General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-May-11 16:15:26
Print Post

BT Infinity or Virgin

[link to this post]

Which service would be better for me?

There would be 4 laptops connecting, doing a range of general surfing, downloading music & films (legally) and video streaming.

Virgin offer 50mb download in my area, but i assume that will increase when they roll out 100mb.

Will infinity increase their speeds?

Currently on o2 Unlimited package.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-May-11 18:07:00
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity or Virgin

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What is your O2 connection speed from the router GUI?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 12-May-11 20:52:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

DSL Type:
G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
1,287 / 11,628

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Thu 12-May-11 21:04:24
Print Post

If your into any sort of online gaming, Xbox, PSN, WOW etc now isn't a good time to join Virgin, they are having huge issues with their traffic management and its causing lag and disconnects for many of their users:-

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/Call-of-D...

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Gaming/bd-p/Gaming

I'm sure they'll nail it but its been 3-4 weeks now and gaming is basically unplayable after 5pm
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 12-May-11 22:25:47
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

I'm sure they'll nail it but its been 3-4 weeks now and gaming is basically unplayable after 5pm'
'
'
'
'
'
'
''

maybe for some there are issues but tbh i'm not finding any including gaming on XBL...it's the same as it's always been. 100%

Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Thu 12-May-11 22:58:41
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Which is why I said some, it affects certain areas of their network, but.. you'll find a hell of a lot of people complaining about it and 3 - 4 weeks to fix? Not good

Read the links I posted and forums.xbox.com lots of unhappyness

Edited by GMAN98 (Thu 12-May-11 22:59:47)

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 12-May-11 23:03:50
Print Post

[re: GMAN98] [link to this post]

yea i was having a look @ the links you posted and it's not looking good....one thing i noticed was that the one game they seamed to be talking about was black ops...i play forza 3 most nights and have spoken to a few people that were also having probs with black ops...2 of them in question i no are on bt broadband and one of them is with vm..they all seam to be having similar issues..

i wonder if it is an issue with the hosting of black ops rather than the network that the user is on....

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-May-11 23:07:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
DSL Type:
G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:
1,287 / 11,628
I was just checking it was worth your while spending the extra money, as if you had been 18Mbps+ you would be losing your unlimited unmanaged connection for Infinity's traffic management, particularly on P2P, or VM Cable's that I know little about but the comments here and eleswhere are not encouraging at the moment.

I assume you download a lot, so there is little competition to Infinity unless you and whoever else is using your connection are happy to spend quite a bit more to get enough allowance without traffic management. Orly and yarwell have composed this useful summary spreadsheet.

In my case, as a light user, I was able to go for the lowest IDNet option which gives 10Mbps up, and a free month for paying for a year in up front. Click the Live BQM in my sig to see my latency.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User GMAN98
(committed) Thu 12-May-11 23:33:01
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

From the moans I've read its the network, you can't join other people's hosted games or host or do anything, even downloading demos and films are affected, after 5pm its unusable.

Appreciate some are unaffected but for many they are. And Virgin's tech support response on the phone is

"We don't support Xbox live"

2 page "Need for Speed" spread in Edge magazine this month saying how their 50Mbps broadband service is the choice for gamers smile

Edited by GMAN98 (Thu 12-May-11 23:33:48)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 13-May-11 12:50:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for that. I do not download that much but i suppose there is a low of streaming.

Do you think Infinity will increase in speed?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to