General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mathew2
(member) Tue 19-Apr-11 22:36:46
Print Post

Possible change to Sky Unlimited LLU from Plusnet Pro

[link to this post]

Hi All,

I'm currently a happy PN Pro customer and have been for over 2-years, I have never had an issue with it really.

Sky and talktalk have just become available in my small exchange (~2.9k residential connections).

I'm thinking of switching to sky LLU for broadband (keeping BT for rental for ease of ISP switching if Sky poor) as they are so much cheaper (would save £10 pcm) and offer unlimited use and the possibility of faster speed (sky's webpage says 8-10Mb on my line, I currently max out IP stream with an 8Mb sync).

How is sky, many problems? Is it fast at all times of the day like PN pro? Is it traffic shaped? Any cons compared to PN pro? Is static IP a possibility?

Thanks for any replies.

plusnet bbywpro sincemarch '09

Edited by mathew2 (Tue 19-Apr-11 22:37:40)

Standard User acpsd775
(member) Tue 19-Apr-11 23:19:30
Print Post

Re: Possible change to Sky Unlimited LLU from Plusnet Pro

[re: mathew2] [link to this post]

Hi i can answer a few but not all they do not traffic shape at all. As far as i no from friends family it stays the same speed all day/night for them. They DO NOT offer static ips at all and the only con is that you've got to use there router its in there terms. But most people including my self in a few week will be using own routers by extracting login details from sky router. My best friends estimate was 8-10 he gets 14 i think they lower it to cover there own backs so you cant say well you promised me this speed etc but cant be 100% on that could just be him being lucky.

Ive just gone from VM to sky (phone rental and broadband already had sky TV so get BB for 7.50) and saving over 22 quid a month compared to VM just waiting on my modem coming threw the post i would recommend them if you want unlimited un shaped downloads and to save a few quid a month.

If you post your current router stats im sure we can work out a rough estimate that you should be able tyo get on skys ADSL2+

Ash

-------------------------------------------------------------
Virgin Media 50Mb/s
Sky Broadband Unlimited
http://speed.io/pics/4107/0447/speed.io.png
2004: Blueyonder 256k/512k => 2006: Blueyonder 2Meg => 2009 Virgin Media 10Meg => 2009/10 Virgin Media 50Meg => 21/04/2011 sky Unlimited Speed Yet To Be Seen

Desktop 1 Intel Core i5 2500 4gig DDr3 1333 64GB SSD 250gig sata 3 HDD 1TB sata 2 HDD Blu-ray RW Nvidia 8800GTS Win 7 Pro
Desktop 2 Intel Atom 330 2gig DDR2 677 250gig sata 2 HDD DVD-RW Win 7 Pro
Standard User mathew2
(member) Wed 20-Apr-11 18:57:43
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Hi Ash,

Thanks for your advice and information. If they don't traffic shape and assuming it's not oversubscribed speeds should be great. No static IP is a bummer but ain't going to change often with a router connected anyway. Thanks for offering to look at my stats. Not quite sure what you need but below is what I could find on my router's web interface (2 wire 2700HGV):

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 8128 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 12.0 dB (Downstream) 24.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 16.0 dB (Downstream) 8.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 19.8 dBm (Downstream) 12.1 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {TSTC} Specific: {0x00}
PVC Info: 0/38

I think this means I am maxing out BT's ADSL1 IPStream which supports upto an 8Mbit sync? Wonder why BT has been so slow compared to LLU providers in moving beyond 8MBit...

Off topic...
I just called BT to cancel auto renewal of evening and weekend contract (just want them for line rental, have mobiles for calls). Muppet tried pushing BT broadband and arguing with me claiming it will support the max speed my line will,etc. etc. Really struggled to get him to do what I called for! Not only that.. but if cancelling evening and weekend 12-month renewal you also then later have to call back on the renewal date as you automatically go onto a monthly plan paying for evening and weekend calls (£3pcm). They can't do it in advance and if you do it a day late you pay the £3 for that month - they must be getting millions out of that.. screwing their customers.

Edited by mathew2 (Wed 20-Apr-11 18:59:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 19:11:48
Print Post

In reply to a post by mathew2:
Wonder why BT has been so slow compared to LLU providers in moving beyond 8MBit...
BT has moved; it's called 21CN WBC. If your exchange is enabled thus you can get up to 20 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 20-Apr-11 20:01:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by mathew2:
Wonder why BT has been so slow compared to LLU providers in moving beyond 8MBit...
BT has moved; it's called 21CN WBC. If your exchange is enabled thus you can get up to 20 Meg.

Unfortunately it too (just like 20CN Max) suffers from IP profile management restrictions after loss of sync unlike most if not all LLU connections.

Harry
Standard User mathew2
(member) Wed 20-Apr-11 20:17:05
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sorry, yea, slipped my mind. The way BT put it to their customers is that it's available everywhere and they can't be beaten on speed - bull.

Still, no good for me and suspect LLU Sky (just become available) will get the best speeds?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCEAR

Cheers

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Apr-11 20:26:20
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I've yet to assess whether it is unfortunate.

Orange has just forced me to move to WBC 2 nights ago. I have not yet seen any adverse effects from the BT Profile:
IP Profile for your line is - 13519 Kbps
but is early days yet.

My only grip is that I've lost about 0.4 Meg from my Up Speed. Is 888 Kbps the norm for WBC Up Speeds?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User mathew2
(member) Wed 20-Apr-11 21:45:48
Print Post

[re: acpsd775] [link to this post]

Did the speed check at Kitz and Sky User using my attenuation number and it came back with 20 Mbit. 12 Mbit more, unlimited usage, and half the price.. bit the bullet and ordered, will phone for MAC in the morning. Fingers crossed Sky will be as good as PN Pro!

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Apr-11 22:00:32
Print Post

20Mbps is top limit. If your home wiring is OK, a minimum of 18Mbps. Bad wiring may mean below 18Mbps.

If you haven't already optimised your wiring, now would seem a good time. Start with the Ring/Bell wire and Miscellaneous Nasties pages in my Troubleshooting section.

A very sensible move.

(By the way - when you move to Sky LLU, they put you on 4Mbps for the first few days while their DLM susses out the line. So don't panic smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User mathew2
(member) Thu 21-Apr-11 18:21:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. Just had a look at my faceplate and it's an openreach (house built 2007). Only other things connected are a cheapo phone on an upstairs extension (filtered) and a filtered dect base off the master faceplate.. so all Ok I think.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to