General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Apr-11 18:50:42
Print Post

Switching from Talktalk to Be Internet

[link to this post]

Hi there i'm currently an old tiscali customer signed up with talktalk but infuriated by their awful service. I am intent on switching to Be internet but was told that I would either need to have an engineer out from Be and wait two weeks, or I needed to get a BT line.

I have done the latter and signed up with BT for my line rental and phone calls, which will now enable me to get Be internet but I was wondering does it have to be with BT or are their cheaper alternatives that will still be compatible with Be internets service? I will cancel my BT signup if anyone can let me know someone else who is cheaper.

Also talktalk told me I cant get a mac code because im on an LLU network. I had a discussion with the guy at Be internet about this as he told me basically it shouldnt be a problem as when my phoneline is switched from talktalk to BT, talktalk's broadband will also be cancelled (as also told to me by talktalk) along with my phoneline as it is one big package. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and I am following the right steps? I was told I wont be able to have internet between my switchover date and when Be internet is up and running which is annoying (about a week apparently), but if anyone knows if im doing something wrong, or can point me in the direction of another company who can provide me with a Be compatible line then i'd be grateful.

Ash
Standard User Pod
(experienced) Wed 06-Apr-11 18:59:39
Print Post

Re: Switching from Talktalk to Be Internet

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

All sounds accurate, there are alternatives to BT such as the Post Office, but they are based on a BT phoneline, which is what Be requires.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Apr-11 19:08:06
Print Post

[re: Pod] [link to this post]

Hi thank you for the super quick reply, glad to hear that what ive been told is accurate. I looked up the post office and they said they charge 12.25 a month, which is only 75 p cheaper than the bt line and package ive signed up for so I guess no real point messing about. Is there anyone else who may use a bt line who are significantly cheaper?

Also i just phoned Be internet and was told something that I wasnt actually told before. I could have had my internet connection running the entire time while Be internet were using an engineer to set up my new connection, with zero downtime, however it would cost me 85 quid for the privilege. Its either 85 quid (which they wouldnt budge on) or a week without internet, meh, ill do without for a week.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Pod
(experienced) Wed 06-Apr-11 19:35:27
Print Post

I am not sure that any BT based phone packages will be much cheaper for quarterly line rental, although call costs may vary.

You may be eligible for BT Basic if you are claiming certain benefits, the rental cost is reduced a lot, but calls are more expensive over the included allowance.

A Pay-As-You-Go Mobile Broadband dongle may be worth getting if you are that bothered by downtime, certainly cheaper than the £85 quoted.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-11 21:04:52
Print Post

I hope you paid BT no more than £30 to have your phone line connected; that is their going rate.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Apr-11 21:33:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Hi there i'm currently an old tiscali customer signed up with talktalk but infuriated by their awful service. I am intent on switching to Be internet but was told that I would either need to have an engineer out from Be and wait two weeks, or I needed to get a BT line.

I have done the latter and signed up with BT for my line rental and phone calls, which will now enable me to get Be internet but I was wondering does it have to be with BT or are their cheaper alternatives that will still be compatible with Be internets service? I will cancel my BT signup if anyone can let me know someone else who is cheaper.

Also talktalk told me I cant get a mac code because im on an LLU network. I had a discussion with the guy at Be internet about this as he told me basically it shouldnt be a problem as when my phoneline is switched from talktalk to BT, talktalk's broadband will also be cancelled (as also told to me by talktalk) along with my phoneline as it is one big package. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and I am following the right steps? I was told I wont be able to have internet between my switchover date and when Be internet is up and running which is annoying (about a week apparently), but if anyone knows if im doing something wrong, or can point me in the direction of another company who can provide me with a Be compatible line then i'd be grateful.

Ash

Have a look at the link but if I where you I would go with the postoffice home phone

http://www.homephonechoices.co.uk/hpc_summary.asp?pi...
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 06-Apr-11 21:57:51
Print Post

Ah thank you I appreciate all the responses, will definitely have a look at the postoffice link that seems like a good deal. Ive considered a dongle for that week but I think it says a lot about me if i can't do without the net for a week!

Bt are switching my line at the exchange free of charge, confirmed this on the phone with them earlier. Used to have a contract with Bt years ago so i'm guessing our line was good to go pretty much.

Thanks again everyone, it's been reassuring!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 06-Apr-11 23:19:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Also i just phoned Be internet and was told something that I wasnt actually told before. I could have had my internet connection running the entire time while Be internet were using an engineer to set up my new connection, with zero downtime, however it would cost me 85 quid for the privilege. Its either 85 quid (which they wouldnt budge on) or a week without internet, meh, ill do without for a week.
That sounds like a lot of confusion, starting at their end and ending up with them confusing you.

I would be pretty sure they meant getting a new line installed alongside the TT service, with a new number, then Be Broadband being put on that. Then you just cancel the TT services.

Be do not have any telephone engineers. They are just talking about a BT line where you would pay the rental and calls to them (Be), and that line would be installed by BT Openreach.

I think the other posters so far have advised you well.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Apr-11 23:42:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I would be pretty sure they meant getting a new line installed alongside the TT service, with a new number
Could they not have meant transferring the phone line, same #, from TT to Be (as a BT line, performed by BTOR) and, somehow, TT BB remains on that line until Be migrate it to themselves?

Haven't we seen posts where TT Full LLU is transferred back to BT landline and TT BB still works as Partial LLU?

£85 is Be's landline connection charge!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 07-Apr-11 00:09:51
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

We have seen it done a couple of times recently by BT (Retail) when transferring from Full LLU Sky to a phone/bb bundle with BT. I don't think we have seen it done with TalkTalk but I could be wrong, but neither have I seen it said that it can't be done.

Plusnet also claim to be able to do this. Again, whether with TT as well as with Sky I don't know.

It all depends on the attitude of TT to letting their LLU run on a BT line in this scenario. We know Sky allow it.

Whatever, the tale the poster has been given is unclear to say the least! Script-speak - a Be engineer indeed frown !

As you say, the new line install by Be is £85, that was one of the tings that made me wonder ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to