General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Lemuk
(newbie) Mon 23-May-11 14:05:10
Print Post

Broadband General Issues...

[link to this post]

Hi I just moved into a flat and Broadband? Phoneline? No! The flat is also registered as a single Business address... which it hasnt been for years, the council has the flats registered correctly for council tax, but no other companies are able to find the 5 flats.

So first off... Does anyone know how to get my flat registered as an independant residence? Places like confused.com or Virgin etc class it as a business.. Grr!

Second of all.. How on earth do i get broadband? The exchange is: Here

I know the first subject is not relevant to here, but it is a cause of lack of broadband?

thank you in advance for any help!

Sam
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-May-11 17:36:01
Print Post

Re: Broadband General Issues...

[re: Lemuk] [link to this post]

This can be a pain to resolve, we have 2 of these cases at the moment and working to get the phone line installed is a pain (although it will happen) problem is the main data base that needs updating is the royal mail one, and although they are OK in updating it, this change then has to filter down to other providers, these databases are expensive so not every company updates as often as they could.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Edited by vivaciti (Mon 23-May-11 17:44:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-May-11 17:40:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by Lemuk:
The flat is also registered as a single Business address... which it hasnt been for years, the council has the flats registered correctly for council tax, but no other companies are able to find the 5 flats.
Hi Sam, welcome to the forums.

You say "no other companies", but that's a bit of a wide statement. Do you mean PostCode checkers, or address checkers or what? I don't understand what you mean by "registered as a single business address" either. Where? Who with, if it isn't the council?

What does the BT Wholesale checker have to say about the address?

If that gives useful information then we are over the first hurdle. As to suppliers, it partly depends on the sort of broadband usage you will have. For ordinary browsing/email/shopping/banking etc. the Post Office could be a good choice for line and broadband.

For heavy downloading or even just the best non-cable/FTTC broadband then Be.

Others to consider are Xilo/uni, vivaciti and ADSL24, all of which supply C & W LLU, and although I know nothing about their quality of service Tesco also resell C & W.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-May-11 17:42:06
Print Post

Re: Broadband General Issues... *DELETED*

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 23-May-11 17:45:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

changed, cheers Bob.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User Lemuk
(newbie) Mon 23-May-11 18:30:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi RobertoS, thanks for your reply, yes I mean post code checkers, go compare, virgin, cofused.com etc all see this as one address. The post office lists this as one premises - no flat breakdown, so maybe speaking to them would work towards solving the postcode checker issue?

As far as broadband goes... When I plug an analogue phone into the socket, there is no sound what so ever, itís as if someone has hung up, yet the line is active. You can hear yourself talking on the phone line.

The BT Wholesale Checker says:

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

If you decide to place an order, a further test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check. "

Which seems terribly slow! Plus it only listed the premises as a single one. I intend to go with someone such as BE but they cannot even find the flat frown

BT claim that there were 3 lines into the flat where 1 was de-activated, they are enabling this line in the hopes this activates my line.

Does this still mean that I can get the (up to) 24mb broadband from BE and have the fastest provide able?

Thanks

Sam
Standard User nredwood
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-May-11 19:27:40
Print Post

The address stuff is all to do with something called PAF (Postcode Address File) which is something that Royal Mail sell to other companies for address lookup - one of the biggest is a Experian QAS

This may help you
http://www2.royalmail.com/customer-service/personal-...

As has been mentioned though, it often takes a while for the data to filter down from Royal Mail to these address verification software suppliers

Be* Unlimited
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-May-11 19:34:08
Print Post

... yes I mean post code checkers, go compare, virgin, cofused.com etc all see this as one address. The post office lists this as one premises - no flat breakdown, so maybe speaking to them would work towards solving the postcode checker issue?
Now I understand. Messy.

I think the Post Office do need sorting out, but how you go about it I don't know. I get the impression vivaciti have been there, done that before.

Vivaciti can of course do the phone line and unlimited LLU (up to 24Mbps) on that exchange.
As far as broadband goes... When I plug an analogue phone into the socket, there is no sound what so ever, itís as if someone has hung up, yet the line is active. You can hear yourself talking on the phone line.
Pass.
The BT Wholesale Checker says:

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your address indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 7.5Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 8Mbps ....

Which seems terribly slow!
The estimate is low because it isn't enabled for BT "up to 24Mbps" supply. Only ADSL Max which can't go over 8Mbps. You can ignore the 2Mbps bit, that is a hangover from pre-ADSL Max days. But it has LLU (up to 24Mbps) from several. With that ADSL Max estimate I would expect quite high "up to 24Mbps" actual speeds.
Does this still mean that I can get the (up to) 24mb broadband from BE and have the fastest provide able?
Just answered, and including vivaciti/C & W as a viable alternative.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Mon 23-May-11 19:59:04
Print Post

That tells us there is electrical continuity back to the exchange -- the circuit is energised but no service is active on it.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
  Print Thread

Jump to