General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User rcf100
(newbie) Tue 24-May-11 23:27:32
Print Post

Line speed different with different ISPs?

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am wanting to change to a cheap phone and broadband deal. I'm currently on Madasafish, provided though BT I believe and Plusnet are doing a deal which is cheap for my area, and again I belive this is coming through BT. I've had a look at my exchange and Sky, Orange & Talk Talk have LLU. The BT wholesale info on the exchange is ADSL Max enabled.

Now my issue is I live really far away from the exchange so I have rubbish line speed. Would it be possible that I could get faster broadband from moving away from BT to one of the others? If so how do I check?

Talk Talk were round the other day and they reckon they can give me line speed 5x more than Plusnet reckon they can give me (1Mb plusnet, 5Mb TalkTalk). I'm not inclined to believe cold callers or Talk Talk, so how can I know if one ISP is faster than another? I would ideally like a cheaper deal than I'm on now (not difficult) but not Talk Talk because of their shocking customer service reviews, so maybe Sky would be an option for me? Obv if the Talk Talk line can give me 5x anyone else I'll go with them, but don't want to be tied into someone more expensive for a year than I can get elsewhere for the same speed

Help please
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 25-May-11 00:42:59
Print Post

Re: Line speed different with different ISPs?

[re: rcf100] [link to this post]

You perhaps could get a fast speed from an isp that offers the service via their own network,(llu)

whilst it is impossible to know what speed you would be able to get for certain until you are connected, all you can get until then are guesstimates that mean very little in the real world,

could you post your line stats from your router so we can give you guesstimate based on your attenuation rather than the way bt does it,

If you have sky tv already sky maybe wouldn't be a bad choice for you, but it's advisable to keep your phone line with bt ,as should you ever wish to leave them it will only require a mac code, otherwise the process of returning your line to bt can cost you money and involve some downtime for both phone and adsl,

Just something you should be aware of before you decide, as for talktalk they will only do full llu unless they cannot connect you to their network, & that would be the same type of product that you are currently having issues with a resold bt wholesale or ipstream product, and such resold product through sky(known as connect) or talktalk would be dire,compared to their own llu

Standard User hitachi
(experienced) Wed 25-May-11 08:58:35
Print Post

Re: Line speed different with different ISPs? *DELETED*

Post deleted by hitachi

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-May-11 12:33:23
Print Post

See here for help finding the line stats Tommy requested, if you don't know how to get them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-May-11 13:09:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by rcf100:
Hi,

I am wanting to change to a cheap phone and broadband deal. I'm currently on Madasafish, provided though BT I believe and Plusnet are doing a deal which is cheap for my area, and again I belive this is coming through BT. I've had a look at my exchange and Sky, Orange & Talk Talk have LLU. The BT wholesale info on the exchange is ADSL Max enabled.

Help please
Hi, for cheap as chipsÖ take a look at Orange.

If you have Orange mobile phone contract? It can make your broadband service even lower in price by £5 per month and you stay on the BT network for Orange landline phone and Orange broadband. wink

http://shop.orange.co.uk/broadband/

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 01:21:03
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Is your sig still right - re Orange LLU, or are you now on the BT Wholesale White Label service like XRaySpeX?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 27-May-11 01:39:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Believe E7er still on LLU; his exchange not yet 21CN'ed.

Wasn't aware I had scotch whisky piped down my connection; thought it was just WBC wink

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-May-11 13:38:31
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I seem to remember there have been a couple of hard-luck stories posted in the last month, where people have been moved from LLU to IPSC, (IPStream/ADSL Max replacement on non-21CN exchanges).

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jun-11 15:05:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Is your sig still right - re Orange LLU, or are you now on the BT Wholesale White Label service like XRaySpeX?
Hi, Iím not telling! Figure it out from my stats below.wink

View Broadband Link Details
DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 11984 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1145 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 10.2 dB (Downstream), 6.2 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 30.2 dB (Downstream), 14.9 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 18.6 dBm (Downstream), 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x9662}
PVC Info: 0/38

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1323314143.png

http://www.pingtest.net/result/41393343.png

My exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/CMKNO

Orange (SMPF) LLU 20 Meg. Sync 11864 Kbps Downstream, 1157 Kbps Upstream.
3Com 3CRWDR101A-75 ADSL2/2+ wireless router
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jun-11 16:31:00
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

OK!
In reply to a post by E7er:
Current Noise Margin: 10.2 dB (Downstream),
= LLU grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to