P then you will be impressed by their service...shock horror! I've been with them for 6 months and wouldn't think of leaving them...touch wood smile

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 17515/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 3.3 db down / 12db up
Powered by Billion BiPAC 7800N

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 30-Mar-11 17:23:12
Print Post

If you have a 14MB sync rate you should be getting a lot more out of the line than that. Have you raised a ticket with us for the speed issue?

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User dreaddan
(committed) Thu 31-Mar-11 00:22:18
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Hi,
I've just been told that you don't know why Im on LLU, i've asked about the diffrence in costs and if i should be getting better speeds.

Dan
Standard User reme8488
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 31-Mar-11 07:07:49
Print Post

I would say go with Sky & their 'Unlimited' package. I have a connection (line rental & TV with them as well as ADSL) & it's been excellent since having it installed about a year ago (will be riunging soon to see what new deal I can get out of them). Sky's Unlimited package doesn't have a download limit and I seem to get top speeds 24/7.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Regards...
Tom

My Photo Galleries

Line 1: Sky LLU @ 6.5mbit/1mbit
Line 2: BT Infinity @ 38.7mbit/10mbit (line length to FTTC cab 547m exactly)

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1190768709.png
Standard User dreaddan
(committed) Thu 31-Mar-11 14:03:44
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

no, which is why I pay more for by voice & bb.
I need a reliable connection which is why I've tended to stick with companys who have decent support.

I had talk-talk for voice before and left as soon as I could as it wasnt worth the savings .
Standard User dreaddan
(committed) Thu 31-Mar-11 14:07:53
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Do the LLU and Max products have the same network? as a friend was having problems with poor speeds such that he moved back to bt just before our exchange got unbundled?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 31-Mar-11 17:20:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by dreaddan:
Do the LLU and Max products have the same network? as a friend was having problems with poor speeds such that he moved back to bt just before our exchange got unbundled?
Not quite sure what you are asking there.

Sky have LLU Everyday Lite and Unlimited. They also have non-LLU Sky Connect, which is ADSL Max.

The Sky Connect is supplied when the customer's exchange is not LLU'ed, or it is but the LLU capacity is fully occupied.

The LLU and Connect networks are totally separate, at least until they get to the core Sky routers. Connect is through a BT Wholesale DSLAM/MSAN at the exchange and then back-hauled all the way to BT Centrals rented by Sky, where it is handed over to the internal Sky systems. They seem not to have sufficient capacity at that point, (insufficient Centrals), to prevent serious congestion a lot of the time. (I'm well out of date on costs, but BT Centrals used to be well over £1 million per year each, with a maximum 622Mbps throughput per Central).

LLU product customers' lines are connected direct to a Sky DSLAM/MSAN at the exchange and they rent dedicated backhaul capacity from one of several suppliers, possibly including BT, from there to their routers, but it goes direct to their own systems not to BT Centrals. No congestion.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User NickyJ
(member) Mon 04-Apr-11 12:44:23
Print Post

I recently signed up with Sky, switching to the LLU unlimited product. We have been very pleased with them, and their customer support has actually been quite good. Just stick to you guns with the first person (using the correct technical language), and you will be passed very quickly onto a technical person who (so far) seem to know what they are doing and talking about. I was expecting it to be quite poor but have been pleasantly suprised.

My Broadband Speed TestMy Broadband Speed Test
Just switched from Talk Talk business (nee Freedom 2 Surf) to Sky.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to