General Discussion
  >> Which ISP? (Residential)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Str4ng4r
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 10:51:58
Print Post

Need help choosing new ISP

[link to this post]

I am looking for a new ISP as I having nothing but trouble with my current one (SKY) and the problem still hasn't been resolved in the last three months of contacting them.

Exchange:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/MYELL

Router stats:
Port..........Status......TxPkts........RxPkts.........Collisions.......Tx B/s......Rx B/s........Up Time
WAN.......PPPoA.......729.............774................. 0.................339..........886..........00:09:05
LAN........................10653 .........8442................ 0................4016........1028.........00:27:38
WLAN.....................3150............969..................0.................1601........458...........00:08:55

ADSL Link.....................Downstream........Upstream
Connection Speed..........1440 kbps...........768 kbps
Line Attenuation..............60.5db................31.5db
Noise Margin...................11.6db................12.0db

I know my down/upload speed won't be great but I just need a more reliable service as my current connection drops at least 4-5 times a day. I also live about 5.7 kilometers away from the exchange.

I already have my MAC code. Can any one recommenced me a reliable ISP from the information provided?

Thanks, Str4ng4r
Standard User Str4ng4r
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 12:00:55
Print Post

Re: Need help choosing new ISP

[re: Str4ng4r] [link to this post]

I have just been in contact with BE and 02 and because I live further than 5 kilometers from the exchange I can not subscribe to there broadband services. Does anyone have any experience with the C&W Home LLU package from ADSL24?

Str4ng4r

Edited by Str4ng4r (Thu 02-Jun-11 12:29:17)

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 02-Jun-11 12:54:16
Print Post

If the line is a little bouncy one thing to think about if being on ADSL2+ might be to try the line on ADSL2 or even just an ADSL Max profile, might help to stabilise the line a little, long line can be unstable and wont be much help on ADSL2+

[Edit due to spelling]

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Edited by vivaciti (Thu 02-Jun-11 12:54:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-Jun-11 13:32:15
Print Post

Invariably if the issue is the downstream noise margin varies a lot and causes drop outs when at under 6dB, then changing ISP will not help.

Another ISP that tries a 15dB target margin might be stable, but that would drop connection speed to 1Meg, i.e. slow you down.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Str4ng4r
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 20:03:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

1 meg would be OK if the line was stable, anyone got any suggestions?

I rarely get the speeds shown in the router stats, that's if I can manage to get a connection. Having to resort to my mobile broadband most of the time. Don't know where I would be without it.

Str4ng4r

Edited by Str4ng4r (Thu 02-Jun-11 20:03:57)

Standard User Str4ng4r
(newbie) Thu 02-Jun-11 20:29:43
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by vivaciti:
If the line is a little bouncy one thing to think about if being on ADSL2+ might be to try the line on ADSL2 or even just an ADSL Max profile, might help to stabilise the line a little, long line can be unstable and wont be much help on ADSL2+

[Edit due to spelling]

Which package would you recommend from your website with my stats. I am not bothered about losing a little download speed in return for a stable connection.

Str4ng4r

Edited by Str4ng4r (Thu 02-Jun-11 20:30:45)

Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 03-Jun-11 11:42:06
Print Post

It would depend on what sort of usage you use per month.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to