General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User coolspot
(newbie) Fri 22-Apr-11 18:44:49
Print Post

Orange Broadband Are Improving Their Service

[link to this post]

I received an email from orange broadband saying that they will be upgrading their service and this may cause disruption for the short term near future.

Just thought i would share this as many people dont have great things to say about their internet, even though i have never had any problems with Orange.

I have included a link to the email as i couldnt paste the whole thing here. enjoy..

http://www.internetspeedcheck.co.uk/articles/email-f...

Standard User smurf46
(regular) Fri 22-Apr-11 19:27:06
Print Post

Re: Orange Broadband Are Improving Their Service

[re: coolspot] [link to this post]

Assuming you are on LLU, they are decomissioning it and transferring customers to BT WBC (assuming your exchange has 21CN), or if not it could be a downgrade to IPStream! Experience seems to be mixed on the result (speeds improved on my poor line), and there is a discussion on a couple of threads on the Orange forum.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Apr-11 19:30:30
Print Post

[re: coolspot] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by coolspot:
Just thought i would share this as many people don't have great things to say about their Internet, even though i have never had any problems with Orange.
Just wait until they "upgrade" you! It's no improvement! They are moving you from LLU to BT 21CN WBC. You may have had no problems on LLU, but after 4 days I have found the WBC service slow and extremely unreliable with constant LCP discons.

Why don't you read and post in the Orange forum? You are not enquiring as to which ISP.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Apr-11 10:27:49
Print Post

[re: smurf46] [link to this post]

Hi smurf46, Orange are transferring users from Orange 20 Meg LLU to BT WBC 21CN 20 Meg and not to BT Max 8 Meg IPstream that would contravene the contract.

Users who think they have been transferred to BT Max 8 Meg were never on LLU in the first place, you only have to see their upstream speed 448 Kbps to confirm this. wink

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User smurf46
(regular) Sun 24-Apr-11 11:16:07
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Hi E7er, I'd agree with you except that not every exchange with Orange LLU also has BT's 21CN - the two are independent systems. I'd hope that Orange would only make the transfer on lines which have 21CN at the exchange, but I'm not sure they can handle that level of sophistication. I'm sure the whole thing is driven by money saving though of course marketed as "service improvement": though how that pans out when they have to deal with customers who now have to deal with WBC problems that they never had with Orange LLU (which I think is inevitable given the complexity of ADSL) could be interesting.

I suspect if they think this is going to reverse their fixed-broadband decline, which they say they expect to "grow" from now, then it's rather like not watering my freshly planted garden plants in this drought! In my experience they've always abdicated any responsibility to manage their service: just bung in the technology and let it get on with it: good when it works and hopeless when it doesn't. Never mind, Orange clearly are disciples of the marketing adage that no-one ever lost money by betting on the gullibility of the Great British Public, did they?

Edited by smurf46 (Sun 24-Apr-11 11:35:08)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Apr-11 10:42:36
Print Post

Hi smurf46, I would think if there are LLU ISPís at the exchange, and I cannot see it having only just Orange LLU, it would be in BT WBC interest to install 21CN at that exchange, I really cannot see them not doing so.

I thought the idea of LLU was cost reduction for the ISP in comparison to BT charges, now to convert your customers from LLU to BT WBC 21CN and for BT to manage the network must be very expensive for Orange. I understand 21CN is all digital exchange, this must be planning for the future. I hope Orange keep paying the bills.

Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 25-Apr-11 16:24:39
Print Post

Why are there new exchanges on SamKnows showing Orange LLU if they are getting rid of it?

My exchange showed Orange LLU in the past month

Sky Broadband
Unlimited
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Apr-11 23:12:29
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BuckleZ:
Why are there new exchanges on SamKnows showing Orange LLU if they are getting rid of it?

My exchange showed Orange LLU in the past month
Hi, that has been said before, donít believe all that Samknows. crazy

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/freeserve/t/3994396...

Print Thread

Jump to