General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jack05
(newbie) Fri 15-Apr-11 17:53:45
Print Post

Which internet for my close exchage

[link to this post]

Hello

I'm moving into a new flat soon and the exchange is actually in the next road to my pad which is 234m away on samknows

I am a heavy user and do alot of gaming

BE offer 2.5m upload and virgin is 1.5 and sky is 1.0 even though they advertise 1.3
now BE offer Fastpath and sky don't. I don't know if you can do anything about ping with virgin to make it better.

BE Pro Unlimited + Landline £37.00
Virgin Media 50mb + Landline £38.00
Sky Unlimited + Landline £21.25

what ISP do you think I should go with and a different one?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STSHRLY
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 15-Apr-11 18:06:15
Print Post

Re: Which internet for my close exchage

[re: Jack05] [link to this post]

VM is upgrading to 5Meg upstream if memory serves me right on their cable services, and 100Meg is rolling as an upgrade option over their network too.

VM generally wins if willing to pay the price, though it is worth seeing what others say in the area for gaming, as congestion can ruin gaming.

Be Pro would be the other choice.

Sky while cheapest, is going to probably be the network with the poorest gaming performance out of them all.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 15-Apr-11 18:13:16
Print Post

[re: Jack05] [link to this post]

As you are a gamer, fastpath is of importance, therefore my choice would be BE*
Sky are a one size fits all and will not enable fast path they also run dlm
Virgin CABLE yes(but they do throttle p2p on some packages) but Adsl NO as is BTW based ip or data stream which suffers with congestion, throttling of p2p, and also runs their DLM which serves to cap connections for no good reasons sometimes, and even though you can allegedly get interleave switched of, this isn't always as straightforward as it should be not to mention DLM can & does revert the profile back to interleave if it thinks there is a problem

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jack05
(newbie) Fri 15-Apr-11 20:00:00
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

yes both my parents are on sky and both have 16/17 however i did manage to get fastpath on sky at one address and the ping is stable 9 (cmd bbc) because i said if you don't put me on fastpath im leaving sky (end of contract) and it was a simple thing to do and my line is very good but it took me to go through 4 people and the person had to ask there boss. so anyway its sky policy to not have fastpath and i rang them up to get fastpath at the other address good line aswell and i said i had it on another line although you can get fastpath on there connect package. he was asking for the phone number who my other address so he was going to turn it off! as said SKY is not for gamers however it's been decent with the fastpath.

I heard virgin media is good in some areas and bad in some areas as im moving to a new address I won't really know anyone... unless i ask neighbours if i see them out lol. Virgin is rolling out a 10meg upload with 100meg download in june i think. The upload is important for me because I upload alot of HD videos and would like to HD Stream but i think you need at least 5 meg for that.

BE seems to be the best option at the moment I heard its the dogs nads for gaming. for pings and easy login page to enable fastpath.

However virgin is only £1 more expensive than BE
  Print Thread

Jump to