General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Apr-11 08:48:55
Print Post

pascoa

[link to this post]

I am looking to get a new ISP as I am moving house. A friend recommended the phone co-op as a more ethical form of ISP. I fully agree to try and work with ethical companies, but am a bit worried about the phone co-ops quality as it is not too well reviewed. Do you know if any of the smaller ISPs use renewable energy or share parts of profits with charities?

edit: No idea if this helps but I just did the samknows availability check

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCKEN

I read somewhere else that phonecoop buy in on the talktalk network, which I am not too keen on. Thinking also about Vivaciti or TitanADSL or greenisp.net, but wondering to what extent they are ethical and/or different from what phone co-op would offer. Which line do they use?

Also, what benefit would be C&W network have and would any of these providers be able to provide it?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 11-Apr-11 09:59:38
Print Post

Re: pascoa

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
I am looking to get a new ISP as I am moving house. A friend recommended the phone co-op as a more ethical form of ISP. I fully agree to try and work with ethical companies, but am a bit worried about the phone co-ops quality as it is not too well reviewed. Do you know if any of the smaller ISPs use renewable energy or share parts of profits with charities?
Hi, if you want to be ethical for your broadband, go with the Post Office and support the downtrodden postman who has to deliver heavy useless leaflets, because emails are robbing him of his job.

http://www2.postoffice.co.uk/broadband-phone

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-11 12:03:22
Print Post

Vivaciti LLU Unlimited is C & W.

Can't help re the "ethical" questions sorry.

What does "pascoa" mean?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 11-Apr-11 12:26:11
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks! pascoa means easter in Portuguese!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Apr-11 12:59:43
Print Post

smile
I missed the bit about "what benefits" with C & W. There is a major one - it is (Partial) LLU rather than being based on BT Wholesale products. See What is LLU? on my website.

Which ISP are you with at the moment? I might be able to be more specific - as would others.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Apr-11 13:06:05
Print Post

Would have suggested GreenBee part of Waitrose in the past, but profits no longer go to charity.

On the renewables - http://www.greenisp.net/ from a quick google, though its only their office that is PV powered, the data centre kit and broadband hardware being another whole matter.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Apr-11 07:42:34
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Currently at Sky, and while I know they are doing carbon offsetting, I find the future near-monopoly over the news of BSkyB not something I want to support, so that's why I'm moving.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Apr-11 08:40:56
Print Post

Which Sky package?

If it is Sky Connect, almost anything would be better. If it is Sky LLU Unlimited that is one of the best.

C & W is at least LLU so no BT Wholesale (technical) problems.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Apr-11 11:20:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

How do I know which Sky I have. It's one of the bogstandard Sky packages. I guess an all in one wit LLU - I get uploads over .5mbps.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 12-Apr-11 14:26:17
Print Post

Also, if I would move to the Phone co-op. Does anyone have recommendations for a good router for their network?
  Print Thread

Jump to