General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BlueMermaid
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 04:14:22
Print Post

Help finding a good isp for new flat

[link to this post]

Hi there

I moved into a new build flat in April and the post code wasn't showing up on most isps databases and I needed to get the phone line connected first. The Post Office were the only ones who could get my post code onto their database quickly, so I got my landline connected with them. Up until now, because of the problems getting a landline, I bought a 3 dongle and got mobile broadband. Now I have my landline, I want to get broadband through that.

I'd been living with my parents for years before moving into the flat, due to having a long term illness. I am on disability benefits because of the illness, so don't have a lot of money. My dad very kindly let me use his broadband on his wireless network while I was living there but we both became very fed up with it after Talk Talk bought Tiscali. Up until then we'd had no problems at all. As soon as Talk Talk took over, our speeds dropped to dial-up speeds and we were constantly getting disconnected.

So, I've been researching isps a lot online, as I want a really good service in the flat. The only isp that seems to get consistently good reviews is BE Broadband but they are more expensive. I really want to go with them but not sure until I know how much all my other bills are going to be each month, whether I can afford them. The other thing is, living in the flat is a test for me to see if I can cope alone (because of the illness I have) and if I can't, I'll be going back to live with my parents at the end of the tenancy or at least, find somewhere closer to them. So, BE are a good choice again because they do a 3 month contract but that's even more expensive and you have to give 3 months notice if you want to leave, as it's a 3 month rolling contract. Does that mean I'd have to cancel at the same time as signing up, in order to not be charged for leaving???

My main question to you please, is whether my research is correct and there really isn't any other isp as good as BE Broadband? It would be great to find one as good but cheaper! Probably asking for too much though!

Btw I'd like to go for a broadband/phone bundle (with talk anytime for phone, as post office is talk evening/weekends). Didn't go for the Post Office broadband/phone bundle because their broadband had bad reviews. A couple of people recommended Plusnet but I've read a lot of bad reviews for them as well. Can't get cable at the flat, so Virgin is out. Don't have Sky tv - have Freesat to save money. Anyway, as I said, the only isp who gets great reviews everywhere is BE.

I like to watch iPlayer a lot, so that's another reason I like the sound of BE, as they don't do traffic management (been reading about that), which might make watching iPlayer at peak times difficult. I was originally going to go with O2 as I could have got a good deal with them, as my mobile is with them. Then I read about their traffic management and got put off.

My post code is HP1 1AS. I don't know which exchange it is on. I see most people here give that information amongst other things. You may have noticed I'm not a techie! Don't know if you can find out the exchange if you need to know it, as you might have trouble with the new post code. The town is Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 04:22:56
Print Post

Re: Help finding a good isp for new flat

[re: BlueMermaid] [link to this post]

PS When I searched for availability on the BE site, broadband came back as fine but phone didn't. Will have to see if that's true if and when I phone them up, as it might just be due to my post code not being on their database and maybe because I now have the phone line connected the post code won't matter.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 13-May-11 07:30:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by BlueMermaid:
My post code is HP1 1AS. I don't know which exchange it is on. I see most people here give that information amongst other things. You may have noticed I'm not a techie! Don't know if you can find out the exchange if you need to know it, as you might have trouble with the new post code. The town is Hemel Hempstead in Hertfordshire.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
This is your exchange according to Samknows http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SMHH

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 13-May-11 08:10:55
Print Post

According to BT that post code should get circa 17Mbps or greater via ADSL2+. The Be connection is ADSL2+.

Be is said to be truly unlimited.

You also have the option of Sky LLU, also ADSL2+ (you no longer need to take Sky TV to get Sky Broadband). Sky is also said to be unlimited. Sky LLU has a good reputation.

If Sky have no spare capacity at the exchange they may offer you Sky Connect (a resold BT service). Sky Connect (non-LLU) is said to be poor.
Standard User iand
(experienced) Fri 13-May-11 20:04:57
Print Post

what about plusnet?

IanD
Standard User thomas19essex
(newbie) Fri 13-May-11 20:14:24
Print Post

look at orange home broadband. i just joined them and its very good n fast.

my speed test http://www.speedtest.net/result/1294729327.png

if you sign up tho topcashback.co.uk you get £70 cashback smile
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/orange_home_broadband/
(newbie) Sat 14-May-11 02:15:46
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks BatBoy. Really kind of you to look that up for me.
(newbie) Sat 14-May-11 02:19:43
Print Post

[re: john2007] [link to this post]

Will have to look into Sky now you no longer need to have their tv service. Will also have to look up what LLU is, cos see it being mentioned all the time! Thanks for your warning about Sky Connect and for the whole of your detailed reply John2007.
(newbie) Sat 14-May-11 02:23:42
Print Post

[re: iand] [link to this post]

I was put off plusnet by the bad reviews it has online iand. My brother has it though and it seems ok for him, plus someone on an email list I belong to which has nothing to do with computers recommends them to people all the time and computers are her job. Still put off by the bad online reviews though. Thanks for your suggestion though iand. I wonder if they are your isp?
(newbie) Sat 14-May-11 02:30:02
Print Post

[re: thomas19essex] [link to this post]

Thanks for your suggestion thomas. Your speedtest is certainly impressive! Thanks for posting that and the link to the cashback site. Again, I've been put off orange by the bad online reviews and as you've just joined them, it's possible you could have probs with them in the future. Hope you don't though!

As I said, if only I could find an isp with such consistently good reviews as BE but cheaper! Will have a look at the reviews for Sky. I wonder if I'm taking too much notice of the online reviews of all the isps???
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to